Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

who's waiting on SF kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004
Your Parts Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Catalyst
dober,

if the pipes keep coming off, take the coupler off that keeps slipping off, and spray some hairspray in there. Be aware though, you will have a hard time pulling it off in the future.

boosted....

I love that picture!
Thanks for the heads up I'll give it a try for sure.

I talked to Mike Stafford about a week ago about me missing my dyno tuning session and he gave me an alcohol injection kit FREE for my troubles. He said this a week ago and Mike B already gave me a tracking number for the kit!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2004
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by dober
Thanks for the heads up I'll give it a try for sure.

I talked to Mike Stafford about a week ago about me missing my dyno tuning session and he gave me an alcohol injection kit FREE for my troubles. He said this a week ago and Mike B already gave me a tracking number for the kit!!!!!!!
man that is awesome..... no dober, you ride loos good.... looks like my car but in black....i love the "no body kit look" our cars have awesome lines and look good with just a drop and some clean rims......
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Arrgh....stop it guys...PLEASE stop! I'm just dreaming of the day when I actually HAVE boost! Hopefully soon.....The injector fiasco might be finally sorted out......
Old 02-14-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by opto_isolator
Arrgh....stop it guys...PLEASE stop! I'm just dreaming of the day when I actually HAVE boost! Hopefully soon.....The injector fiasco might be finally sorted out......
Based on my most recent experience with SF I'd say that you will have your stuff very soon.
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by dober
Based on my most recent experience with SF I'd say that you will have your stuff very soon.
Opto's crossing his fingers on this...
Old 02-14-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by opto_isolator
Arrgh....stop it guys...PLEASE stop! I'm just dreaming of the day when I actually HAVE boost!
I agree.......STFU

haha....j/p
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by civic01vtec
I agree.......STFU

haha....j/p
So was I.....
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
civic01, that turbo has been upgraded. The turbo you have has the super 60 turbine wheel in there. The housing has been machined out to accomodate the wheel, and make it to where you do not have to modify the intake piping, like what jwcardy is going to have to do.

I will post a pic up later of what the standard turbo is like, and what the turbo you have is like, so you can see the physical difference.
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

civic01, that turbo has been upgraded. The turbo you have has the super 60 turbine wheel in there. The housing has been machined out to accomodate the wheel, and make it to where you do not have to modify the intake piping, like what jwcardy is going to have to do.

I will post a pic up later of what the standard turbo is like, and what the turbo you have is like, so you can see the physical difference.
I must say, I am jealous - I bought an ebay turbo. The guy claimed it was a "super 60," when in reality it was just a standard T3 60 trim.....Oh well, I still got a good price, and there isn't a whole lot of difference between the straight 60 and the super 60 (according to the compressor maps).....
Old 02-14-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute

ok good......cuz it was like 2 AM and i was staring at my turbo and i saw that and i feaked out. But it's all good
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

So cat - hope you don't mind me asking, but how many orders are you guys working on filling right now?
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

turbo1zz is an unknown quantity at this point
look you guys, i am going to tell you exactly what I have been doing recently with my customer service.

Ok, we released the corolla kit not too long ago. And we sold a kit to a customer who wantd to put it on him self. So he does and there was a small mistake with one of the pipes.

SMALL MISTAKE?????? ONE PIPE?????? Try most of the pipes don't fit right.... That would be a more accurate statement.

So we built him another non-intercooled kit, and fixed his other pipe and got it back to him re-powdercoated within 3 days. He then drove out here for us to check out some stuff, and while he was here, his powersteering hose broke because it didnt get tied out of the way during installation. We promptly fix this for him (though it was not our fault). We give him his fuel rail, and he installs it. While installing it, he cut an o-ring that later caused a leak. So we drove the 97 miles 1-way to fix this $4 part for him. Then he reported a drivability issue, so we drove up again to re-route vaccum lines to minimalize this issue.

so in the end, we had put several hundred miles on my car, and had a happy customer in the end. there were some mistakes on our half, but it was the first corolla kit produced, so there were bound to be some. But we fixed everything regardless.
WOW!!! The way you write this Mike it sounds like everything was my fault and you guys did nothing but bend over backwards to make me happy...

I hate to break it to you but i'm still not happy as there is still a flat spot and a nasty dip at the top of second gear. As for the power steering line. Mike saw that it was close to the turbo yet he waited till after upping the boost and driving all over Lancaster and burning a hole through it to do something about it... Well! At that time it was too late so who's fault is it now??? Mike knew it was too close before anything had happened to the line yet ignored it to drive around Lancaster and adjust the boost higher.

Reading this pisses me off because you make it sound like I'm soooooooo very happy I got an SF kit which was the Second Corolla not the first when in fact I'm still not happy and have not gotten what I paid for. A properly running turbo kit...

I've given Mike all kinds opportunity to correct the problems and he has done more than I did expect out of him but there is still the issue of the flat spot, the dip at the top of second gear, the pipes hitting the hood, battery, windshield washer and the MAF sensor hitting the hood as well.

So to make a long story short.... I am not happy and will more than likely not be happy for a while...

-Jeff
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

By the way, I looked at Sean's car and the power steering line was zip tied lower and out of the way. Mike knew about the power steering line being too close right from the beginning.
Old 02-15-2004
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
i got 1700 so far I think i need more... how much is it again?
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
Jeff, it was a small mistake. 1 pipe welded at a wrong angle, and the other had the maf 90 degrees out. I call that a small mistake. And i didnt say it was all your fault, because obviously the pipes were not.

Now the power steering line....
We did not install the kit. You said you would look at sean's car while installing your kit. So you would have seen it tied out of the way. Correct?

Also, you were bragging about how fast it was. I would say that means your pleased. Also since we are giving you an engine management unit at no cost to you, and tuning it at no cost to you, i would also think you would be pleased since the unit itself is quite pricey and then you dont have to pay for the $80/hour of dyno time to get it right. After putting 500 miles on my car in 3 days I WOULD call this bending over backwards.

What other company would do all of this? Who would drive to your house to fix the problems AND give you free parts?

If we were not interested in customer service, we would have just said "too bad" and moved on. But we didnt. So please quit trying making us look like the bad guys.
Old 02-15-2004
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road
totally not what i intended this thread to be.....sorry guys
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

truehonda has a spectacular aura abouttruehonda has a spectacular aura about
For last remarks, I work with Mike and Mike at SF and I think they are great guys. A company to come out and put out a best selling product deserves credit. As well, they deal with a lot of things, such as moving, fabrication, ordering, selling, vending, etc. This is a hard work task, and any of you who own a business know that half of their work is most of ours capacity. So please, be kind and dont bark at these guys when they cant get your your kits out in time. I mean, in reality, you could go through some big distributor and get a TD kit or a MaxRev, two companies who could care less about us. I have been on this forum for while, under a different name ofcourse, and I have really enjoyed the customer care of SF. I have been there through their introduction to now. When I was on this forum, I knew that I had to deal with them and that they are going to be huge. Now, they are almost there, and as any business owner knows, its better to do it right then just make an extra buck off someone.

So again guys please be patient.

And for those wanting a kit, the GB is still going, wink wink
Old 02-15-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
imo, since i dont have one and dont have room to talk much, but if u base it on something else.....there is a difference between waiting....and waiting and only getting half......id be more inclined to wait even longer as to get everythign at once, rather than to get it on time and have half missing and go through all the returns, more shipping and all that BS
Old 02-15-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Me too. That's why if I do get one in the next few years, I'll be driving down there and having SF do the install. That way there won't be missing parts and other probs.
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

Also, you were bragging about how fast it was. I would say that means your pleased. Also since we are giving you an engine management unit at no cost to you, and tuning it at no cost to you, i would also think you would be pleased since the unit itself is quite pricey and then you dont have to pay for the $80/hour of dyno time to get it right. After putting 500 miles on my car in 3 days I WOULD call this bending over backwards.
This is all news to me as the last time I talked to Mike he was talking about making the Signal Conditioner an option to me at his cost... Not free... but at his cost. You say things on the boards that I have not even been told and I'm supposed to be happy?

What other company would do all of this? Who would drive to your house to fix the problems AND give you free parts?
I'm sorry but if you take a look at companies like Greddy, HKS, Turbonetics and Edelbrock and take a close look at their kits you will see a kit that has been tested, tested and tested over and over again and made to fit right the first time. I've looked at the kits from these manufacturers and noticed the items they include and the quality of those kits compared to the SF kit. Those other kits come with items like gaskets, injectors, o-rings, absolutely every possible connector needed for installation, quality AN fittings and detailed instructions with photos...

Just something i've noticed with other manufacturers... Plus!!! If I didn't live so close i'm absolutely possitive this would be a totally different story.

So when is this dyno tuning supposed to happen??? Since it's my car having all this done to then it would be nice if I know about it.
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

truehonda has a spectacular aura abouttruehonda has a spectacular aura about
Why did you choose SF if you seem so unhappy, if you dont mind me asking? Is there any other options from big companies? I just would like to know.
Old 02-16-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i dont think i've ever seen a kit for a corolla, then again its not like i searched for one either...
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

Well it seems as if there will be no satisfaction for a guy like Jeff .all fitment issues have been addressed and the tune issues where a suprise to me and we were doing everything possible to remedy the situation and yet he still complains about me openly I gave him a fuel rail free and he complains when he installed it wrong and the o-rings leaked. So we drive to his house 100ml. One way and fix it for him no charge not even for the o-rings. As far as the flat spot in second it gear it is all but gone. Because we drove down to his house again to address this issue, however we were going to do more, I ordered a programmable signal conditioner and program a fuel map to make it perfect and yet he still continues to bash me every chance he gets .as far as the power steering hose well I did not do the install he did .the 2002 model that I built the kit around had a bracket that allowed me to tie the hose out of the way the this was the same car Jeff looked at when he installed the system. When he drove the car to my shop 100ml. Then I saw that the hose was to close for me and I tied it out of the way to the same bracket however it is not set as low as it was on the other car but since he just drove a hundred miles with it I did not think it would be an immediate problem and the temporary tie would surface until we built him a heat shield, it didn’t. So we fixed the hose and built a heat shield for Free. Feel we have given exceptional serves and support for our product and I am convinced that there is nothing that I can do please this customer. Walking away from a customer causes me great grief but I cant go on giving him all my time and continue buy things for his car while openly bashes me and my company even on forms that don't have any thing to do with his char. View this as malicious activity and is unwarranted and I refuse to do business with kind of people

SFpower
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

Well it seems as if there will be no satisfaction for a guy like Jeff .all fitment issues have been addressed and the tune issues where a suprise to me and we were doing everything possible to remedy the situation and yet he still complains about me openly I gave him a fuel rail free and he complains when he installed it wrong and the o-rings leaked. So we drive to his house 100ml. One way and fix it for him no charge not even for the o-rings. As far as the flat spot in second it gear it is all but gone. Because we drove down to his house again to address this issue, however we were going to do more, I ordered a programmable signal conditioner and program a fuel map to make it perfect and yet he still continues to bash me every chance he gets .as far as the power steering hose well I did not do the install he did .the 2002 model that I built the kit around had a bracket that allowed me to tie the hose out of the way the this was the same car Jeff looked at when he installed the system. When he drove the car to my shop 100ml. Then I saw that the hose was to close for me and I tied it out of the way to the same bracket however it is not set as low as it was on the other car but since he just drove a hundred miles with it I did not think it would be an immediate problem and the temporary tie would surface until we built him a heat shield, it didn’t. So we fixed the hose and built a heat shield for Free. Feel we have given exceptional serves and support for our product and I am convinced that there is nothing that I can do please this customer. Walking away from a customer causes me great grief but I cant go on giving him all my time and continue buy things for his car while openly bashes me and my company even on forms that don't have any thing to do with his char. View this as malicious activity and is unwarranted and I refuse to do business with kind of people

SFpower
Of course I'm not satisfied because there are still problems with the kit and there are still problems with the fuel system. Am I suppoesed to drive around all happy that my car bogs in low rpm's? Am I supposed to be happy that the pipe and MAF hit the hood and resinate? am I supposed to be happy the battery does not sit flat where it should? am I supposed to be happy that I have to take out more of my time to have the car tuned with some new item that never has been used on a 1zz and could possibly damage my car that much more? am I supposed to be happy that even though I paid full price for a bolt on kit what I got was "guinnea pig number two"? am I supposed to be happy that you include the fuel rail with the kit without o-rings to replace the stock ones and that you say to everyone "we gave him a fuel rail free of charge" yet it's listed as one of the items included in the kit on your web site as well as NewCelica.org?

You know!!! People wanted to know what was up and I told them. If you didn't want people knopwing all the crap I have gone through with you and the kit then maybe you should have made damn certain it was right and would bolt on no problem in the first place.

You walking away from this only shows your true lack of customer service. You have not even called me to tell me anything about putting the signal conditioner in my car at no charge. I have to hear about it on the boards. You didn't even call me to set up a date and time to fix the flat spot and the lag as well as the pipe with the MAF sensor hitting the hood.

If you want to cry about the Civic board. I was invited by SEVERAL civic owners on that board to tell my story as they were feeling a bit peeved at the fact that they too were having all kinds of problems and no one was really saying anything. I got PM'd by several that had been waiting MONTHS for their kits and then when they finally got there kit, parts were missing, or parts were incorrect, or pipes were colored the wrong color.

If this is all how you want your company to be remebered then by all means. Ignore me and I garuntee I will NOT go away.

You have my number.. It's up to you. You can have a tickled silly customer or you can have something even your worst nightmare fears... It's up to you...
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

mndthegap1 has a spectacular aura aboutmndthegap1 has a spectacular aura about
still waiting
Old 02-16-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by turbo1zz
This is all news to me as the last time I talked to Mike he was talking about making the Signal Conditioner an option to me at his cost... Not free... but at his cost. You say things on the boards that I have not even been told and I'm supposed to be happy?

I'm sorry but if you take a look at companies like Greddy, HKS, Turbonetics and Edelbrock and take a close look at their kits you will see a kit that has been tested, tested and tested over and over again and made to fit right the first time. I've looked at the kits from these manufacturers and noticed the items they include and the quality of those kits compared to the SF kit. Those other kits come with items like gaskets, injectors, o-rings, absolutely every possible connector needed for installation, quality AN fittings and detailed instructions with photos...

Just something i've noticed with other manufacturers... Plus!!! If I didn't live so close i'm absolutely possitive this would be a totally different story.

So when is this dyno tuning supposed to happen??? Since it's my car having all this done to then it would be nice if I know about it.
- How can you compare a FAB SHOP to HKS, Greddy, Turbonetics, or Edelbrock?

Last time I checked those companies had a lot more funding. That and they DONT make kits for the cars that SF is making great efforts to build.

At first I was dissapointed with SF's service, because of the alcohol injection (which I got because they got sent the wrong turbo). -SF did notify me before the kit got sent about the turbo issue and offered the alcohol upgrade instread, which I took up.

After having the kits for a few months and speaking with SF every now and they, I'm liking the service once again. Mike Stafford took my fuel system back from me, and re-tuned it to correct my leaning problem. He did that for free. I only had to pay shipping. Then he over-nighted the package back to me, which cost a lot for somthing like that.

The problem I had is completely fixed now, and I only paid 22 bucks to ship it. That's service.

He is also helping me to diagnose some boost fall off issues I've been having, and even offered a walk-through over the phone to tell me how to take my wastegate apart to look for faults.

Now I don't think I'll EVER get that kind of service from HKS, Greddy, Turbonetics, etc.

All I'm saying is good things come to those who wait, just be patient and appreciate what this small shop is doing for you and everone else all over the damn country.

I'm sick of seeing people complain about kits and their MINOR problems. How fast can 3 guys possibly make this kit, along with many other different kits, and support local business? Keep in mind they hand-build the kit, along with the CUSTOM built fuel system, that no other company offers.

They have offered me many things for my troubles, follow through on what we agree on, and still talk to you like some other buddy, not a walk in, pay for shi* and leave customer...

Ok I'm done venting.
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

StLVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Im not starting anything, I stick up for SF and i plan on getting there turbo kit when they release it for the k20 swapped civics. But when Greddy was having all those problems with the rsx kits, kenji was flying to different states and fixing there cars. most of them where from bad emanages, and not sodering the wires right
Old 02-16-2004
Premium Member

i agree with madwheel about staffords customer service and how he helps you over the phone......but when i got the wrong color pipes, i called him several times and left voice messages on his phone and left my home number for him to call me back, he never did. That pissed me off. If it wasn't for Catalyst, i would be a very unhappy person right now.
Old 02-16-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Yes the calling back from voicemail happens very rarely, but everything else is good by me.

BTW - I'm nto bashing on specific members on this site so please take no offense.

On another note. My B on Greddy, I'm very impressed with that and Kudos to them.

I still stand by other things I've said though, with all fairness of course.
Old 02-16-2004
Premium Member

Originally posted by MadWheel
Yes the calling back from voicemail happens very rarely, but everything else is good by me.
I can understand for not calling me back if it was something stupid......but i considered my situation pretty damn important.

Quick Reply: who's waiting on SF kit