Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

WTF?! Catalyst has 304 HP and 276 ft/lbs of torque?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
WTF?! Catalyst has 304 HP and 276 ft/lbs of torque?!?!?

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...57&postcount=1

See his sig - says he broke his tranny....

WTF is the story behind this??
Old 09-14-2004
Registered!!

Hwoody77 can only hope to improve

I believe it was the SF kit, with a DH PnP head, at 12 PSI?
Old 09-14-2004
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
hahah that's sweet, glad to see he's back in action. despite all the bad press regarding SF, i'm very satisfied with my kit (still unsatisfied with the wait time), but they did fix their mistakes, and the kit truly is nice.
Old 09-14-2004

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
did u see his headers.. mad crazy
Old 09-14-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i believe that like i believed my kit was gonna be shipped in "2 weeks"
Old 09-14-2004
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by EnProceso
i believe that like i believed my kit was gonna be shipped in "2 weeks"
i loved when they told me that in march.... i got mine in late august
Old 09-15-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Does he have a k20 now?

Says his last activity was 9 hours ago...so he's still a regular on this site
Old 09-15-2004
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Unless he is running 18psi with a built motor, than there is no way.

Oh and the way it looks like it, he has been working more on his car than your guys kits.
Old 09-15-2004
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jodster
Unless he is running 18psi with a built motor, than there is no way.

Oh and the way it looks like it, he has been working more on his car than your guys kits.
Exactly. 11 PSI....there is no way he reached those numbers in this car without a K20 swap. They may have used additives too (Nitrous, CO2 or cryogenics on the I/C). I am beginning to question the validity of their so claimed power.
Old 09-15-2004

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
i wanna see some recent engine shots and some dyno sheets. I know he was making serious power on his d17 and broke the 13 sec mark with it. But im not sure if he swapped the k20 yet. ask Iamboo I think he talks to catalyst regularly.
Old 09-15-2004
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
He didn't I just talked to him. He's got head work done and all with alchy injec. =)
Old 09-15-2004
Passin' You On 19's.....!

futurersxswap is an unknown quantity at this point
NO K20 YET..... he still has the d17... with ported head etc around 15psi i believe.. given the numbers being around 220 @ 10psi without ported head, and 1psi = about 10hp, this claim is possible... haters come out in groves when the turbo guys talk that go fast,,,, just like when he dropped that time of 13.6... everyone hated, and still he and i are the fastest with slips... he shattered his clutch 4 times total with the new setup on 11psi... this motor can make power man, dont know when you guys will believe it.... once my ported head gets dropped on and i tune it out, i will hit 12s.... i also need good tires, and it wouldnt hurt for me to make a run with a good head gasket, since fuel trouble before burned mine out... running a 13.71 @ 103.38 aint bad on bald 555r's, no methanol, no ported head, no pulley, no tuning.... with a 2.252 60' time... if i land a 2.0 which i have before (better tires)... i wouldve been in the 13.5s..... not that hard to knock .5 off... with the work and tuning im doing ... and YES, i know what it means to drop taht much, not easy, but i am doing a nice amount of work... so we will see...
Old 09-15-2004
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
I can see it 300whp with a D17. It just needs to be built. What I don't like is the fact that he did all this work, before fisihing other peoples kits that were promised to them at the first of the year.
Old 09-15-2004
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jodster
I can see it 300whp with a D17. It just needs to be built. What I don't like is the fact that he did all this work, before fisihing other peoples kits that were promised to them at the first of the year.
Not to mention the fact of if you used an additive, please say it. Also what PSI & octane as well. Bare minimum requirements for that type of accusation.
Old 09-15-2004
I R T3H 1338

auto84 will become famous soon enoughauto84 will become famous soon enough
Stafford Fabrication Stage II turbo kit

Custom T3 super 60 turbo
Turbo XS type H-R32 bov
3" Catalyst Downpipe (yes, it has some of my mods)
Candy Blue Intercooler piping
Equal length manifold

^^^ cut and pasted from his profile^^^ damn thats a lot of ponies man!! congrats.!!
Old 09-15-2004

yeah on 15psi with headwork I would say those numbers are about right. Futurersxswap, What are you using for a fuel set up? and do you know if catalyst is doing that on stock internals?
Old 09-15-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
definately wasnt 93 octane either...i highly doubt that, im saying maybe 100 if not higher
Old 09-15-2004
Registered!!

Barney should not be trustedBarney should not be trustedBarney should not be trusted
Yes it is possible and probably is true if he claims it.

BEFORE YOU ARGUE LISTEN,
turbo kit intercooled
a good fuel system
motor properly tuned

you can run any amount of boost. Now how long the motor will hold out before a wrist pin goes or head gasket blows or a rod breaks or twist or somthing else happens is another story.

I didnt look at his mod list but he could have a lighten flywheel, unorthodox crank pulley, no a.c., no power steering, head work, throttle body, intake manifold, etc.. He could easily run the dyno up to 304hp but that dosnt mean his motor will last that long. The stock motor nothing done to it at all except turbo kit fuel and tunning will hold 11psi all day long. Before i built mine i ran 15 psi, the motor spuddered and coughes due to lack of fuel and eventually blew later that night. I am running 18psi now racing 110 octane and 8 to 12 on the street on a built motor making more than 304hp.

Props to whoever puts the time and money in our d17. I like to win, ecspecially when at the end you say I have a single cam d block. ha ha ha
Old 09-15-2004
Registered!!

Drk01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Catalyst is using a new version of their fuel system now. Stafford said he made a new one that was tunable.
Old 09-15-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Drk01Civic
I think Catalyst is using a new version of their fuel system now. Stafford said he made a new one that was tunable.
You can hook the Aermomotive billet digital FMU to it to tune it - all it does it change the duty cycle of the fuel pump based on the pressure....
Old 09-15-2004
Registered!!

Drk01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounded more complex than the aeromotive setup but it probably uses the same principles.
Old 09-15-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Catalyst
Thank you jet!
I did that on the stock bottom end. DHracing port work (dave took long enough), our stage II kit (slightly modified), and an EMS that i tuned with a lot of alcohol.

I went to the track 1 time and made an 1/8th mile pass. Which was a 7.6 @ 90 mph
i broke a few race clutches, and then my tranny. I just picked up the part from Honda today to fix it, and they hooked me up ($39!)

My track time was done on falken azenis and in the presence of the great (cough) Dave Hickman.

My EMS is the Split Second Programmable signal conditioner. Im not gonna say how much boost, but if you look up the specs on the ems, you will see i had to be running less than 17 psi.

I need some proof......post the slips
Old 09-16-2004

JetBlu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
if its true...HELLA NICE...so I'm guessing tuned, ported head and thats it huh....cool....I hope to run maybe up to 12PSI MAX one day on stock internals b/c I'm never touching my internals b/c I want a K20 swap and boost that one day so I'm not wasting the money on this but I AM COMPLETEL SATISIFIED THOUGH....PROPS TO SF and whoever else is making turbo kits for the D17...yes u too dezod

my goal is 14.3...if I hit that, I'm GOOD!!
Old 09-16-2004
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
this is a quite entertaining thread. I love people's speculation.

ok, here is the specs.....

Stock D17 bottom end
DHracing ported head (dave claims to have done some "special things" to it)
a High efficiency ported turbocharger (ar.60, 66 trim, machined housing, exhaust seperators, blah, blah, blah)
an equal length manifold with ported ports, and collector
~16 psi of boost
Lots of alcohol
91 octane chevron gas
BIG fan on the BIG intercooler

No i have done nothing else to my car. I have nitrous, but havent even installed it. Some of you think that i work on my car all the time. Well, if that were true, why was my tranny broke for several months? Ask iamboo, dark01civic, etc. The tranny was making noise when Opto came out for a ride.

Basically all i did was tuning. I carefully tuned it using lots of alcohol and a wide band. I made one pass on the dyno at that power level. Drove it on the street for a pass, and it was too much to even try to hold on to with my damn ecsta's on my 17's.

Now Dezod, i havent said a thing about your turbo system or any of your claimed power. So please dont start questioning ours. We have had several people on this board make 200+ whp with our base kit on an otherwise stock motor. Others have shown track slips in the 13's. There is more than enough evidence provided by our customers to show that our power is true. With that said, good luck with your turbo project. Its coming along well.
Old 09-16-2004

Nice to see you posting up on the boards again catalyst. What do you mean by having a fan on the IC? when you were on the dyno you mean right? and how are you tunning you fuel, what alchy are you using? mix/pure? Lots of ???'s Im putting the finishing touches on my set up and want to get as much imput from the big number boys as possible. thanks, keep up the nasty numbers!
Old 09-16-2004
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
yea, i used a squirrel caged fan on my intercooler while dynoing. Basically like a giant swamp cooler.

On 15-16 psi i have air intake temps of about 110-115 degrees. And seeing its summer time in the desert, those are pretty low.

I am using Methanol-water mix. Close to a 90-10 mix. I use a split-sec programmer to fine tune everything. Its like an emanage.
Old 09-16-2004

represent cat..... 13sec club!!!!!!!! soon to be 12s!!!!!!!! if i can hold my car together with my new mods... LOL... i will have close to same setup as you, different fuel system though... but im porting out my exhaust manifold while my head gets shipped back, so we should be close man... i wanna pass you on these 19s!!!!!!!! LOL... helps me with gear ratios... not to mention im lighter... LOL.. i dont care, i just want 12.9 or so at about 10psi, 9psi if possible.... i just want to drive man, screw v8s!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Now Dezod, i havent said a thing about your turbo system or any of your claimed power. So please dont start questioning ours. We have had several people on this board make 200+ whp with our base kit on an otherwise stock motor. Others have shown track slips in the 13's. There is more than enough evidence provided by our customers to show that our power is true. With that said, good luck with your turbo project. Its coming along well.
Thanks Cat for the positive words. Understand, from you guys it was just always..here this is what we put down.......no supporting figures like what you said....mods, psi, octane, other work done at all......THAT is what I am looking for. THAT information is pertainent to the results of one's evaluation across kits.

On the same premice that if I say I put down 250WHP on my Civic. Lots of Q's are going to arise.....what turbo?, what PSI?, head work?, downpipe size?, cat?, cat-less?, exhaust size?, octane?, air temp?, additives?, nitrous?, CO2, cyrogenitics?....I can go on and on......

I was not knocking your stuff at all, merely stating an observation that there were no supporting credentials. Bout time someone manned up!

Originally Posted by dezod
Exactly. 11 PSI....there is no way he reached those numbers in this car without a K20 swap. They may have used additives too (Nitrous, CO2 or cryogenics on the I/C). I am beginning to question the validity of their so claimed power.

^^Not to mention.......I was talkign about those results on 11 PSI, you stated you used 16 PSI. That's what I was originally referring to.

Last edited by dezod; 09-16-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2004

everyone uses that fan while dynoing... so lets not hear any haters..... atleast everyone boosted making good power... i might experiment with the water mix...
Old 09-16-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by futurersxswap
everyone uses that fan while dynoing... so lets not hear any haters..... atleast everyone boosted making good power... i might experiment with the water mix...
Who's hating?

Quick Reply: WTF?! Catalyst has 304 HP and 276 ft/lbs of torque?!?!?