Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

My dyno tune with DH head and vafcII (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
dam!
Old 10-17-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Srry to hear that gearbox
Old 10-17-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Well I'm not totally disappointed. Tuning did improve low end a bit (enough to feel) when accelerating from a stop to 3k rpms, and overall feels faster than stock. Also the rpms are smoother and don't cut in and out as much.
Old 10-17-2004

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
yea.. i was talking to the guys at the shop here and showed them the pics.. they said if u go n/a then u need better cams and some oversized valves especially if they bored it out a lot.... my shop guys said that the correct way to do it is since our cars are sohc.. u port the exhaust side more than u would everything else bacause that in turn gives it gains similar to what would be found in dohc... but the exhaust side would always stay open unlike in dohc where both intake and exhaust sides open and close... but yea they said the same thing... u need something high flow on the intake said to let more in and high flowing on the exhaust side like no cat or high flow cat
Old 10-17-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the advice everyone. Maybe in time I will add more stuff. For now I'm happy, and my next mod will be the jet coating to cool things down and speed the exhaust. Maybe later catback and intake back on.
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gearbox
Thanks for the advice everyone. Maybe in time I will add more stuff. For now I'm happy, and my next mod will be the jet coating to cool things down and speed the exhaust. Maybe later catback and intake back on.

Dude, jet-hot coating is like $150 - you can get a nice cam regrind for that price!!
Old 10-18-2004
Registered!!

mootlif3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn, that sucks dude. I havn't installed my head yet (It's sitting on a shelf in my room until I get the cash and feel like putting it on). My exhaust ports are stuck sized, polished, and square? because Josh upgraded it or something. Intake size looks completely stock with some polishing.

I'm not sure how much I would gain from it. Mods to help move/push the air in/out are:
Short ram intake, greddy evo cat back, hp racing 4-1 header w/hiflo cat. Thats pretty much it. I plan to do a before Dyno before I stick it on, because if it blows butt I'm switching back and selling it on ebay.
Old 10-18-2004
Registered!!

drjvic04 is on a distinguished road
Hey sorry to hear that man.
But if your looking for mods to improve those numbers might I suggest you do a valve body mod on the trany. You could get quicker shifts out of your auto and better acceleration. From that dyno It looked like your engine wasn't even pushing its limits, the trany probably robbed a lot more power than you think. The car can only move as fast as its weakest componet in the drivetrain.
Hope you find the numbers you are looking for.
Old 10-18-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
You have an AUTO!! A HP stealing slushbox 100.00 whp on an auto sohc is not that bad. You are just 6 or so hp away from an ex 5 speed. My guess is an auto would put out around 85-90 whp stock. A ported head and a header are not going to suddenly turn your car into a monster. <-- sorry if this sounds harsh its not intended to. Maybe you can find a member with a stock auto and compare how it drives. That may give you a better idea of how well the mods are performing. A cam will help, but you can't expect too much on a sohc and an auto on top of that. Does anyone have a dyno on an auto. maybe Dezod did a baseline on his before the turbo.
Old 10-18-2004
Premium Member

I remember someone gave me their dyno of injen intake on lx auto and it was making 115whp or something good. Maybe the dyno was different tho. But I think you're right about the auto trans crap. It does feel faster than stock, especially in the lower rpms after the tuning. Even tho the tune only gave 2whp, it feels like more for some reason.
Old 10-18-2004
Premium Member

Dezod did do an auto dyno before the turbo:

Before Dezod Turbo: 103.7 HP & 95 FT/LBS of TQ SAE corrected
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

cosmo is an unknown quantity at this point
The head was ported alot, which may be worse. And it has hi flow valves as well, so I bet it would really help with turbo. But then again, I don't really have the money to pay for a huge turbo and then run a few psi of boost so the tranny doesn't go out. Maybe I should buy those instructions for the home depot supercharger and make my own
I think I still have the ERAM or w/e instructions somewhere..why buy them, I'll post up if I can find them.
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

cosmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Found it, shoot me a pm with a email addy if you'd like it.
Old 10-19-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Dezod did do an auto dyno before the turbo:

Before Dezod Turbo: 103.7 HP & 95 FT/LBS of TQ SAE corrected
I think on that dyno He had dc header and exhaust. Not sure what intake or if he had an intake installed.
Old 10-19-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by djmota
I think on that dyno He had dc header and exhaust. Not sure what intake or if he had an intake installed.
Injen SRI
DC 4-1 Shorty
5 Zigen Fireball cat-back at that time
Old 10-19-2004
Premium Member

Does anyone have a completely stock dyno with an auto?
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Try a Injen CAI im sure it will help in your case because your head is ported and it needs some airflow. Just my thought. I could be wrong though
Old 10-19-2004
awd pwnz j00

import2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry to hear that bro

save the money you would spend on an intake and put it towards turbo
Old 10-19-2004
Premium Member

That dezod turbo is looking mighty good now
Old 10-26-2004
Premium Member

Does anyone know why turning the vafc fuel up +4 will make the car run leaner?
Old 10-26-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
^^ ecu compensation?
Old 10-26-2004
Premium Member

Well if you look at the higher rpms tho, it was running rich. Then they added fuel with the vafc and it got leaner. Still a bit rich since the ideal ratio is 14.7:1

Just wondering cause I put the fipk on and plan to get aem pulleys and jet coated header. I'll prolly get it retuned next year with the new stuff.
Old 10-26-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
what? ... isn't the ideal ratio 13.8??

but yeah ... I really think you should consider getting a cam. If a ton of extra air nets you a relatively 0 hp gain, then that probably means that your cams and valves were already pretty maxed out to begin with ... get some high lift cams, high compression valves with some stiff valve springs ... hondata, rev to 8000 ...

oh wait, I'm thinking ahead of myself again

Last edited by aznboysrfr; 10-26-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2004
Premium Member

This is from toyota motors...

"For the catalytic converter to operate at peak efficiency, the air/fuiel ratio must be at the ideal stoichiometric ratio of 14.7 parts air to one part fuel as measured by weight. This is why the ECM tries to maintain a 14.7 to 1 ratio whenever possible"

?
Old 10-26-2004
Skyline R33

guns is an unknown quantity at this point
This is from toyota motors...

"For the catalytic converter to operate at peak efficiency, the air/fuiel ratio must be at the ideal stoichiometric ratio of 14.7 parts air to one part fuel as measured by weight. This is why the ECM tries to maintain a 14.7 to 1 ratio whenever possible"

?
Makes sence each dyno I ran it got closer and closer to 14.7

My last dyno was 14.5

Maybe that explains it why even with tuning VAFC the ECU learns.
Old 10-26-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
If you really wanyt to go fast forget auto. Might as well invest in a good manual transmission. You'll gain a second to 60mph and more than a second on the 1/4 mile pretty much a garanteed increase in your driving satisfaction.

Anyhow at-least you tried to work no the D17s your still one the pioneers in my opinion. Its just our freaking fuel economy emissions regulated engine!

Last edited by nindoo; 10-26-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2004
Premium Member

I thought lev was bad last gen and now they have ulev! Anything to make the car slower. Well I'm still gonna throw a little at the engine and see what I can do. I wish a company would make a real cam (not regrind) for our cars.
Old 10-26-2004

I'm sure your gonna figure out a way to make your car fast anyway. Anyhow all this work wasn't in vain, don't you need to do all the stuff you did if you want to run a turbo set up or nos? I'm sure you've done it right for a turbo set-up.
Old 10-26-2004
Premium Member

One thing I've been lazy about is checking the compression. Maybe next year That's gonna tell me whether the head is okay and if it is running higher compression.
Old 10-26-2004

How do you check the compression?

Quick Reply: My dyno tune with DH head and vafcII (pics)