Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

stage 2 na crower cam experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
stage 2 na crower cam experience

well after 3 days of hard work i have my clutch installed arp wheel studs in and finnaly today crower stage 2 cam and spring kit in. I invite anyone with a stage 2 cam installed to post thier experiences (boosted or otherwise) here.
Idle is rough I would call it more than "slighlty lopey at idle" I believe there will be some smoothing out with AEM ems but with just vafc2 I would call it more than lopey. I have to say it does sound cool. Hot rod ish.
My cam gear is set to 2 degrees advance...i just left it as i had it before. I may experiement with it in the near future. I will post results here. Sorry but there is no before dyno. you will have to look at the last dyno i had, many mods back. and take my wod that I was putting around 130 ish whp to the ground. 60 bux is 60 bux. I will post the final dyno when it happens. Untuned it barks third gear on command < may have to do with the clutch I just put in. It pulls slightly harder than before. dare I say it.... I felt vtec kick in when at partial throttle. It is obvious to me that there is alot of tuning to be done. It is noticable louder than before. I will street tune my AF ratio as much as I can with my wiideband. At partial throttle the af ratio is all over the place. < there is not much you can do about this with just vafc2. The stock ecu adjusts quite a bit. I am starting to look at EMS as my next mod. When I started my obsession with making na d17 hp I never thought it would go this far. My k swap looks so far away now. I keep thinking "maybe I will be satisfied with just this" ...NOT. Stay tuned It has just been a few hours since the install and I have only driven it a couple times. More to come.

Last edited by djmota; 08-04-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
thats weird.... i know the ems or e-manage is so much better but my neighbor has a b16 swap with 75 shot, skunk2 stg2 cams, i/h/e etc tuned with vafc and my friend with a DA teg has a b20 bottom and a ls head with crower stage 3 cams and he tunes it with the safc and there air/fuel is pretty good but u can hear the cams especially at idle. I am pretty sure ur air/fuel will be much better when tuned at a dyno. I also see quite a few people use the vafc or safc with dsm injectors tuned on 8 psi turbo setups so u should be fine, but if u got the coin for the ems deff do it. That would be sic to see a d17 with full pistons, rods, ems, cam, and with a lil bit of nitrous get in the high 200 hp range. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
gimme a ride ;P

I'm sure with the ems, you'd be able to take a good advantage of the cam ... with the stage 2, I'm assuming you also have the valve springs/retainers?

hello 8k redline?
Old 07-29-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
yup sprimgs and retainers are in there. I would not raise the redline untill I have ARP rod bolts... at the least, installed. A tuned dyno will tell where the power is at. Time to call some shops and get a price on tuning. A ride ...sure when its running as good as it can. I have yet to try spray thru it. I want to know where my timing is at.
Old 07-29-2005
Registered!!

fixeruper is an unknown quantity at this point
i gotta see it, maybe we could run, i just wanna see what the increase in power is
Old 07-29-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
once you're done with your setup ... http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/...motivetesting/

arguably the best dyno tuner in the US
Old 07-31-2005
Registered!!

02LX is on a distinguished road
which one is better the Emanage or AEM ems, because there is such a price difference
Old 07-31-2005
Registered!!

idk i think its personal prefrence but i have greddy and like it but i never had aem so couldn't really tell u
Old 08-01-2005
I am your Mom's Hero!!

KnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really nice
Great info in the first post...cannot wait for mine!! I am not wanting crazy power (obviously) will it be ok tuned with the VAFC?? Opinions on this??
Old 08-01-2005
Premium Member

I don't think that the stage 2 cam is for everybody. There is definatly a sacrafice in drivability. The idle is rough and it actually cuts off once in a while. You can't just stomp on the gas and go. you have to feather it up to 2k and then its cool. I personally think that vafc2 and a cam gear is not going to cut it. I'll haVe to get it tuned by a pro to find out for sure. I think that e manage with the ignition harness would be minimal to get this cam to idle better and probably perform better. < this is only a guess since no one has tried it yet. I'll monkey around with it for a week or two then take it somewhere.

Last edited by djmota; 08-04-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2005
Crawlin Similar To An Ant Low To Da Earth

Nokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura about
Like I said in another thread I think the only right way to use this cam is with EMS. I am going to have one installed and tuned hopefully by Aug18th. I have the Stage 2 with Vafc also and it just ain't right. The ECU makes idle jump around and once it settles at 800 (stock idle ) it is hella rough and does feel like cutting off... DJmota I had to put my VAFC @ -29 at 1000 to get it to idle withough cutting off...was flooding it at first. I agree with DJmota tho it ain't for everyone. If you want the "slight lope at idle" them get the EMS at $1500ish ...that is the ONLY way it will run right.
Old 08-01-2005
Premium Member

is the new ems that you don't have to run an extra switch for ac available yet? How much are you paying for the ems?
Old 08-01-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by djmota
I don't think that the stage 2 cam is for everybody. There is definatly a sacrafice in drivability. The idle is rough and it actually cuts off once in a while. You can't just stomp on the gas and go. you have to feather it up to 2k and then its cool. I personally think that vafc2 and a cam gear is not going to cut it. I'll habe to get it tuned by a pro to find out for sure. I think that e manage with the ignition harness would be minimal to get this cam to idle better and probably perform better. < this is only a guess since no one has tried it yet. I'll monkey around with it for a week or two then take it somewhere.

i think once you get it tuned up it wont stall on you or anything. just my thought.
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

oK small update. Fuel at WOT is close to where I want it, not exactly but close. The vafc2 will not give me any more fuel. I believe the stock fuel map is maxed out. Idle is still rough although it does not die on me anymore. I had fuel setting on the plus side at idle. I think this retarded the timing and made it hard for the ecu to keep it idling. I set it to zero and it helped a tiny bit. It pulls nicely. Playing with the cam gear is next. I am hoping it helps the idle more and helps the 1000-2500 rpm range more hospitable. I think I see AEM EMS in my future. Once my clutch is broken in I will try the spray.
Old 08-04-2005
G'z UP

Killacamshaft has a little shameless behaviour in the past
is it possible to get a short sound clip
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

sorry but I don't have the means to gte a clip or a vid. I use the computer and camera at work. Maybe i'll try to show up to a local meet and another member could hook it up.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

well there is one every tues. and a big one on the 20th? i think thats the date or the 14th
Old 08-05-2005
Registered!!

Vantage should not be trusted
I don't think that the stage 2 cam is for everybody. There is definatly a sacrafice in drivability. The idle is rough and it actually cuts off once in a while. You can't just stomp on the gas and go. you have to feather it up to 2k and then its cool.
I ran crower 403's in my b18a, ( stage 3) and they were awesome, took some playing around to get them to not die at idle, and yes it was a little bit of a challenge under 2k, but i never had to feather the clutch to get it to get going.

I love the lumpyness to.

I was at the track and a mustang guy with super lumpy cams, looked over at my car sputtering away( i had the cam gears adjusted so it wouldnt idle for my than 20 seconds by itself) and said" its funny cause your car sounds worse than mine, it puts a huge smile on ur face when u sound like a harly. Have fun tuning, u can probably squeeze 4-5 more hp outa the cams with SUPEr agressive tuning.
Old 08-07-2005
Registered!!

rino is an unknown quantity at this point
any news on whether you got it running better yet?
Old 08-08-2005
Premium Member

I Played with the cam gear this weekend. tried advancing it 2 more degrees +4 idle felt the same if not a little worse performance and AFR unchanged also gave me a CEL after a day or 2. gave it a shot at 2 degrees retard and to my surprise the AFR went richer than it was in the past. I believe that I was wrong previously about being axed out. I now think that with the adv settings I had the intake valve closing too soon and not letting in the full air/fuel charge get in the cylinder. It "feels" better when I am on it but that could be just my head. It does bark third better now Idle is the same and it gave me another cel this morning. I am going to try it at zero to see what happens there next. I know I need a dyno to really tell me whats going on but I am just experiementing and learnig at the same time. I am going to try and make it this tuesday to the local 714 meet. and maybe even to the one in cerritos this weekend. It been a while since I showed up to an event. IMO I still need EMS.
Old 08-08-2005
Registered!!

jdm_bb is an unknown quantity at this point
if my car was non vtec is it possible i can put this cam and it will still work?
I have d17a1
Old 08-08-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by jdm_bb
if my car was non vtec is it possible i can put this cam and it will still work?
I have d17a1
nope Its a different cam, head and rocker assy. Its not gonna fit. You would need to get your stock cam reground.
Old 08-19-2005
Registered!!

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road
any updates?
Old 08-21-2005

Nokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura about
Getting mine tuned with an AEM camgear and AEM EMS on the 2nd of next month I will let you all know how it turns out.
Old 08-21-2005
Registered!!

EM2typeflex is an unknown quantity at this point
^^so did you buy the ems already? Is it the new ems that allows a/c, or the swap box? Wish I would've waited for the new one, but I dont even know if its out yet
Old 08-22-2005
Premium Member

The new one is not out yet. Supposedly it will be the next ems realeased but who knows when that will happen. When it does I plan on picking it up. Small update. I dorve my car to las vegas from LA And got a cel that does not go away with resseting the ecu. Now my idle stays at 1500rpm. Also something wierd when I let off the gas to decelerate the ecu does not cut off fuel like it did before. I think I am in a sort of limp mode ignition map. It still revs all the way up but just not quite as fats as before. I think Its time to pick up an obd2 scanner.

Last edited by djmota; 08-22-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2005
Premium Member

scanned the cel it has nothing to do with the cam. low tps voltage. turned out to be a broken wire where I tapped for my n20 It did not run too bad with no tps.
Old 08-29-2005

supposed to be the 30-1030 which is supposed to fix the AC problem...that is what I was told at least...guess we will find out. think it was the 30-1070 that you had to rewire the ac.
Old 09-05-2005
Premium Member

I had to take an unexpected trip to new mexico this weekend in the vic. 800 miles one way. No problems whatsoever. for those wondering about gas milage. I got 35.7 miles to the gallon hwy doin about 85 all the way. I was pretty impressed that it still get good milage.
Old 09-05-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

wow! ... what a trip! ... that's a crazy drive

Quick Reply: stage 2 na crower cam experience