Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Manual vs. Electronic Boost Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PeterV1228 is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual vs. Electronic Boost Controllers

Which do you think is better, and why? Which is more reliable.

Also, which is the best manual or electronic boost controller to buy?

If you have either a manual or electronic, do you like it? why or why not.

I am unsure whether to get the greddy profec b II or a dual stage manual (turbo xs or something?). what is the difference?
Old 03-06-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i cant really answer any of your questions but i bought a profec b spec II, i have heard very good things about it from other members and a couple magazine articles. i havent heard anything bad about yet, other than trying to find the right setting but i hear some electronic boost controllers tend to spike.

edit- oh yeah the reason i cant answer any of your questions is cuz i havent installed it yet..
Old 03-06-2004
Registered!!

Speedracer32 is an unknown quantity at this point
the main thing would be being albelt o adjust boost level without poping the hood and doing it from in side

the other would be that digital is better to manual almost anyday.
Old 03-06-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
Digital/electronic is definately easier, with some knowledge of how the profec or whichever you choose works. Manuals are a pain because like what speedracer said...you have to open the hood to adjust put, the dual stage you are talking about it pretty aweome and works really well. With a flip of a switch you have a higher or lower boost setting. IF you're serious about your turbo and wanted to run really stong id say electronic, just my opinion
Old 03-06-2004
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I understand, (in addition to very few having in cabin access, and the ones that do are expensive) MBC's tend to creep (they will slowly allow boost to reach the wastegate spring/diaphragm which causes it to slowly creep open which causes slower spool). This is again, from what I understand, probably more common in the ones with the bleed type valve rather than the ball and spring. They're, like mentioned before, alot more inexpensive than an EBC though, if you're tight on cash....you can definitely use one. Hallman and turboxs are what i hear as being the best or mostly used, and alot of people dont report issues with them....but when there are issues...the ones I mentioned above are it.

If you've got the cash to get a spec II, then go for it. But be aware that you will need to research what settings you're going to use. Just because it's convenient due to it's "in cabin" placement, doesn't mean that it's as simple. I have a profec b spec II ready to use on my future set up but it hasn't been installed. Once it is though, I'll try to post up on it.
Old 03-06-2004
Registered!!

Ahtasham is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going for the Profec E-01, later on when I'll have the cash, I'll get the Emanage as well and hook it up with the E-01. And then if I am able to work out the settings (timing & fuel control), it would turn out to be a good investment. Otherwise just an expesive boost controller!

But in my opinion, go with the electronic one. It'll serve you well in the long run.
Old 03-06-2004
BOOST JUNKY

Atasham.....make sure you get ur car tuned on a dyno and not at home.
Old 03-06-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
I bought the hallman boost controller. Its a nice piece of work. The version I bought comes with two springs to allow for small, fine adjustment, or coarse adjustment. The Hallman is one of the best MBC out there, and will not creep or lose boost based upon the design.

I chose a MBC because for one thing it was cheaper. From what I've read unless you buy the HKS or something equivalent you might experience boost creep. Of course this is all from what I've read, I don't have any experience with ANY boost controllers (yet) - once my setup is up and running I'll post some photos and reviews....
Old 03-06-2004
Registered!!

ohmysac is an unknown quantity at this point
i've heard that the electronic ones are slower to react therefore more prone to spikes...i made my own manual controller and have sold it to a few members including catalyst...he is using it currently...absolutly no spiking and extremely easy to adjust...hit me up if anyone is interested
Old 03-06-2004
Proud Srt4 owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BoostedCivicZex can only hope to improve
^ i have ohmysac's mbc and its great, no spiking and it is extremely easy to adjust, any retard can figure out how to use it
Old 03-06-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
way to word that lol...

Yeah MBCs to me are the way to go, the Dual stage has a switch that can be mounted within the car for hi/lo boost settings. There are quite a few mbc's out there that allow you to adjust boost easily from within the car.

I'll have to look for it... but I found an MBC that's designed to DECREASE lag time, and never spike, or have fall off of any kind. Also about 125 bucks making it one of the most expensive signle-stage MBCs on the market but hey to me it's worth it, especially with my second turbo i put in (replacement of orginal T3).
Old 03-06-2004
Proud Srt4 owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BoostedCivicZex can only hope to improve
^hows the new turbo working for ya
Old 03-06-2004
Skyline R33

guns is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont know for a fact. But I heard that everyone who has blown thier engine on 7thgen has had an electric boost controller.

I have a manuel and mine doesn't spike or vary. Its just a bleeder valve.

Can anyone verify this. If a elect. controller messes up you could have big problems. A manuel is just that manuel. You turn it up and down not a computer which can fail.
Old 03-06-2004
Registered!!

PeterV1228 is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought the profec b II had something where if it does fail it lets the boost drop to zero?

I don't mind getting either one, i just want one that is the most reliable, but i'm getting conflicting reports.
Old 03-06-2004
Premium Boosted Member

I don't see how it can let you drop to 0 if you still have a wasteget, the boost controller at 0psi will give you boost as though you only had a wastegate.

The new turbo is rediculous. 4psi rips through second gear lol... 6psi of fun tomorrow...

then 7...

then 10 with alcy
Old 03-06-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
yes if the boost controller EBC is broke or like mine OFF, mine is at 5 when the EBC is OFF, setting A is 7 and setting B is 10, it all depends on the spring thats already in there
Old 03-07-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
i am reppin ohmysac's MBC

Thinking about getting the Turbo XS dual stage later on
Old 03-07-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by BoostedCivicZex
any retard can figure out how to use it
point proven with you Joe
Old 03-07-2004
BOOST JUNKY

EBC's dont blow up cars....human error does. (i.e. your settings)
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

Miami240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Whoever thinks MBC's are best are just afraid of blowing up because they don't know how to play with the sharpness settings and their car can't handle a 3psi spike for a second. Geeezzz... EBC's are best. Hands down! Get a good, fast responding, Tial wastegate and you can turn up the sharpness of the boost build so you can have a wider power band. And, for you MBC admirers.... if you have a turbo that spools really quick, they WILL spike bad once you go into real boost levels. You know... double digits.

Last edited by Miami240; 03-07-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2004
Premium Boosted Member

Must have made you really proud to go on this site just to make a remark like that.

Either way, I don't see people saying that EBCs are worse than MBCs. People just like MBCs cuz they're simple to use, and cost efficient. I have a T04B, an MBC is fine for me, especially a high quality one.
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Miami240
Whoever thinks MBC's are best are just afraid of blowing up because they don't know how to play with the sharpness settings and their car can't handle a 3psi spike for a second. Geeezzz... EBC's are best. Hands down! Get a good, fast responding, Tial wastegate and you can turn up the sharpness of the boost build so you can have a wider power band. And, for you MBC admirers.... if you have a turbo that spools really quick, they WILL spike bad once you go into real boost levels. You know... double digits.
What do you base this statement off of, experience? That's quite a generalized comment to make, seeing as how all EBC's are different. There are a lot of people out there who swear by MBC's, just as their are a lot of people who like EBC's. Not all are created equal though......
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

ohmysac is an unknown quantity at this point
i cant justify the price of an electronic unit...i'm like ron popiel...just set it and forget it

i do have a dual stage controller in the works tho...pretty inexpensive...although i currently have another project i'd like to finish first (nothing to do with cars)
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

Speedracer32 is an unknown quantity at this point
they both do the same thing
just preference

EBC= flashy
MBC= kinda stealth

If you got the money and can splurge on a Greddy EBC then do it
if not you get a MBC. if you really want to , save up for an EBC.
i.g.~~~

1)Do you really need a 200 pair of Jordan's to play basketball on a outside court???
No, a pair of regular 70 Nike's will do just fine.
2)
91 honda civic with a K20 swap
2003 acura RSX

both get you from point A to B and are fast and will spank your *** but one is a little more eye catching than the other

just my $.02
Old 03-07-2004
Skyline R33

I did not say the ebc caused people to blow up their engine. I just said I heard that everyone who had engine problems assoc w/boost also had ebc and other electronic equipment. Name someone who blew their engine and list what they were running. If extra **** made crazy power gains then I am sure SF would sell it and make money on it. Who am I to talk. I admit I know little. I am just passing along some advise that was given to me.
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

Miami240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by MadWheel
Must have made you really proud to go on this site just to make a remark like that.
Get off my back guy. I am only a member here because my g/f is. So i decide to post something helpful about tech and you ****ing get on my case?

EBC's are flashier but that's not the advantage. Once again, like i stated above, you can set the sharpness of boost build and it will give you a wider power band...(spool quicker making more power down low). Do you see big power cars on the streets running MBC's???? No, because they know their **** and they do it the right way. Open your eyes and learn from observing others sometimes.
Old 03-07-2004
BOOST JUNKY

OK first of all, lay off Miami240, he didn't "just sign up to say this" he actually reads this board quite often, and has GREAT knowledge about forced induction...and cars in general to share. Don't take what he says personally!! I share alot of the stuff that goes on here w/him cuz....he's my b/f and we share this very great interest. That's why he's here. Not to p*ss people off...but to shed light on stuff. And to tell you the truth....he's extremely knowledgeable...and that's my UNBIASED opinion.

Anyone reading this thread can kinda get the idea that MBC's are being glorified just a tad. When to be honest...the reason EBC's ever cause spike is because people are using the wrong settings (especially sharpness). No...EBC's aren't simply more "bling bling" they offer alot more options than MBC's. And MBC's aren't the simple but EQUAL alternative, as I've already stated in a previous post, there are some issues with them.

The fact that alot of people that have blown up have EBC's is prolly simple. They find it toooo easy to f*ck with the settings, since it's an in cabin boost controller, when they prolly shouldn't be touching crap because they don't know what the heck they are doing.
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by SpdRcrChk
he's my b/f and we share this very great interest. That's why he's here. Not to p*ss people off...but to shed light on stuff. And to tell you the truth....he's extremely knowledgeable...and that's my UNBIASED opinion.
[/i]

Ahhhh, so we finally get to meet the other half? hahah...

[i]
The fact that alot of people that have blown up have EBC's is prolly simple. They find it toooo easy to f*ck with the settings, since it's an in cabin boost controller, when they prolly shouldn't be touching crap because they don't know what the heck they are doing.
How true, how true....heheh....good post.
Old 03-07-2004
BOOST JUNKY

LoL Yes...that's the other half.

Thanks Opto.

Originally posted by MadWheel
an MBC is fine for me, especially a high quality one.
Yeah...and that's basically the key. There are way too many cheap *** MBC's on ebay....and cutting corners here, I wouldn't recommend. THe more expensive MBC's, I've read, are like you say.....the most recommended.

But EBC's have great advantages if you or the person that's tuning your car knows what they are doing.
Old 03-07-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by SpdRcrChk
The fact that alot of people that have blown up have EBC's is prolly simple. They find it toooo easy to f*ck with the settings, since it's an in cabin boost controller, when they prolly shouldn't be touching crap because they don't know what the heck they are doing. [/B]
Exactly, then if someone is posting here and asking questions then it can be assumed that they dont know what they are doing. Like myself. I ask questions and experienced people tell me to stick with something simple and later upgrade once I know what I am doing.

So I passed on this advise. Better safe than sorry. this is my daily driver. to be safe I turned the boost down to 5psi and w/ tubo xs dual controller have a switch to hit 10psi if needed. But this is still just a mbs with a switch and two bleeder valves.

I hope this can help someone steer away from disaster. If you dont know 100% what you are doing stick with simple **** (mbc). Why risk the headaches.

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Electronic Boost Controllers