Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

2 problems....thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thebigjap is an unknown quantity at this point
2 problems....thoughts?

All right first off I got my TSI kit installed. I fixed the crimped oil feed by using some brass fittings. No Leaks!
Oh and I had to get a grinder and shave off some of the exhaust manifold... and the heat shield. The intake hose on the compressor side wouldn't fit right. Radiator hose was in the way. Got it on, took me all day last Saturday. Throttle cable seemed too low because of throttle body spacer. Found the spacers and bolts for the throttle cable bracket on Sunday. Small oil leak because of the oil send fitting on the block. Fixed that.
On to the problems...

I took my car out thinking I had everything installed right. I took it easy on her and made moderate boost. The only problem is that I'm still kind of iffy on the injection control unit. I hooked up all of the wires and the vacuum hose to it but here's the problem. On the ICU there are instructions to where everything goes. See this pic...

If you can't read it, the thing in question is the 4 lines that say brown. The description for all four says "connect to injector connector negative(the other line of connector to ignition 12v)".

It seems easy enough, but four wires go out and there are only four wires for the two injector connectors(two apiece).

For one injector, I assumed that two of the brown wires get connected to a wire on the injector harness(they are both black with white squares on them(meaning I don't know which one is power or ground)) and the other wire goes to ignition. Repeat for second injector.

So, my injector harnesses have 3 wires connected to two wires, one wire is connected to the ignition, and the other is connected to two brown. Does that make any sense? Why would there be four wires in the first place? Is my logic faulty? The instructions that came with the kit say to look on the ICU for the correct connections, so no help there. Does anybody that has this kit know how they are connected? Any opinions would be appreciated here too...

I haven't been driving much at all because of my uneasiness toward the wiring of the injectors. However, I have been driving. There is a pretty good stretch of road two blocks away with a four way stop and a 50mph speed limit. Naturally, I test my new mods there.

For some reason I'm not getting past 3PSI. I figured to tighten the screw on top of the BOV/CBV(whatever it is called) but no luck. In fact, I'm getting less boost(00PSI, 1PSI) and I can't figure out what is going on!

I've checked everything but the wastegate actuator mainly because I thought that it was set to 6PSI. Running out of ideas....
Old 08-23-2004

JetBlu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
PM Crew Chief...he has this kit and hitting 13s with it
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Civic02playa is an unknown quantity at this point
I am in the process of installing this kit as well....the problems i'm running into are regarding the intercooler piping and the breather hose on the throttle body, the breather hose will be an easy fix but the piping looks really low and it doenst fit behind my stock bumper....it hangs lower...unless i have it hooked up wrong but i dont see how that is possible. how did you hook your up...a pic would be amazing....but yeah any help..
Old 08-23-2004
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JetBlu01
PM Crew Chief...he has this kit and hitting 13s with it

where did you see this at
Old 08-24-2004

JetBlu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jwcardy
where did you see this at
he's in my club....Kutsuju Racing but I think he is PCS'n at the moment..he has videos and everything...13.6 is his fastest up to date if I can find some videos (which I'm sure will be hard since I have 56) I'll send them your way via PM...I forget how much boost he's exactly running but I DO KNOW its over 11psi
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

kickoo is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem. When I got it back it was boosting fine. 3 days later it wouldnt go pass 1PSI. I see that i broke 2 front top engine mounts. I dont know if thats affecting the acuator because its making the engine move. How did i bust 2 engine mounts you ask...no idea but maybe it had something to do with a F1 Stage 3 clutch, aluminum flywheel and new timing belt and all new pulley belts. It pulls like crazy. I will get the new engine mounts THEN see if it boosts fine. Could be that the actuator line is under stress when in gear therefore needing slack to actually move back and forth for the set PSI.
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

kickoo is an unknown quantity at this point
ok I think I know what it is. I was inspecting the kits that TSI brings and the actuators am assumming are all the same for this model. My actuator line has some sort of bend on it. As far as I can see all the TSI kits online show the actuator line as a straight line with no bend. Mine is not, it has some kind of bend. Can someone verify that their TSI actuator line is straight and if so i guess all I will have to do is find someway to straighten it out.Kind of think about it I also remember when it was mailed to me they just threw it in a box with no bubble wrap, no kinda of support PLUS the bos was a bit ripped. I didnt make the connection but now I see it was damaged in transit in some way. So if someone can check theirs it would be a great help to my investigation. To kinda illustrate it looks like this ---\_/---, and the ones i see online are like this ---------.

Last edited by kickoo; 09-22-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
mine looks like this ---------
something is wrong with your actuator.
Old 09-22-2005
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
...wow... thread revival... what do you guys search for to find these old threads?
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
I know thats what thought at first, but the asked, so.....
Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

larsbars is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Rennen
...wow... thread revival... what do you guys search for to find these old threads?

LOL

On most forums they want you to search for threads of similar topics before posting new threads.