Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

01 civic turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about
Re: 01 civic turbo help

thanks bro also do you recomend taking off the resonator? cause im in the processes of redoing my exhaust and i think imma put 2.5 all the way from the cat back and take it off what do you think?
Old 05-30-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I have a random tech high flow cat (2.5" downpipe) and a 2.25" cat-back (A'PEXi World Sport-II) that has a resonator and a chambered muffler.. It's really up to you

I wasn't running high boost though, but it was still fun to drive.
Old 05-30-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

tru tru but im talkin bout befor a turbo. ive heard that going any bigger is a waste of time and money because you loose tq.
Old 05-30-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

hell, I was running that before, during, and after the turbo.. I still have that setup on my car
Old 05-30-2010
Registered!!

lol so its ok not to have a resonator right?
Old 06-05-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

If you are going to start doing your work yourself, pick a haynes manul in any autostore for starters. When it is not enough anymore, get a honda manual ( i got mine in some site that i can't remember anymore, but they are on sale in the internet). That alos includes how to take out and service the transmission.
The manuals are well worth the small price you pay.
They won't tell you howhat is needed to swap an manual, but there are several threads in the forum concerning that.
Old 06-05-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

you have alot to learn....alot to learn.
Old 06-16-2010
Registered!!

yo time to reopen this. i have a friend here with a totaled eclipse he is parting it out and i asked him to hold the engin off of it. i was wondering if i could use the turbo parts off of it.
Old 06-16-2010
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need a manifold to mate with the turbo no?
Old 06-16-2010
Registered!!

well i know that i was just wondering if it would be worth buying that set up and fixing it up to my car.
Old 06-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

like ronaldo mentioned, you'll need a mani. I think the only thing you'll be able to use is the turbo itself, and I think mitsu OEM uses a Garrett T25 turbo. Hell, if you can get it for free or hella cheap, go for it
Old 06-16-2010
Remebers the old days

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

A T25 Mitsu turbo is only going to net you 225whp Tops (was my first turbo setup) Then it runs out of air. On a stock motor your looking at making 195whp top. But it is a good starting point until you start changing parts out and will give you the cahnce to learn about this stuff before you go waisting money.

Ive done 2 Auto to manual swaps and they are a pain in the *** but can be done in your garage. There is alot of **** that you will need as well. I can make you a list later on when Im not at work.

With the amount of money your going to spend on this turbo build to get a goal of 400whp.....(Good luck by the way. I know andyman personally and have done work on that car and I know all we went through to get there). Your better off swapping in a K20 and boosting that. Less money in the long run and less headache.
Old 06-16-2010
Remebers the old days

CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

I built a RSX K20 stock motor turbo that made 398whp and 334wtq. Total cost was about 6 grand. Add that to the cost of a motor swap your looking at about 10-12g's total.

with all the custom fabbing and upgrading and headache or boosting the SOHC i think im about 11-12g's just in the motor. and I'm almost maxxed out at 318whp. Only thing left is a bigger turbo and better manifold and retune. Thats another 2500 right there.
Old 07-07-2010
Registered!!

ok so i found a turbo header for our gen that is reasonably priced but it isnt for the ex. will the dx and lx manifold holes line up? just courious. also has anyone ever done a turbo by the exhaust? ive always wanted to do that to my car. just wondering thanks
Old 09-15-2010
Registered!!

vike4420 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a question if i just buy a ebay turbo kit for my 01 civic ex do i have to change my ecu and fuel pump. if im only going to run it at 6 to 8psi?? help please
Old 09-19-2011
Registered!!

ok time to wake a dead thread for this one. i now have a chance to get everything for a turbo kit minus piping oil and vacuum line and a down pipe. if i just want to run it at like 4 psi till i build and swap tranny would that be ok? i really just want it for the blow off sound right now.lol i know im dumb but i really do.lol
any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

No matter how you approach it a turbo will cost some serious cash, if the blow off valve sound is worth that to you then go for it.

I have a feeling you need to consider a few other necessary expences: k-pro and the modified cam gear ($1000), dyno tuning ($300-500), arp head studs and a new head gasket ($175).
Old 09-19-2011
Registered!!

im planing for all that in the future i just want to know if it would be safe to put the kit on and run really low boost till i am able to rebuild my motor and everything else. and some one tried tellin me that it would be better to turbo an auto than a manual. i dont believe that but thats a diff story. i wanna know if it would be safe to turbo a stock motor and trans at a low boost.
Old 09-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Yes, it is safe to turbo a stock engine and tranny to 12psi with head studs, but I wouldn't run above 8psi daily.

Whoever told you it's better to turbo an automatic has absolutely no idea what they're talking about, especially in regards to 7th gens.

You need engine management to run even very low psi, if you want a reliable engine you need k-pro, even at low boost. You could go with greddy emanage, but your better off spending your money once on the engine management you really need. Same goes with dyno tuning, you can't just slap the kit on not have it tuned, regardless of the boost level it needs to be done. The head gasket and studs are just safety things, if you really want to skip them you could.
Old 09-19-2011
Registered!!

thats what I wanted to hear thanks. I may just try and find a
Another motor to build on the side
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

ursalog is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright man, i just want to say. If you are going to be serious about building a powerful civic, youre gonna have to get away from the d17a2 platform. Its going to cost you more money to do a proper kit on it and still have less power than a good k20 ever will. so just swap over to a k20 or b16 or if youre feeling frisky go for a b20. if you just want to be rice and make your car go pshhh then cool i think they sell kits for that at auto zone, if youre looking to race someone (other than another riced out civic) buy yourself another engine block/head, most k20s they sell come with a lsd tranny from the rsx which is really what you want when running power. sit it in you garage and give it lost of love, in the meantime drive your civic to work and back and bide your time and when you've reached a masterpiece throw your crappy old d17 away and drop that badboy in the car, get your tune perfect with a reputable tuner with a dyno and with k-pro, and then talk smack to those v8's s2000s w/e you want as they disappear into your rearview mirror. I owned a 2001 honda civic ex and i loved it with all my heart and i had the dreams of building it up, wasted a lot of dumb money for it (i.e headers/intake) then i came to my senses and drooled over a k20 the jdm version (YEAH!) but i never got around to it. Nowdays i ride around in a 2011 Subaru WRX STi so i know a little more about turbos/tuning so whan i hear you say the words d17a2 and automatic and turbo and i want to hear my car go pshh its a little funny but i wont pick on you because ive been there and i had a sweet *** exhaust on my civic that cost me $600 or something haha waste of money. if i wanted to make power i shouldve saved my money bought a new engine and did it all right and prope. i charge you to do the right thing so i can live vicariously through you. well not technically but yeah, if you succeed ill feel good about it. if you have any intelligent questions about forced induction that havent been covered let me know
Old 10-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Swapping a b16 or a b20 into a 7th gen isn't an option. The only k-series transmission with LSD sold in North America was bolted to the k20z3 in a Civic Si, not the RSX.

K20s and k24s are an infinitely better platform than almost any other engine though, if your serious about building a Honda you'd be a fool to go with anything else.
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Swapping a b16 or a b20 into a 7th gen isn't an option. The only k-series transmission with LSD sold in North America was bolted to the k20z3 in a Civic Si, not the RSX.

K20s and k24s are an infinitely better platform than almost any other engine though, if your serious about building a Honda you'd be a fool to go with anything else.
I meant 2000-05 integra type r, i said jdm. k20a1 not usdm rsx typer-s k20a2 sorry about the confusion. i thought b20 or b16 will fit into the engine compartment, not as easily as with k20 motor mounts but you can get custom mounts made? no matter what you get you want that lsd tranny.

Last edited by ursalog; 10-10-2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: i though
Old 10-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Ah I missed the JDM part, sorry, your post was long.

Technically it's a k20a, they don't add the one for some reason, and the DC5-R generation of the JDM ITR was from 2002-2006. 2000 and 2001 were still DC2-R years with a b18c5. LSD is definitely one of the most worthwhile things you can purchase if your going turbo, don't go with a stock 6 speed if you want to make over 450whp though, the gea rs are weak so teeth tend to shear off. Either swap a set of EP3 gears into the 6 speed case or completely swap to a ep3 5 speed and look at aftermarket lsds, there are lots available.

Ursalog, I don't mean my post to sound like I'm continually correcting you, I can definitely tell you know what you're talking about. Just little things like years were a bit off and I wanted to correct them just in case anyone new reads your post and gets confused.
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

No prob, ive been out of the honda scene for about a year now so yeah. If you tried to correct me on some subaru stuff then i might be up in arms :P JP im trying to sell some of my old honda parts that are sitting in my garage so i stopped to see whats going on in the performance side. as expected a lot of young kids with big dreams and low budgets. but they all want it all right now, which i can relate to but you know, been there done that, move on to subaru but now i want it all again haha time to flex them credit cards
Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

now i kknow i was dumb befor with the whole blow off valve thing. but i want to know somethingelse. you said 8daily with studs now i am in the processes of pieceing together a 5speed swap i am short pedals and some other random small stuff. now i still have the auto. i have a guy basically giving me a turbo kit. is it safe for a daily to run it at low boost? i ask because my exhaust manifold has a leak sounds like **** and its gettin on my nerves. i want to just go ahead and put the kkit on so it sounds better and performs better 2. i still have to drive the car till i piece together the manual swap so can it be done? or should i just put up wiht the shitty leak and wait? thanks guys for puttin up with me
Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

oh and the reason i am doing the d17 is because i want to prove it can do what the k can for less.
Old 02-29-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

D17 can do things, but it will never be a K-series.

If you have a piggy back to tune with 8 daily should be fine.
Old 03-10-2012
Remebers the old days

If your goal is to run 200hp then yes you can get a D17a2 to run that for less than swaping a K motor in. I did that on stock block with ARP head studs and an OEM head gasket over tightened to 60pounds. with a T25bb turbo. 223whp at 14psi for 2 years to be exact. Total cost was right around $4200.

Now on the other side I'm in to it for about $9500 just in the engine bay to run 318whp on the d17a2 with stock tranny and stage 5 Comp clutch. Still cheaper than swaping in a k20 but not as easy. and that also with me doing all the work. Add shop prices to that and your better off buying a wrecked RSX and rapeing it for everything you need and selling the shell to a scrap yard.
Old 03-10-2012
Remebers the old days

Oh but on a side note. Just keep in mind.

There are a couple companies that sell bolt on turbo kits for our cars that are very good.
Dezodmotorsports is one I would highly reccomend.

No one sells a turbo kit for a K20 swap in to our cars. So everything would have to be custom. You can find a top mount manifold to fit but takes some modding to work.

Quick Reply: 01 civic turbo help