Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Dh-Racing Built Shortblocks Ready To Go

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DhRacingJosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Dh-Racing Built Shortblocks Ready To Go

Ok everyone. I have two shortblocks here, and I am going to build them up. Special Pricing on these two blocks, and they aren't going to be this price again.

--- NA Setup (High Compression) ---

- Stock Bore High Compression (11:1)
- All New Engine Bearings
- Modified Oil Pump
- Honed
- Decked
- Hot Tanked

--- $1800 ---
--- Regular Price $2200 ---

--- Turbo Built (Low Compression, Reinforced) ----

- Stock Bore Low Compression Forged Pistons (9:1)
- Upgraded Rods (Most Likely Eagle)
- Block Guard
- Modified Oil Pump
- All New Engine Bearings
- Honed
- Decked
- Hot Tanked
- Good For 20+ PSI Of Boost

--- $2400 ---
--- Regular Price $3200 ---

If you send your motor in, I will take $400 off the price. Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-05-2004
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow...great price...great deals!
Old 03-05-2004
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
estimated whp on the N/a motor?
Old 03-05-2004
Banned

With our ported head we see around 160. I would think you pick up around 20-30 with just the shortblock
Old 03-06-2004
I R T3H 1338
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

auto84 will become famous soon enoughauto84 will become famous soon enough
whats the hp of the turbo motor before boost and are the eagle rods forged?
Old 03-06-2004
Banned

No I don't believe the eagle rods are forged, but you wouldn't need them. The hp is about stock on the turbo motor, but if you are planning on running it without a turbo for a while I suggest getting the longblock where the ported head will boost power.
Old 03-06-2004
I R T3H 1338

auto84 will become famous soon enoughauto84 will become famous soon enough
thanks..about the turbo motor, i was thinking more along the lines of nitrous...so stock till i turn it on, but then maybe a 100 shot ?
Old 03-06-2004
Banned

Sounds good.
Old 03-06-2004
Registered!!

dirk21 is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm interested in the turbo motor but when will they be done? and like when would you expect all the money to be in.
Old 03-06-2004
Banned

I can have it done in a week. I would expect 1/2 up front and 1/2 when it's done. Let me know.
Old 03-06-2004
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Why are you using a blockguard instead of sleeving the block?
Old 03-06-2004
Banned

Why do you need to sleeve a block? Do you think you plan on running more then 450 wheel HP if not 500? That is what this block will be able to handle with all our bolt-ons.

I just sold the first one, so everyone get ready for my buddy to probably have one of the, if not the most powerful D17 yet. He is getting everything we offer, so he should have one rediculously mean setup.
Old 03-06-2004
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Call it "peace of mind". Would you sleeve it? How much extra for sleeves?
Old 03-06-2004
Banned

If you want sleeving it will be $3100. We boost tested this setup and it held 20 PSI just fine, so rest assured, but I understand what you are saying. Always nice to never worry. If you are doing to do this then I suggest bumping it to $3300 and I will install Arias Low Compression Pistons that can handle 40 PSI easy.
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

chriscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
40psi? thats gotta be alot of hp. But with all this boost how do you provide enough fuel to the engine and with the sleeved shortblock, could it run 20-30psi daily, safely?
Old 03-07-2004
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
Hey Josh check your PM.....
Old 03-07-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by chriscivic
40psi? thats gotta be alot of hp. But with all this boost how do you provide enough fuel to the engine and with the sleeved shortblock, could it run 20-30psi daily, safely?
They are selling shortblocks not fuel management. And ya I would not want to run 20 psi on a d block without sleeves but that is just me.
Old 03-07-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by dober
They are selling shortblocks not fuel management. And ya I would not want to run 20 psi on a d block without sleeves but that is just me.
yeah, I wouldn't run over 15 psi w/o sleeves.

I don't trust block guards
Old 03-07-2004
Banned

1 You don't ever want to run 30 PSI daily, even 20 PSI is too much. You have to get an engine management system, and set your own fuel mapping, and get big enough injectors to handle the flow. FMU, and a good Fuel pump are also needed.
Old 03-07-2004
Banned

I ran 17 on my completely stock D16, not one thing done to it. Bolted on the turbo kit, and pushed it as far as I could. Ran hard for 6 month and I sold it running. It's all about tuning. 20 PSI on a block guard has been done for years, it's not hard at all especially with forged internals. Simply get it on the dyno and see the flaws in the maps and fix them
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

dirk21 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok so say you get the turbo motor and run 15 psi daily. will your tranny be able to handle it? if not what would you need to change so that it will?
Old 03-09-2004
First to spool

riceburnrex has disabled reputation
Originally posted by DhRacingJosh
It's all about tuning. 20 PSI on a block guard has been done for years, it's not hard at all especially with forged internals. Simply get it on the dyno and see the flaws in the maps and fix them

All about tuning... that statement only goes so far. Yes, we've seen some stock Honda blocks pushing 400hp+ and we've also seen those blocks self destruct when one little thing goes wrong, such as the day's air temperature going above 70. Great (read that as God-like) tuning can get you great results with little parts investment, but it will not be safe and reliable for years. The only way to do this is to somewhat over-engineer the setup, which is why sleeves are better than blockguards and things like that. Then, when something bad happens like a spark plug that's a little too old, the air temp too high or low that day, or a not so great tank of gas, your engine will not end up flying all over the neighborhood in lots of pieces.

Not saying in any way that your shortblocks are not good, they certainly are better than anything else I have seen, but you have to be careful in saying that it's all about tuning. It is extremely important and can transform a decent motor into a rocket, but the parts have to be there to back it up. Remember, boost does not break motors, horsepower and heat do.
Old 03-09-2004
Banned

Originally posted by RiceBurnrEX
All about tuning... that statement only goes so far. Yes, we've seen some stock Honda blocks pushing 400hp+ and we've also seen those blocks self destruct when one little thing goes wrong, such as the day's air temperature going above 70. Great (read that as God-like) tuning can get you great results with little parts investment, but it will not be safe and reliable for years. The only way to do this is to somewhat over-engineer the setup, which is why sleeves are better than blockguards and things like that. Then, when something bad happens like a spark plug that's a little too old, the air temp too high or low that day, or a not so great tank of gas, your engine will not end up flying all over the neighborhood in lots of pieces.

Not saying in any way that your shortblocks are not good, they certainly are better than anything else I have seen, but you have to be careful in saying that it's all about tuning. It is extremely important and can transform a decent motor into a rocket, but the parts have to be there to back it up. Remember, boost does not break motors, horsepower and heat do.
Factory sleeves are much more reliable then aftermarket sleeves. It has been proven for years. You run a sleeved block against a stock motor setup with reinforcement and that has plenty of tuning you will find out what lasts longer. From pistons clatter, to stress on other parts on the motor when the sleeves don't want to "Give" at all. You can tune a motor around your stock setup, but the whole scene of racing IS based around tuning. You just have to be a good tuner to understand what I am talking about. I will put a motor on a blockguard tuned by Dave against another shops motor sleeved in every aspect. I was running 17 PSI man, on a completely stock D16a6 Non-Vtec motor, I'm talking a ported T3 Turbo, Intercooled, and basic kit, with plenty of fuel and a dyno tuning session. I am in Lancaster, where in the summer the Desert heat it stays 100+ all day long and I ran it HARD HARD HARD and sold it 7 months later running the same times. Tuning is the key to all performance. You can defy all odds with a unique program.
Old 03-10-2004
Registered!!

slowciv is an unknown quantity at this point
THAT WAS DEEP MAN
Old 03-10-2004
First to spool

riceburnrex has disabled reputation
Originally posted by DhRacingJosh
Factory sleeves are much more reliable then aftermarket sleeves. It has been proven for years. You run a sleeved block against a stock motor setup with reinforcement and that has plenty of tuning you will find out what lasts longer.
I have, and the sleeved motor lasted much longer. I'm talking about a D16 that was running 15psi, a Motec EMS tuned by one of the best in the business, and the stock sleeves gave out. Not the pistons or rods, the sleeves blew. Replaced stock sleeves with Godzilla sleeves, replaced rods and pistons, the car now runs 25psi, and has for 2 years. That's my personal proof.

For not personal proof... So then why do most all professional teams running Honda blocks sleeve their motors? Not blockguards, full out sleeves. These are people who also have the best tuners and tuning equipment available, but they still sleeve their motors... possibly because most aftermarket sleeves are stronger? Look at Honda-Tech's Forced Induction Forum for instance... many people who have blown stock-sleeved motors with blockguards and good tuning then sleeve the motors, and have not blown since.

Tuning will not get you anywhere you want to go, otherwise all you'd have to do is buy a car, bolt a turbo and install an AEM EMS or other full management solution, and you'll produce huge hp... it's not going to happen without parts to back it up. I don't care how good your tuning is, eventually the cylinder pressure will be too high for the stock manufactured-to-be-light sleeves and you'll blow.
Old 03-10-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by RiceBurnrEX
I have, and the sleeved motor lasted much longer. I'm talking about a D16 that was running 15psi, a Motec EMS tuned by one of the best in the business, and the stock sleeves gave out. Not the pistons or rods, the sleeves blew. Replaced stock sleeves with Godzilla sleeves, replaced rods and pistons, the car now runs 25psi, and has for 2 years. That's my personal proof.

For not personal proof... So then why do most all professional teams running Honda blocks sleeve their motors? Not blockguards, full out sleeves. These are people who also have the best tuners and tuning equipment available, but they still sleeve their motors... possibly because most aftermarket sleeves are stronger? Look at Honda-Tech's Forced Induction Forum for instance... many people who have blown stock-sleeved motors with blockguards and good tuning then sleeve the motors, and have not blown since.

Tuning will not get you anywhere you want to go, otherwise all you'd have to do is buy a car, bolt a turbo and install an AEM EMS or other full management solution, and you'll produce huge hp... it's not going to happen without parts to back it up. I don't care how good your tuning is, eventually the cylinder pressure will be too high for the stock manufactured-to-be-light sleeves and you'll blow.
This is very true, tuning can only get you so far, otherwise there would be no need for aftermarket sleeves. Also, for another 800 - 1000 dollars why not add the extra strength to your investment? Seems like a no brainer to me but I'm sure you will sell that block to someone on this forum.
Old 03-10-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
I agree with Dober and RiceburnrEX, If I decide to drop that cash at once on my engine, it's gonna be everything I can get. Do it once and do it right.
Old 03-10-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
i dont even look at a blockguard as an option at all for me, the only thing i have seen blockguard do is warp with heat, which warped the cylinder walls, and well that meant rebuild.

and ur comment about tuning, i am all for your statement, tuning is the main thing to a point where the parts cant hold up any longer due to stress...and the comment about putting ur tuning up against anyone, well ill put urs up against the shop that did my car.....i dont want any comments about the tuning and whatever that is in that 8 sec car of urs bc u cant drive it on the street. dynamic autosports, do u know them, they close by to u....well they call my shop with tuning questions, ive been there when eddie calls and asks how did u do that or this or something else. my car helped dynamic tune their rsx...dont believe me...well u dont have to...i was there to listen to it...so whatever
Old 03-11-2004
Custom Titles are played out

RiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura about
Yea, i've never liked the idea of an 80 dollar sleeving job

I'd pay the extra to get the motor built right and get that biatch sleeved, because i've known two people with 6th gens who had blockguards and now both cars are outta commission...
Old 03-11-2004
Need....More....Mods

02civic is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm not gunna argue that a blockgaurd is better than sleeves, but for our application i would think the setup he's got planned would be more than adequate.

Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Dh-Racing Built Shortblocks Ready To Go