Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

how much will the ecu try to adjust the fuel while in closed loop

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leonhsieh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question how much will the ecu try to adjust the fuel while in closed loop

After reading all the info on honda tech about how obd2 will adjust fuel in closed loop, I just want to know, for all you ppl who have turbo, how do u guys get around it? (I personally reset my ecu every 4 days). Is there any other options beside split second esc1 or getting standalong?? or, just leave it as it is and assume the a/f that we tune at by using piggy back is beyond stock ecu's control??

thx
Old 07-22-2005
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
it will compensate +- 20%

It only compensates at part throttle. When you got WOT, it takes the last known correction, and locks it in. So if you are cruising, and the correction is -15%, then you punch it, that value is locked in. So you are losing fuel and running leaner.

But the opposite is also possible. It can run very rich by adding up to 20% at times as well.

This is why people's dyno graphs are always different.

You have to tune each individual car for fuel trims, keeping them as low as possible at all times. Once you do that, you will have more consistent fuel curves.
Old 07-22-2005
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
^^words from one of the greats
Old 07-22-2005
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
Old 07-22-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
I hated the piggy backed stock ecu. I never could get it to stay consistent. Every day it was a surprise. CELs running rich, lean, not at all. hehe I got an ex ecu if anyone wants it.. Maybe Ill torture it to death like it did to me.
Old 07-22-2005
Registered!!

thx for the input. Then, how can we tune partial throttle? I am worried that if ecu try to compensate fuel to desired a/f ratio(maybe 14.7) at partial throttle while boosting, won't it be too lean during boosting?
thx again
Old 07-22-2005
DONT PANIC

you have to use a scanner to look at the long term and short term fuel trims, and spend hours screwing with fuel settings to try to get the fuel trims as close to zero as possible. While screwing with the fuel trims, do not tune using the wideband. While at part throttle, give the computer the a/f it wants. It is normally safe to run it a little leaner while you are only under partial load. When you go WOT, that is when you need the fuel. And thats why you have to get the fuel trims right.
Old 07-22-2005
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by turboengnr
you have to use a scanner to look at the long term and short term fuel trims, and spend hours screwing with fuel settings to try to get the fuel trims as close to zero as possible. While screwing with the fuel trims, do not tune using the wideband. While at part throttle, give the computer the a/f it wants. It is normally safe to run it a little leaner while you are only under partial load. When you go WOT, that is when you need the fuel. And thats why you have to get the fuel trims right.
I'm confused,..... Why not tune with a wideband ?
Old 07-22-2005
DONT PANIC

you tune with a wideband at WOT. If you use a wideband to tune at part throttle, the computer will compensate and adjust the fuel to where it wants it. Then when you actually do to full throttle, the value that the computer has locked in will transfer over to the WOT setting, and it will mess with your tune. The computer has a "fuel trim" feature that can add or remove 20% of the injector pulsewidth. That means that if you are running an a/f ratio of 11.3 on one pass (lets say the fuel trim was at +12% this pass), then the next pass could be in the mid to high 13's with a fuel trim of -20%.

You have to tune the car under ALL LOAD AND ALL RPM VALUES! If you do not do this, then you will most likely have fuel trim issues.
Old 07-22-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
you tune with a wideband at WOT. If you use a wideband to tune at part throttle, the computer will compensate and adjust the fuel to where it wants it. Then when you actually do to full throttle, the value that the computer has locked in will transfer over to the WOT setting, and it will mess with your tune. The computer has a "fuel trim" feature that can add or remove 20% of the injector pulsewidth. That means that if you are running an a/f ratio of 11.3 on one pass (lets say the fuel trim was at +12% this pass), then the next pass could be in the mid to high 13's with a fuel trim of -20%.

You have to tune the car under ALL LOAD AND ALL RPM VALUES! If you do not do this, then you will most likely have fuel trim issues.
Exactly! even at NA I only tune for WOT on my piggy back. partial throtle tuning with a piggy back is just about useless.
Old 07-22-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

Well, im deffinately a N00B when it comes to e-manage tunning for sure. But if you have the tiem could you possibly explain How to tune by watching the fuel trim?
Old 07-22-2005
DONT PANIC

no prob

it is actually quite simple.

you need some sort of OBDII scanner that has a data streaming capability.

When you have that, set it up to watch the LT_Ftrm and the ST_Ftrm (long and short term fuel trims). When you have that, you need to have your laptop setup to watch your fuel tables in real time.

When you have those set up, you need to start cruising at low RPM (around 2k) and then start accellerating with a specific amount of throttle. You then watch both the fuel trims on the scanner and the fuel map on the laptop. When you see the fuel trims start to add or subtract fuel, you do the same on the fuel map.

so lets say you are at 3250 RPM and the scanner shows a LT_Ftrm of -2% and a ST_Ftrm of -14%. You should gradually take out fuel in the fuel map until the fuel trims come back down to around zero.

The difference between the LT_Ftrm and the ST_Ftrm is simple. The ST_Ftrm's are what the computer is doing at that specific point in time. The LT_Ftrm is the trend that the computer is seeing.

You know how they say your computer "learns"? Well, they are talking about the LT_Ftrm. Over time, the computer averages out the data it recieves and outputs it as a single variable (LT_Ftrm). When this is at or close to 0%, that means that you spend most the time with a 0% fuel trim correction factor.

When you disconnect the battery, this is the value that gets erased and must be "re-learned" in order for the car to run at its potential.

Typically i like to see fuel trims between +5% and -5% on the LT_Ftrm.
Old 07-22-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Very informative man. I knew it wasnt just me. What you are saying totally clarifies my old problem.
Old 07-23-2005
DONT PANIC

glad i could help!
Old 07-23-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

no prob

When you have that, set it up to watch the LT_Ftrm and the ST_Ftrm (long and short term fuel trims). When you have that, you need to have your laptop setup to watch your fuel tables in real time.

When you have those set up, you need to start cruising at low RPM (around 2k) and then start accellerating with a specific amount of throttle. You then watch both the fuel trims on the scanner and the fuel map on the laptop. When you see the fuel trims start to add or subtract fuel, you do the same on the fuel map.

so lets say you are at 3250 RPM and the scanner shows a LT_Ftrm of -2% and a ST_Ftrm of -14%. You should gradually take out fuel in the fuel map until the fuel trims come back down to around zero.

The difference between the LT_Ftrm and the ST_Ftrm is simple. The ST_Ftrm's are what the computer is doing at that specific point in time. The LT_Ftrm is the trend that the computer is seeing.

You know how they say your computer "learns"? Well, they are talking about the LT_Ftrm. Over time, the computer averages out the data it recieves and outputs it as a single variable (LT_Ftrm). When this is at or close to 0%, that means that you spend most the time with a 0% fuel trim correction factor.

When you disconnect the battery, this is the value that gets erased and must be "re-learned" in order for the car to run at its potential.

VERY informative! Thanx
Old 07-23-2005
DONT PANIC

no problem.

I am just happy i remembered that. I havent driven (let alone tuned) my civic since febuary.
Old 07-23-2005

liljoe is an unknown quantity at this point
so, couldn't you just disconnect your battery all the time so it doesn't "learn" anything differnt than what you tune it too?
i.e you disconnect you battery and then tune you car. and then everytime you take it out you disconnect your battery again. that way your always starting at the same point?
if so, is there an easier way to reset the learned fuel trims? maybe an OBDII scantool?
Old 07-23-2005
DONT PANIC

no, because when you disconnect the battery, it automatically starts learning everything. It then programs the long term fuel trims and updates is constantly. It can change the long term every second or more within the first few minutes of driving.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

BlackFire is an unknown quantity at this point
Then, I don't see how any piggy back could help on a daily driven car if it will do what it wants to, even using a +40% setting if it locked a -15% it will make you run lean at WOT.
Then why spend money on piggy backs???
Please right me, I know I have to be wrong but I can't see how those piggy backs could help then or how to do the tuning in a way that the ECU won't bother?
Old 07-24-2005
DONT PANIC

because you can still tune at WOT. You just need to have the proper tuning during the non-WOT part of the map.

once you get the fuel trims dialed in, you will have an extremely consistent a/f curve.
Old 07-24-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
Good explanation.

Added to TFAQ
Old 07-24-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
so is there a right or wrong way to relearn on an NA car after resetting the ecu? Do you need to drive a certain way? And when tuning using a vafc, I guess you can only do wot settings?
Old 07-24-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

Ijust watched short term and long term on my car. Short term changes a lot and the long term didnt seem to change much so that would mean its in good tune?
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

Question

no prob

I am confused. Correct if i am wrong. From what i read, STFT will alwasy hunt for desired a/f ratio under closed loop. So, if u try to make STFT to 0% with obd2 scanner, i think you are running close to desired a/f ratio(14.7). Isn't that too lean under boost? Also,I don't think LTFT will change immediately. LTFT will change if STFT keep making correction over time and it will transfer that setting to LTFT. And if LTFT changed, your tuning for WOT will mess up. That's why i reset my ecu every 3 days to not let STFT touch my LTFT. Again, correct me if i am wrong.
Old 07-24-2005
DONT PANIC

what was the long term like? Was it between -5% and +5%?

to make it relearn correctly, drive the car like you normally do.
Old 07-24-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

what was the long term like? Was it between -5% and +5%?

to make it relearn correctly, drive the car like you normally do.
It was between those values. But i only did this under light load. As i know im VERY rich under heavy load. I still need to pull a LOT of fuel out under WOT
Old 07-24-2005
DONT PANIC

leon, you are partially correct.

But one aspect that you need to look at is what a/f ratio the car is looking for under load. I know when i was at ~75% throttle with my car NA, the car ran in the mid 12's a/f. The car knows when it needs to be lean and when it needs to be rich.

The problem with resetting it every few days is this....

when you let it learn everything, it takes a while for anything to change the LT_Ftrm's,. When you reset the ecu, it updates it constantly.

but as long as your ST_Ftrm is constantly out of a desired range, then you need to tune to bring those within the limits.
Old 07-25-2005
Registered!!

Ok..thx for the info
Old 09-13-2005
Registered!!

kezay is an unknown quantity at this point
very informative thread.
Old 09-22-2005

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
So how the Split Second ES1 play a part in all these?

Quick Reply: how much will the ecu try to adjust the fuel while in closed loop