General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Question for Grey

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jared is an unknown quantity at this point
Question for Grey

I saw in member rides that you installed some compression type hinges for your trunk. What size are they? I'd like to install some myself. Thanks
Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
I was about to say PM , but I'm interested also....[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't seen Grey around here in weeks. you may be waiting a while.
Old 05-30-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
he went on vacation, prolly be back in another week or 2
Old 05-30-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
I think he's actually coming back on the 1st.

-Kre
Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
lotsa ppl have them, i use a C 072-420 sealed cartridge lift arm made by steadylift, but its pretty ghetto and pretty violent....

now whats REALLY trick is the struts hes got on his hood [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-01-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Okay, I'm back! No internet access in almost all of the hotels I was in. 3-star hotels too. It's just that they advertise that they have a "Data Port". Guess what that is? Just an extra telephone jack! Sucks since I'm used to ethernet.

Anyway, on to your question...

Check out www.burrite.com too. He modeled his after mine. His are a little different. First off his trunk shocks are a lot stronger and he used these mounting brackets. His opens up a little further than mine too. Better design. I bought some mounting brackets too and I will install them in not too long. Those will help me out and I should actually be able to open the trunk all the way. Right now it opens to about 70 degrees from horizontal. Burrite's looks like it opens to about 80. Hopefully I can get it to open to 90, but I'de be happy with 85. Anyway, I also have trunk springs installed. I made them myself and I modeled them after the stock ones.

My trunk shocks only use 15 pounds of extensible force. My trunk opens by itself just barely. Burrite's use something like 50 or 60 pounds each.

My way of doing things puts less stress on the trunk. Burrites way is simpler. If his stuff has held up this long then I think it's safer to just get rid of the trunk springs totally and use trunk shocks instead. Those mounting brackets ensure a solid grip on the steel as well, so use those for sure. The way he mounted the shocks is also clever. It gives him more room in the back as the trunk opens. Since the thick part of the shock gets in the way if the shock were mounted the other way.

All of this stuff can be bought off of www.mcmaster.com Go to: Power Transmission > Gas Springs and Shock Absorbers > Gas Springs with Threaded Ends. Now just read that whole page and measure your trunk very well. You'll need accurate measurements to know what to buy. Also check out "End Fittings for Gas Springs" to buy the appropriate end fittings. They will just screw on the ends of the shocks. I reccomend you get the ball and socket end fittings. Although maybe you could do this with the eyelet end fittings?

I can't really say which ones I used. I kinda forgot. Maybe it was the ones with the stroke length of 5.47"? Anyway, don't go by what I bought. There are many ways of doing this. I know that burrite bought a different size than I did.
Old 06-03-2002
Registered!!

jared is an unknown quantity at this point
Muchas gracias
Old 06-03-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
denada