General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

AP2 Steering Wheel Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nice
AP2 Steering Wheel Q's

Alright, i recently purchased an ap2 steering wheel and i am planning on installing it next weekend but im nervous about messing with an airbag. Ive read the other threads regarding the issue but im open to any advice, particularly from someone whose done the install. If i feel confident enough, i might write up a proper DIY.

I made sure to buy an ap2 wheel because of the dual stage airbag but when i check the back of the airbag i only see one yellow connector and i was under the impression there should be one yellow and one red wiring, for each of the two stages. I certainly hope i did not get an ap2 wheel with a ap1 airbag.
Old 06-02-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold
Re: AP2 Steering Wheel Q's

Pictures, maybe?

How many contacts are there in the connector? And where'd you get the wheel?
Old 06-02-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

I can help jooooooooo.......

I'm not certain that ALL AP2's were dual stage (it was a 2004 or 2005 change). The amount of plugs isn't the issue as there can be dual stage in a single plug. What matters is that there is a red set and a yellow set of wires (this will match yours).

I have an 03 wheel with an 05 bag right now. The install is too simple. It literally just unbolts. The only think that takes time, honestly, is the cruise control as it takes a little soldering and paying attention to wires. Otherwise I rate it a 3 on the difficulty scale.
Old 06-02-2008
Registered!!

spudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nice

Old 06-02-2008
Registered!!

Pictures, maybe?

How many contacts are there in the connector? And where'd you get the wheel?

I have an 03 wheel with an 05 bag right now. The install is too simple. It literally just unbolts. The only think that takes time, honestly, is the cruise control as it takes a little soldering and paying attention to wires. Otherwise I rate it a 3 on the difficulty scale.
Its kinda a relief that someone else is currently doing this. If your bag is dual stage, does it resemble mine? I believe the wheel is off an 05.
Old 06-02-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Thats a single stage. Pick which one you want to work on your own car and put a 2ohm resistor on the other to keep the light from coming on. Personally, I'd sell it and get the right bag.

I looked at a 2005 on ebay and the wheel/bag are correct. That means they must not have made the change to dual stage until 2006 (kinda behind the times you think?)

Here is a 2006 off eBay and it has the same airbag as mine. You can see they look different.

Last edited by Rufus; 06-02-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2008
Registered!!

Not to be a pain in the *** but could you possibly take a picture of your airbag, back and front? I think i might have found another wheel with the correct bag but i don't feel like going through this process again and i just want to make sure. And thanks for your help +1
Old 06-02-2008
Premium Member

It looks just like the one I posted above. The back looks like yours but it also has a yellow set of wires in addition to those red ones.
Old 06-02-2008
Registered!!

So basically your airbag looks like this from behind, with the exception of it being an s2000 airbag?

Took this from another thread

Thanks for all the help btw
Old 06-02-2008
Premium Member

Ding ding
Old 06-03-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

you can also swap out the detonators. people used to do that with the jdm ep3's.. since jdm was single stage and usdm was dual. you could remove the detonator and swap them. of course, you do this at your own risk and getting a dual stage bag that will actually plug in and work is always better.
Old 06-16-2008
Registered!!

Alright, i managed to get my hands on a brand new 2008 s2000 steering wheel with a dual stage airbag but ive encountered a problem. The connector from the civic for the airbag does not match the connector from the s2000 airbag. There both four pins but they do not match up. I know absolutely nothing about anything electronic so im at a standstill.

I was thinking i could remove the connector from the ap2 airbag and replace it with the connector from the civic airbag so the bag will match up with the car but im not sure that will work. Any ideas? I WILL NOT change the detonators, that just doesn't sound safe but ^ thanks for the idea. Every incomplete diy i read involves a 2ohm resistor and cutting wires, i do not see why any of this would be necessary.
Old 06-16-2008
Registered!!

Connector from civic to airbag

Connector from civic airbag

Connector from s2000 airbag (the wires for the s2000 airbag are smaller than the wires for the civic

Old 06-17-2008
Premium Member

Ya it's not plug and play man, you have to cut and solder them.
Old 06-17-2008
Registered!!

knight_321 has a spectacular aura aboutknight_321 has a spectacular aura about

the DC5 or EP3 is just straight bolt on yeah?

none if this air bag issue yeah??
Old 06-17-2008
Premium Member

It's not a scary thing, just clip and solder.
Old 06-18-2008
Registered!!

Finished the job so im currently writing up a DIY

thanks rufus