Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Supercharged d17... Something to think about...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vantage should not be trusted
Supercharged d17... Something to think about...

Hey peoples, hopefully the thread title got your attention, i was at work today super bored and i started to think. I believe i read somewhere in here, that a d16y8 IM with modifications, can and has been put onto our engines.

Therefore, i got to thinking. has any1 out their considered the idea, of the headswap and adding a JRSC?? I havent really thought too too much about this yet but lets have your thoughts.

I know up here in canada u can get a d16y8 SC'r for about $1600 complete(used) which is DIRT cheap. I was trying to think wat parts would work , and wat wouldnt and all i could really think of that would get in the way, is electrical and fitment. Since a SC'r doesnt need a new exhaust manifold you wouldnt need anything special, a Y8 manifold can be modified to work on a d17, so why couldnt the JRSC y8 manifold be port matched to fit just the same?

No its not as powerful as a turbo, but since the price of 7th gen turbo is still at a premium right now, this might be a nice cheap alternative since a Sc'd y8 gets 142.5whp with NO other mods( check the dyno sheet) i could see a SC'd d17 making upwards of 160+ WHP with minimal mods.

Think on this, i might be persuaded to give it a try, since there is a 6psi SC kit here on sale for $1500 right now, maybe $200 to portmatch the manifold.

Feel free to thrown in your opinions, especially on electrical since thats where my talents lack.

I doubt it will work tho, looking closer the mounting point wont work on our engines and probably custom brackets must be made

Last edited by Vantage; 08-11-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2005
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
the D16intake manifold wont fit. I have one that i completely ported sitting next to my feet. you need to cut the flange off and weld a D17 flange on.

ive been trying to sell this thing for ever! im just building my own instead of modifying this one.

Old 08-11-2005
Banned

MiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to all
^ someone made it fit, i believe it was barney. he had a venom IM from a d16 on his car
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Dude be brave and try it out. If it doesn't fit, just re sell it haha. Props to you if you try it first.
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
i have a d16y8 all done up on my d17 port matched and all, your not trying hard enough hehe.
Old 08-11-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MiamiUgen7
^ someone made it fit, i believe it was barney. he had a venom IM from a d16 on his car

Old 08-11-2005
ALGARETE

PICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of light
where can i get that?
Old 08-11-2005
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
i could have easily made mine fit. But i guarantee that my manifold will flow better than a stock D16 manifold. I built one on my CRX and gained a considerable amount under boost.
Old 08-11-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
I want that venom one. I wanted to buy it back in the day but didn't have money
Old 08-11-2005
ALGARETE

PICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PICHY2G
where can i get that?
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

Vantage should not be trusted
the D16intake manifold wont fit. I have one that i completely ported sitting next to my feet. you need to cut the flange off and weld a D17 flange on.
U cant weld, u forget our d17 IM's are plastic.

Also, i know for a fact, as stated in this post. There is about 5-6 members here with d16 IM's on their D17. I dont know if the JR IM will work, but hell its worth a shot. id settle for 165whp for only $2000, instead of 180whp and 6000 for a turbo.

Any1 have any other thoughts on the d17 SC? i would love to give it a try, but i gotta go back to school, and thats more important right now. just a thought for someone that has 2000 bucks lieng around and has some welding skills for the mounts.
Old 08-11-2005
Banned

MiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to allMiamiUgen7 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PICHY2G
where can i get that?
its custom made.....
Old 08-11-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
"U cant weld, u forget our d17 IM's are plastic."

Wow. There is such a thing called metal which can be welded. Obviously you would need to get an intake manifold flange custom made.
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
actually fellas the injector flange is cast aluminum. I made 3 manifolds for these cars. one of which worked really good, the other two sucked. I sold the good one in favor of the y8 because I needed the cash to put into my EMS fund. The y8 works awesome for me. Not as good as the one I made but I can always make another when my machinist gets slow.
Old 08-11-2005
DONT PANIC

^^ well said.

I too have made several manifolds. And ive also built several turbo systems. And now im finishing up my motor.

I favor a longer runner custom manifold over the short runner custom because i dont plan on running it to 9000 rpm, and i still want low end torque. And i have come to the conclusion that our head design favors velocity. So a longer runner manifold may work well.

anyway, back on subject.

You COULD modify the supercharger to work. You will just need to relocate some stuff and modify the supercharger manifold.
Old 08-11-2005
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
1. money will get u anything.
2. they arent making one specifically for a d17
3. get us all a picture of it on a car and working. then we can continue to talk about this subject matter
Old 08-11-2005
Boosted 04

joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
The only thing I think that would be hard to get to work is making all the belts line up correctly. Your biggest worry should be the placement differentce on the pullies from the d16 to the d17 motors. I know the d16 manis work cause i too am going to convert to one for my nitrous set up and I talked to cardnoff(spelling?) about it. He had a y8 mani working great for his turbo set up.
Old 08-11-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Wasn't there a member saying his shop could do a custom setup for around 8k? Yea anything is possible.
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

turboeng, My manifold had 15 inch long runners that were 1 3/8" long with a plenum of about 80-90 cubic inches in volume I think. It worked so good. I tryed 1 with a bigger plenum and shorter runners and it was SOOOOO horrible, those venom ones are a joke for a basic to mild d17. I firmly believe you cant fill that big of a plenum efficiently and keep up the velocity without having a big *** turbo and a good amount of real motor. Based on the head design Id say you hit the nail on the head with the velocity theory, the ports arent very big but the head seems to flow very efficiently.
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

Id be willing to bet somone could mod a supercharger to fit but you really would be better off buying dezods turbo kit if you were gunna get a brand new S/C and hack it all up. Turbos are more efficeint on small four cylinders for the most part.
Old 10-13-2005
PC Tech / Autocrosser

PrecisnTec will become famous soon enoughPrecisnTec will become famous soon enough
..::.. Sorry to resurrect a dead horse; curious if anyone has investigated a little further on this?
Old 10-13-2005
DONT PANIC

yes you can supercharge it.

turbos are probably cheaper. And nobody makes a kit. So you cant simply buy one off the internet.

those are the facts. accept it and let this damn thread die.
Old 10-13-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
nice
Old 10-14-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
if you can make it fit and find a belt big ebough to fit the SC, altonator, AC and crank shaft good luck.
Old 10-14-2005
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
i'll always go for a turbo over a supercharger
Old 10-14-2005
Registered!!

02nithwkcivcpe is an unknown quantity at this point
what about a vortech style supercharger, and then you would just have to try to find a place to mount it.
Old 10-14-2005
PC Tech / Autocrosser

PrecisnTec will become famous soon enoughPrecisnTec will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by turboengnr
yes you can supercharge it.

turbos are probably cheaper. And nobody makes a kit. So you cant simply buy one off the internet.

those are the facts. accept it and let this damn thread die.

It was never asked if a Kit we made, we know this already.

The reason I bumped it was the original post was made in relation to using a JRSC from a d16y8 d16. Since we are finding that we can match a D16y8 manifold to the d17 head with having to open up two of the head bolt holes on the manifold, use different injectors, run a fuel return line, use a different throttle body and IAC. I don't see why this wouldn't work other than the possibility of the belt not being aligned with the existing accessories, but no one has done this so we don't know if they will be aligned or not.

So again, I only bumped this to see if anyone else had thought about this or possible had the equipment and might want to experiement. Of course a Turbo will make more power, but you can get these used S.C. kits for under $1k so if all you need is a few more parts, it's well worth it.
Old 10-14-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
it seems that it could be done imo, but not w/o some pricey custom work
Old 10-14-2005
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
beating a dead horse.... people are just starting to repeat themselves so i'm just gonna lock this...
Old 10-14-2005

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Michalo187
I want that venom one. I wanted to buy it back in the day but didn't have money
I belive that is still for sale.

Quick Reply: Supercharged d17... Something to think about...