Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!
View Poll Results: Which exhaust should I run with my turbo setup?
GReddy Evo 2
42.86%
RS*R ExMag
57.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

need to get everyones opinion on my exhaust setup.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
need to get everyones opinion on my exhaust setup.

I'm gonna be running a T3 super 60, around 8psi. with greddy emanage/rsx injectors. and I think I have narrowed my choices down to two exhaust systems:
GReddy Evo 2 or RS*R ExMag.

I really really want a RS*R ExMag mostly for the low profile look

but with 60mm piping (about 2.3") people keep telling me that it will dramatically increase my spool time.

otherwise, i'll go with the GReddy evo 2

which i assume would be much much louder than the RSR, thus calling more attention to myself. And honestly, im not a big fan of the ginormous tip.

Old 10-01-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I'm waiting om the rsr. Coming today or next week so I'll let you know once its on. Its supposed to be less noisy than most and tuned to midrange. Prolly not the best exhaust for turbo cause of piping size like you say. Why not go for a turboback? The greddy evoII is very loud I've heard it on a mild modded civic before. Not bad, just noisy and I'm sure turbo will make that worse.
Old 10-01-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drk01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
The greddy evoII is very loud I've heard it on a mild modded civic before. Not bad, just noisy and I'm sure turbo will make that worse.
^Nope. The turbo will quiet down your exhaust note ALOT. I had a Kamikaze header with stock midpipe and an HKS Hi-power rear section and that was louder than my full 3 inch turbo back exhaust with a 75mm HKS carbon titanium muffler. I like the look of the RS*R ExMag but I would go with a custom 3 inch exhaust.

Last edited by Drk01Civic; 10-01-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wow cause all the turbo cars I hear around here are as loud as motorcycles. Maybe they're all ricey and don't have cat or something.
Old 10-01-2005
i have a new home do u

v8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of light
the might be externally wastgated, and have an open dump tube
Old 10-01-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
RS*R flows very well from what other members have said. And it by far is the most attractive exhaust available for our cars hands down. its almost OEM, but a nicer tip, and its CLEAN and performs very very well.

I wouldnt worry too much about spool time too... 1st in a STOCK civic gets up to mid rpms fast so with boost helping then on you are gunna be ok. our cars are rockets to 20, then thats it w/o boost lol.
If it really bugs you get a tougher clutch and learn to drop it at mid-high rpms to launch.

And if I am not mistaken the turbo will keep your exhaust quieter until you get close WOT then its alot louder... correct?
Old 10-01-2005
Registered!!

If you want to sacrafice power for looks, then get the RS*R. It's not going to perform as well on a turbo charged vehicle, though.
I think your best option is to buy a 3 inch muffler, a 3 inch resonator, and go to a reputable exhaust shop. It'll probably be cheaper, just as quiet, and perform much better than either of your choices. I'm sure you'll be able to find a muffler you think looks good, too.
Old 10-01-2005

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
yea, i knew the exhaust tone would be lower than an N/A motor. I know mex ran the RSR with his SF kit and reported no problems. I think im even more confused now! lol
Old 10-01-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
rsr is clean and japeness
Old 10-02-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
the greddy evo is very quiet on turbod cars. I was using the greddy evo catback with removed cat with sf turbo kit and its not as loud as you think. Your car be will be mellow and very quiet. The turbo is louder than the exhaust IMO.
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
OMG,
I have generic OBX full bact back 2.25" on my turbo. I have silencer as well.
The only thing I hear is "jet sound" from the turbine. Thats all, no engine sound. My exaust is veryyyyy qiuet.
With out silencer its louder only on the low end, mid and up, gets stock quiet.
I think any exuase will be louder on the low end, but it will get quiet from the mid and up (reading from the forums).
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
I think, go with the "looks"...
Old 10-02-2005
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
get a custom 3 inch!
Old 10-02-2005

^thats a tad bit excessive. lol
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by skipbarber
^thats a tad bit excessive. lol

No it's not.

There are WRX's running around with 3.5 and 4 inch exhausts and your turbo is bigger than theirs.
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Yeah might as well go to a local muffler shop and have them do a custom job, and get 3 inch. Three inch is a little excessive in the 150-200whp range, but it definitely will not hinder performance. If you ever wanna get to the 250-300whp range 3 inch will probably help. So if you wanna save some money and get better performance goto a muffler shop, you may also get them to do it really clean with it running down the passenger side or something.
Old 10-02-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
i think im going custom but do you use ur own tip?
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
Dezod is coming out with a 2.5" stainless steel turbo exhaust that uses an OEM style oval canister muffler. You can wait for that or get a custom 3" set up, but beware, if you leave in a place like NYC with horrible streets with a lowered suspension your mid pipe will be eating dips and bumps. My friend's 3 " turbo exhaust got pinched and then sliced down the mid pipe on the Brooklyn-Queens Expwy.

Oh, and a 2.5" turbo exhaust will not make such a big difference when compared to using a 2.36" RSR exhaust on boost. On the other hand, a 3" turbo exhaust will most definitely make noticeable difference when compared to a 2.36" RSR exhaust on boost.

I hope this helped you out.
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
^That is why it is good to have them tuck the exhaust away as much as possible, there is a good place down the passengerside, I have seen a member on here done like this and it was very clean looking.
Old 10-02-2005

i remember someone posting, maybe it was dezod, that going above 2.5" simply moves the power up and down the rpm range. Something about you want exhaust gasses to flow at a certain rate to maximize power and efficiency. Anyways, I dont think im going with anything larger than a 2.5" since Im not planning on breaking the 200hp mark, so I dont think 3" is what im looking for. Am I making any sense?
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

Nope. I think you are cheating yourself out of some free power after listening to other people's bullshit.
Old 10-02-2005
Premium Member

you're gonna wish you had the 3 inch in the winter...
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

This has been discussed many times, yes 2.5" is fine for under 250whp maybe even more, but why not go with the 3"? Why would'nt you want to go higher than 200whp? I do not see why you would not go with a 3" custom?
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Drk01Civic
Nope. I think you are cheating yourself out of some free power after listening to other people's bullshit.
He's right when it comes to boost your going to want as much power that you can get away with. Have you ever driven a 350 hp FWD street car? If not, find a friend that has one and take it for a spin. It will convince you with no doubts in mind. Oh, did I ever tell you how boost is like crack, it's addicting. The way I experienced it, after driving a turbo car, I never want to drive an N/A car again. But that's just me. All others are entitled to their own opinions.

Last edited by Alex1; 10-02-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Go RSR, seriously. How much HP can it seriously rob you? 5... 10? Who cares. I have Nitrous and I have 2.5 inch piping going into the HKS HiPower axleback. The axleback piping is close to stock size. Am I being robbed of power... maybe. But I love the HKS look which is why its still on there.

On a sidenote, I'm not even sure If im being robbed of power. My car will do low low 14's maybe even break 13's if I could get a decent launch or had drag radials. I only know on person being in that area with nitrous for our cars but he has other mods like PnP and VAFC, etc. (DJmota)
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

10hp maybe more, it depends on the mods.
Why not go with 3"?
You can get your tip or muffler or whatever and have a shop fab an exhaust, if you really care about looks like that. You can get one made to look just like that rsr one it is so simple, you can get something better that looks the same is what I am trying to say.
I just do not understand why you would want to be robbed of easy power gains, it does not make sense. I know it is your loot, I am just trying to help so that in a year you are not spending more money than you have to with that turbo.
Old 10-02-2005
Premium Member

ya it is really easy to have them weld on a big tip if you want. no big deal.
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

Chun_Kit is an unknown quantity at this point
i just got my greddy evo 2 installed into my civic..it's pretty nice..its not too loud and i'm gettin a pretty good response in power..i think at least...my friend told me that i prolly wont feel much yet..or that i might feel a bit less right now..but once it breaks in i would be able to notice it..but i drove from LA to san diego after i got it installed and it seems pretty good..its not too loud unless you rev it higher but its pretty good...it looks nice too..i'll see if i can get some pictures up on it
Old 10-02-2005

Originally Posted by jackburton
10hp maybe more, it depends on the mods.
Why not go with 3"?
You can get your tip or muffler or whatever and have a shop fab an exhaust, if you really care about looks like that. You can get one made to look just like that rsr one it is so simple, you can get something better that looks the same is what I am trying to say.
I just do not understand why you would want to be robbed of easy power gains, it does not make sense. I know it is your loot, I am just trying to help so that in a year you are not spending more money than you have to with that turbo.
hey, thats the whole reason behind this post. I ran into this "issue" and figured you guys could help me decide. Im not afraid to admit that i ran into something that I didnt know too much about and thus am seeking opinions from people who know. This is one of the last things i need to get my setup up and running. By the look of it, everyone with boost experience is telling me to go custom 3". So I guess that's what i'll end up doing. I appreciate everyones help, keep it coming!
Old 10-02-2005
spoolin by you

Spoolin should not be trustedSpoolin should not be trusted
cool beans

Quick Reply: need to get everyones opinion on my exhaust setup.