Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Finally a high HP D17....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Finally a high HP D17....

On the quest for over 350+whp on a D17, my buddy and I finally have the engine.

It's a fully built and sleeved D17... Going on Nas23's car... So look out for this mean little machine this year...

I'm going to go snap some pics and hopefully get them up soon.
Old 03-02-2005
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
Pics, you Tease....
Old 03-02-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
wow nice
Old 03-02-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, but how are you going to get that much power to the ground? THAT is our main problem.
Old 03-02-2005

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
New axels and DR's will put it to the ground. I want to know what your solution for the tranny is going to be.
Old 03-02-2005

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I was talking to Civic01, and we thought that if anyone was gonna be serious, they'd want new axels and possibly want to cryo treat the internals of the transmission. Then you gotta remember, there are NO LSD's for our car, so that torque steer is going to be REDICULOUS. So much potential for us, yet it's so far away
Old 03-02-2005

I got my eyes on 350whp by the end of the year. So this will be a good trial and error to watch
Old 03-02-2005

Good luck
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
where'd you get the motor parts, or are they custom?
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
Well, I was talking to Civic01, and we thought that if anyone was gonna be serious, they'd want new axels and possibly want to cryo treat the internals of the transmission. Then you gotta remember, there are NO LSD's for our car, so that torque steer is going to be REDICULOUS. So much potential for us, yet it's so far away
As I've stated before - quaife will most likely fit. Problem solved.

Or - install a spool.

Other problem I see - unless you get the EMS, that thing ain't going to fly.

The stock computer sucks for mods, as you are already aware of I'm sure....
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
By the way, not that I doubt you - but there have been others on here who have said they got internal work done on their D17 - yet no one who has spent all of that money, has shown any respectable numbers....

Hope you can put your money where your mouth is man, cuz I'd like to see it.
Old 03-02-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Old 03-02-2005
Stolen digital camera = no ninja picture for me

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
By the time you get that much horsepower the shell of the car is going to be the only factory part left, and you might as well have taken the k20 engine, and tranny. I say this not because of the money issue, but because if it takes that much money and work to get horsepower out of the d17, it will be a completely new car and will not instill any new hope into the d17 crowd.

I applaud you for your efforts though
Old 03-02-2005

Originally Posted by PoorCollegeBoy
By the time you get that much horsepower the shell of the car is going to be the only factory part left, and you might as well have taken the k20 engine, and tranny. I say this not because of the money issue, but because if it takes that much money and work to get horsepower out of the d17, it will be a completely new car and will not instill any new hope into the d17 crowd.

I applaud you for your efforts though
Alot of people say the same thing. Well I don't know about this guy but I build my d17 just to see the look on the other persons face when they find out they got spanked by a SOHC. It's so nice to say
"Oooooooooo B*tch, you got SOHC'd in the face!"
Old 03-02-2005
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
I no longer am a D17 owner ......but would love to see it.

I am a 2JZGE owner now......
Old 03-02-2005

Originally Posted by opto_isolator
By the way, not that I doubt you - but there have been others on here who have said they got internal work done on their D17 - yet no one who has spent all of that money, has shown any respectable numbers....

Hope you can put your money where your mouth is man, cuz I'd like to see it.
opto I can feel you on that one. I think I know exactly what your talking about. I think you make just as much power as some fully built d17's. I mean If your going to throw LC pistons on the car and lower compression and then run low boost, thats not gonna do you much good @8psi. your going to put out lower numbers then someone on stock pistons. Im not going to spend all that time and money to build my motor to hold 10lbs. 16-20lbs is where Im aiming.
Old 03-02-2005
Premium Boosted Member

OK here's the scoop... Shipping cracked the upper corner ofthe block but luckily it was insured so it's being paid for by UPS. It's only a structural part to mount another part to, not involving the head or internals in any way.

We do plan on using the AEM EMS. We also will be switching to gator axels (475hp rated) and ACT clutch and flywheel. This will be a long process, eventually finishing in the summer, but it should be running by may with about 10-12psi until we run the AEM system. The block can handle it, we just need to work on the rest of the car now.
Old 03-02-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
right on, congrats. Gimme about 7 or 8 months, and Ill be right behind you (or flyin by). I need to finish up my schooling, than with my first commision, completely built topend and block, transmission will be fixed up, methanol of course, ems, etc etc etc. All I need is my first pay for this, and its gonna be sweeeeeet. Should be done with school in about 1 or 2 weeks, after I pass the testing. Working on that now.
Old 03-02-2005
Boosted Auto

deciuss is an unknown quantity at this point
i am also on that quest so i guess that makes 3 of us 2 m/t right? and i have an auto
Old 03-02-2005
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MadWheel
OK here's the scoop... Shipping cracked the upper corner ofthe block but luckily it was insured so it's being paid for by UPS. It's only a structural part to mount another part to, not involving the head or internals in any way.

We do plan on using the AEM EMS. We also will be switching to gator axels (475hp rated) and ACT clutch and flywheel. This will be a long process, eventually finishing in the summer, but it should be running by may with about 10-12psi until we run the AEM system. The block can handle it, we just need to work on the rest of the car now.
U know who will be helping you in all this!
Old 03-02-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
alot of set-ups on honda-tech have d16's dyno at around mid 200 to low 300. That would be cool if u can get over 300
Old 03-02-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler

Even if you cryo'ed the tranny.....that **** won't hold after awhile.

I really don't see putting any money into this motor. 350hp is alot, but when you have 350 all motor b18's it really doesn't mean much. Spend $10,000 on a fully built, boosted SOHC and get raped by b18 swapped hatch with bolt ons and hondata.
Old 03-02-2005
Premium Boosted Member

oh well we'll see...
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
I believe in you guys, all you really need is a way to beef up the tranny. If there is a way to beef it up without costing an arm and a leg, I'll be right behind you guys lol.
Old 03-02-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
good deal man. i can't wait to see it. we juist finished build an all motor d16, sleved, zex cam/valve springs,port/poilshed,crower rods,pistons runing 11:1 compression, hondata, etc.... just to see if we could do it. we will be installing it in a month in my neighbors 95 civic, after emissions testing. i like the whole fact of building the d-series. their a diffrent class from the b and k series that everybody is looking towards so much, its cool to see somebody else trying to make an underdog powerhouse. i hope to see your dyno read outs soon. i'll post ours as soon as i can.
Old 03-03-2005

It's not that we don't believe in them, it's the fact that we hate to see people realize the truth after a lot of money. It's sad, but what civic01 said is absolutley true. I think the D17 can be a fun sporty car boosted, but gettign SERIOUS seems a little iffy. I support your efforts, though, Madhweel
Old 03-03-2005
Look what i did..

ExZaCc has a spectacular aura aboutExZaCc has a spectacular aura about
Bump for my boy MADWHEEL and the soon to be BOMBIN d17. good luck
Old 03-03-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, the D17 can make a lot of power if the tranny gets some work done. May be expensive, but will definately be a fun 3-400 HP car to drive. You can eat on stock srt-4's which is good enough for me. Once I can whoop on them with my D17, I will possibly look into building a K20 turbo'd. This would be while I still h ave my D17. I have to max it out first and see what I can do, if I am happy, I can sell the K20. I have major plans as well, just not posting until it happens (which it will)
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

Gecko is a jewel in the roughGecko is a jewel in the roughGecko is a jewel in the rough
good luck with your plans....definately keep us posted
Old 03-03-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alex1
I believe in you guys, all you really need is a way to beef up the tranny. If there is a way to beef it up without costing an arm and a leg, I'll be right behind you guys lol.

I wish it was that easy.

To acheive 350whp........you will have to run at least 22psi and will need to flow more air. In other words........custom intake manifold, throttle body and ported head.

Tuning will be the key. The motor will have to rev around 8000 and hopefully you can find someone that knows that AEM EMS.

Quick Reply: Finally a high HP D17....