Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

DirectportNitrous

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
DirectportNitrous

Is there any direct port setups that will work with our cars? I know we have plastic intake manifolds.

If so how much would it cost.
I think I'd get ZEX.
Old 05-23-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
like a wet kit?? is that the same thing? if so, there are wet kits available, nx, nos, edelbrock (sp?) may have one.
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
Im not sure if they make a direct port kit for d17s, but they may make them for the y8 mani. Wich can be adapedt for your cars. . ..
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
I know the manifold is plastic but I don's see why it can't handle it.
How about this kit on a d17a2?

http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...&Store_Code=ZX
Old 05-23-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
direct port n2o on our cars.........stay away
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

alright thanks for the input, wet it is
Old 05-23-2005
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
Direct port isnt that hard to do on any of the B series. The only main difference is our mani is plastic but you can drill into that just as easily as you can aluminum so I dont see what the big deal is...if you wanna do it then do it.
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

That is what I was thinking, and it would give each cyl. a near perfect ratio.
Old 05-25-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
is ur mtr built?
Old 05-25-2005
Desperate Custom Swapper Speed Freak

vtecd17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Direct port nitrous bypasses ur intake manifold, so u wouldnt have to worry, cause its going directly into your cylinders with your fuel mix. So it wouldnt matter if ur manifold was made of alliminum or anything. So its fine.

FYI, the injectors u get r modified wit like another nozzle or something that sprays the n2o+fuel, which is supposed to give a perfect mix or something like that, so its the best to get. But I heard it can be hard on your engine.
Old 05-26-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
except you wont have nearly the room you need. I already tryed it. You need a y8 or custom sidemount TB manifold for it to fit. Believe me all the parts are bigger than you may think once you start putting them together. I still have a kit that Im saving for a special project. hehe
Old 05-26-2005
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
except you wont have nearly the room you need. I already tryed it. You need a y8 or custom sidemount TB manifold for it to fit. Believe me all the parts are bigger than you may think once you start putting them together. I still have a kit that Im saving for a special project. hehe

Ever try mounting it underneath? Thats no big secret ya know...and dont try to tell me it wont fit under there either because thats bull.
Old 05-26-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
it will but it would def puddle in the bottom. Im not e newbie here hehe. You can try it if you want though hehe.
Old 05-26-2005
Banned

No it would not puddle...I've seen it done enough times to know...it works
Old 05-26-2005
Registered!!

on a d17??? ive seen it done many times too, on d16s and b series engines. The only one I saw on a d17 did puddle and did explode im not gunna argue, if you say it works for you then I guess Ill take your word for it dude.
Old 05-26-2005
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
hahahha. this is funny.

Direct port nitrous and a wet system are NOT the same. Also Direct port nitrous does not inject it straight into the cylinder. It is called "direct port" because it sprays the nitrous directly into the port leading into the cylinder. Most direct port setups are wet systems (meaning that they add more fuel via nozzle along with the nitrous). I have seen a direct port dry system, but we wont go there.

The idea of a direct port system is to evenly distribute the nitrous to each cylinder. It is SAFER than a normal single fogger system because of this. Also, it makes more power because it has the correct nitrous/fuel mixture in each cylinder. With a single fogger in the intake pipe, each cylinder gets a different amount of nitrous, causing some cylinders to run lean, and others rich. This means that you are hurting some cylinders with a lean condition, and also losing power.

The direct port nitrous system is THE SAFEST form of nitrous injection (in my honest opinion). Any other way (single fogger, dry system, plates) is just guessing and hoping.
Old 05-26-2005
Registered!!

I was under the impression that we were talking wet direct port setup. I agree that it is definetly the best way to go but if you have it underneath that manifold, given the limited space, it puts it really far away from the port(assuming that you cant wedge the nozzles in the flange under there somehow). I just cant see how fuel mist wont collect on the runners and settle into the bottom.
Old 05-26-2005
Banned

Nitrous backfires happen when nitrous is improperly used like spraying while the engine is off and then starting it and spraying at low rpms, etc.... I seriously doubt the one you saw that exploded happened because of the direct port and no I havent personally seen a D17 with direct port but I'm not a newb either nor am I stupid so why dont you calm down dude.
Old 05-26-2005
Registered!!

im not un calm hehe I think you took it wrong, im not saying you are dumb or anything like that. I just didnt want you to think i was just spitting random turds out of my mouth. When all the factors are taken into consideration the d17 manifold seems to be a poor manifold to set up with direct port. Any other honda would be sweet though. The manifold that blew up was a 75 shot at wot 5500ish rpms in second gear set up by an experienced tuner. It can happen, not the most common thing but it can happen.
Old 05-27-2005
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
you can do a direct port on any car. It may be harder on some than others, and the viable options may not be apparent at first, but you can do it on any car.

What would I do with our manifold? Well, i would do a 10,000 RPM style spray bar in a spacer plate that goes between our plastic manifold and our aluminum injector plate. I would have the holes metered to what my HP goals are (no jets). And i would have them up at the top and bottom of the runner, with just the very tip of the bar sticking out.

Now dont anyone go stealing my idea. I already have a machine shop building this spacer plate for my car. And if i see someone else with one before me, ill chop off your ***** and feed them to my cat!
Old 05-27-2005
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
"And if i see someone else with one before me, ill chop off your ***** and feed them to my cat!"

Cats like *****? hmmmm
Old 05-27-2005
Registered!!

I wont take it, even though it will be a sweet set up.
Old 05-27-2005
Banned

That sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to set it up like that actually just to make it unique where as I would just take the easier route and even though I'm an advocate of nitrous, I dont mess with it anymore anyway so you wont have to worry about me stealing your idea.
Old 05-27-2005
DONT PANIC

lol. im not too worried about it. It is a lot of work, but it will be worth *most* of it. 10,000 RPM has been doing it like that for a long time, and they have been very successful with it. Theyve proven it to be extremely safe, and extremely efficient.

My cat will eat anything.
Old 05-27-2005
Crawlin Similar To An Ant Low To Da Earth

Nokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura about
I am installing a ZEX direct port system I got from Street Level Preformance. It is true that it will be tricky with our mani but I bet it can be done...just have to put the jets in diffrent places front to back on the mani.
Old 05-27-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the green eclipse on fast and the furious has direct port nos and look what happened to it.
Old 05-27-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gearbox
the green eclipse on fast and the furious has direct port nos and look what happened to it.
Yeah, also it has a NOS fogger system and a cool air intake.

God i love that movie