Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here!

turbo k24 blows out blackish water on cold start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbohatch33 is an unknown quantity at this point
turbo k24 blows out blackish water on cold start.

As title say my turbo K24 blows out blackish water on cold start an I wanna know why. I'm new to the turbo seen so its got me stumped. I've looked all over the internet reading for about a month an have gotten no where. Car runs like a dream an has lots of power. I'm just worried its oil is coming through the turbo an mixing with condensation. If so how can I fix it. The car does not have a full exhaust. It has about 3.5ft of exhaust off the turbo. Any help would be appreciated. No smart *** comments please. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: turbo k24 blows out blackish water on cold start.

Black soot will result from rich A/F ratio..
Water is 100% the result of normal condensation of hot humid exhaust gases hitting cold exhaust pipes.
Old 12-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbohatch33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Black soot will result from rich A/F ratio..
Water is 100% the result of normal condensation of hot humid exhaust gases hitting cold exhaust pipes.

Thanks Slumbertcivic. So I need to lean it out some to make it stop? It's a/f gauge reads 10.0 when get into it and 13-14 when I'm cruising at 60mph but idles at 16+

I haven't had the car very long and still figuring it out. I plan on having it tuned soon since idk what the tune was when I bought it. With those number will it hurt it any or am I good to drive it till I get it tuned?
Old 12-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Chemistry 101: The byproducts of burning hydrocarbons are CO2 and H2O

It's just water coming out of the exhaust. Totally normal.
There's always soot in the exhaust, also totally normal.

You say the car runs great, DO NOT lean it out or change anything.
If it's at 10:1 under max load....... is it supposed to be running E-85?
I'd expect 12-12.5:1 for NA on straight gasoline, but I'm not used to seeing numbers for a turbo application.
Old 12-18-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I believe for turbo application you run richer as boost increases to keep cylinder temps down. Depending on boost amount it might need to be that rich. I wouldn’t go leaning things out, thats dangerous. Take it to a tuner and see what they say.