Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Question about Wastegates

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005
Abortion Survivor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Question about Wastegates

Ok i have a question about wastegates. Right now i have the stock sf internal wastegate but i wanna change to a external wastegate. Is this possible? Where would i make the flange for the wastegate to go? Also if i do upgrade which wastegate do you recommend i get i wanna go really high boost settings planning on running 20 once i finish my block
Old 10-14-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want to convert to external wastegate. You have get a new manifold and downpipe flange to block the internal wastegate.

edit : I said go w/ tail wg
Old 10-14-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
well is there better internal wastegates
Old 10-14-2005
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Michalo187
well is there better internal wastegates
what is your goal of having a better wastegate? do you want to run more boost than the internal wastegate allows?
Old 10-14-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Ok i have a question about wastegates. Right now i have the stock sf internal wastegate but i wanna change to a external wastegate. Is this possible? Where would i make the flange for the wastegate to go? Also if i do upgrade which wastegate do you recommend i get i wanna go really high boost settings planning on running 20 once i finish my block
The turbo will have to be modified for the new gate. Also, The manifold would then to have to converted to accept an external gate. Chances are that you will also have to also change that turbo too. It might not be that efficient at those higher boost levels. I have mapped out a potential few for that PSI.

I recommed TiAL. The best bang for your buck. Feel free to drop me line. We are a TiAL distributor.

Last edited by dezod; 10-14-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2005
Abortion Survivor

Thats a lot of modification but i really want to have an external wastegate What is the sf wastegate supposed to go up to in boost?
Old 10-14-2005
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Thats a lot of modification but i really want to have an external wastegate What is the sf wastegate supposed to go up to in boost?
Not to put you down or anything, but why do you want an external wastegate? Is it cause somebody told you its a much better system? Well for high boost max HP applications they are prolly right. But dont forget you have a d17. And the internal wastegate can run as much PSI as your boost controler( if you have one ) will allow you to. For most boost applications the internal will be more the enough.
Old 10-14-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

Originally Posted by tfnaaf
Not to put you down or anything, but why do you want an external wastegate? Is it cause somebody told you its a much better system? Well for high boost max HP applications they are prolly right. But dont forget you have a d17. And the internal wastegate can run as much PSI as your boost controler( if you have one ) will allow you to. For most boost applications the internal will be more the enough.
I have to agree. Just save the money for internal or something. I mean look $500+ for new manifold, tail wg $250+, turbo (maybe) $700+. you are looking at 1k+ just to convert to external.
Old 10-15-2005
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
I have seen some applications that change the exhaust housing on the turbo so it allows you to run an ext wg. I think the internal gate its self is welded shut, not exaclty lure. But like the others have said play it the cost efficient way.
Old 10-15-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

^^^it is a flange that does that.
http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/gart3forstyl.html

even though u did that. You still will have to get new manifold and wg.
Old 10-15-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Originally Posted by stl01civic
I have to agree. Just save the money for internal or something. I mean look $500+ for new manifold, tail wg $250+, turbo (maybe) $700+. you are looking at 1k+ just to convert to external.
you dont need a new manifold, you cut a hole, weld a flange, install gate. So really youd just need the wastegate and some welding, and get a flange the blocks off the turbo's internal wastegate port.
Old 10-16-2005
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skipbarber
you dont need a new manifold, you cut a hole, weld a flange, install gate. So really youd just need the wastegate and some welding, and get a flange the blocks off the turbo's internal wastegate port.
you might as well get a new manifold... especially if you have the older SF manifolds that aren't equal length... it's better in the long run and it'll look cleaner than just drilling a hole and trying to weld a plate inside the manifold...
Old 10-16-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i dont remember what the non-EL SF manifolds look like, Im using an SF EL manifold and just welded a flange near the collector. but i guess if your manifold wont accomodate a flange, youd have to get a new one and probably a new down pipe too.