Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

DX to Ex conversion Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OutlawJDM is an unknown quantity at this point
DX to Ex conversion Please Help

hello everyone i am truing to get to the bottom of something. i have an auto 2004 civic 4 door dx. it recently blew the bottom end and my girl bought me a jam d17a vtec. my question is i know a vafc2 can just be wired but so many people say to follow H8a diagram and some say don't use that use the h7a one? would it be easier to just use the 04 honda civic ex harness i have and edu and just get a key made at honda for 50 bucks? would i need anything else to make it run? Please help new to the site but not new to the game. thanks
Old 01-15-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: DX to Ex conversion Please Help

if the harness and ECU are for auto, *possibly*?
not sure if there would be any of the other stuff that might require work, depending on what your car have and what the other car had?
Old 01-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't answer your questions....There are probably several different ways you could go with it.

I can tell you that if you decide to use a stock EX PCM in a stock configuration, you would need to get the EX PCM programmed to the immobilizer unit already in your car so it will let the engine run. Use your original keys and ignition.

Just getting a new key by itself won't do you any good at all.

The dealer I work for charges half the price of other dealers nearby for programming keys and stuff.
Old 01-15-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, yeah, i forgot to mention the immobilizer
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

well the swap is in the car with the dx harness and edu and the car runs idles fine just don't wanna try driving it without the vtec. thats why i so lost i don't know what is the safest way to get it to run right and not worrie about it
Old 01-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Drive it, you are done.

The engine doesn't care if the VTEC stuff is connected or not. That can't hurt it.

You don't have anything connected to the VTEC stuff, it will act like a normal non-VTEC engine. That's all it is now.

YMMV

Is there anything else you didn't have wires for? Everything else is hooked up?
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

no took out the old motor swapped moved over the tranny to the jdm d17a harness on my car had all the same plugs didn't even move anything over. the only thing that was different was the jam alt and it cause the ground and the plug were reversed but still hooked it up. left the dx exhaust on no check engine light. have a battery light on and an airbag light and that it. the radio is weird also it will work on acc but not when the car runs. but it idles good revs good no vtec sensor is hooked up so it got me i didn't think it was gonna be that easy. lol