General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

diy for HID projectors in tyc projector headlights?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light
diy for HID projectors in tyc projector headlights?????

i've been trying to search for a diy on this but can't find anything anywhere. is there a diy for putting HID projectors in tyc projector headlights or angel eye projector headlights? thanks....
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
there you go

http://retrofit1.dirtysamurai.com/
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light
thanks man i appreciate it!
Old 03-14-2006
The black russian

hexed is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
good write-up there, thx
Old 03-14-2006
THE LONE STAR STATE

texascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of light
Subscribed for reference later...

texascivic2k1
Old 03-14-2006
O.O

delusional1 has a spectacular aura aboutdelusional1 has a spectacular aura aboutdelusional1 has a spectacular aura about
putting HIDs in tyc is the same as putting them in any other headlights i believe, just stick the bulbs in, connect it to the plugs , and find somewhere to strap down the harness .. and make sure your left harness isnt too close to the brake lines cuz i already broke 2 lines x.x
Old 03-14-2006
Boobies are the mans tinkertoys

dp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to behold
not quite buddy. you take the halogen projectors out and replace them with HID projecotrs. its not only the bulbs that make it clearer and brighter, its the projectors too
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

EM2typeflex is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by hexed
good write-up there, thx
thank you thank you're so kind (me trying to take credit for the write up) j/k
It is a good write up done by the master of lighting himself INFINITE012. Tried getting him to do mine but he insisted I do my own sh*t. I'm was like damn.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
You are RIGHT my friend
Pic for Ref..

S2k on Top,
TYC on Bottom

Originally Posted by dp_yz713
not quite buddy. you take the halogen projectors out and replace them with HID projecotrs. its not only the bulbs that make it clearer and brighter, its the projectors too
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by EM2typeflex
thank you thank you're so kind (me trying to take credit for the write up) j/k
It is a good write up done by the master of lighting himself INFINITE012. Tried getting him to do mine but he insisted I do my own sh*t. I'm was like damn.

he probably figured if you can do your own k20 swap then you can do your own retro..lol.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

EM2typeflex is an unknown quantity at this point
he probably figured if you can do your own k20 swap then you can do your own retro..lol.
Naw Fool, I paid to get the k done cause I had no time, so I wanted to pay to get my retrofit done as well.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

oh my mistake.
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

Madchild is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dp_yz713
could you tell the difference between this 2 projectors?
The fact is that I replaced only bulbs (h1) with electronic blocks on accords (last gen., 2.0ltr) several times and it was anough...
Old 03-16-2006
A big, hairy Kentucky boy
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

stinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to all
The HID in the TYC projectors looks like the following picture(stolen from gearbox), only brighter:

Compare that to the shot in the retrofit DIY.

There was a member here with HID in their TYCs, but I can't seem to find that picture.
Old 03-16-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya except with H1 hid in tyc projector you have ghost images and glare all over.
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by stinkypie
The HID in the TYC projectors looks like the following picture(stolen from gearbox), only brighter:

Compare that to the shot in the retrofit DIY.

There was a member here with HID in their TYCs, but I can't seem to find that picture.
So the difference is brightness. Right? Not a good news.
I wanted to order head lights like this

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-03-HONDA-CIVIC-HALO-PROJECTOR-HEAD-LIGHTS-LIGHT-BK_W0QQitemZ8046360767QQcategoryZ33710QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem
(sorry about link but i cant post direct links now, like forum says)

and to install HID (H1) bulbs in it. Becouse I don't want to install bi-xenon in original civic2001 head lights, that I have nowdays... But in this way I should replace projectors in new head lights.
Old 03-16-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yeah dont get h1 hid bulb and slap it in. the beam and glare will be terrible.
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah dont get h1 hid bulb and slap it in. the beam and glare will be terrible.
The fact is that there are a lot of cars whith such HID in my city...
Old 03-16-2006
Boobies are the mans tinkertoys

dp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Madchild
could you tell the difference between this 2 projectors?
The fact is that I replaced only bulbs (h1) with electronic blocks on accords (last gen., 2.0ltr) several times and it was anough...
what 2 projectors?

Originally Posted by Madchild
The fact is that there are a lot of cars whith such HID in my city...
and it sucks huh....

Last edited by dp_yz713; 03-16-2006 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-16-2006
Premium Member

ya i get blinded on a daily basis and then i cant see well cause of the spots in my eyes for a bit.
Old 01-21-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
i know this thread is ancient, but it's just what i was looking for when i searched. nice writeup. so if i wanted to have HID low beams and seperate high beams, this would be the best way to do it? versus just doing a retro to my stock housings with a bi-xenon? i was looking at getting the "Complete Bosch Xenon D2S HID Projector Package" from HID Planet and putting the bosch projectors into the TYC housings.
Old 01-21-2007
Premium Member

yeah, since you run the xenons with a separate harness, you can even have it so that the lo beam stays on when you turn the highs on. its a ton of light having hid and halogen on at same time for back roads. just gotta tap the hid harness trigger to the 12V headlight wire, and ground the ballasts to the chassis, and the lo beam will stay on in both lo and hi beam positions. the 12v wire is red/yel for passenger plug and red for driver side plug. upgrade harnesses are available at suvlights.com (universal fog light harness).
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

TurismoDreamin is a jewel in the roughTurismoDreamin is a jewel in the roughTurismoDreamin is a jewel in the rough
I too searched for HID retrofitting and got this thread. Perfect DIY write up btw. I only have one question. Those Valeo projectors...I was planning on using something like Acura TSX projectors. Will the fit be the same?

If I were to use those Valeo projectors, where could I find some and what kinda of bulbs do they use? Also, where can I find a wiring diagram for such a project??? I hope to do this kinda retrofit next month so I need to know as much as possible, thanks guys!
Old 02-21-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
man, I'd love to do a retrofit but its just so much money. I allready got the headlights for it too.
Old 02-21-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TurismoDreamin
I too searched for HID retrofitting and got this thread. Perfect DIY write up btw. I only have one question. Those Valeo projectors...I was planning on using something like Acura TSX projectors. Will the fit be the same?

If I were to use those Valeo projectors, where could I find some and what kinda of bulbs do they use? Also, where can I find a wiring diagram for such a project??? I hope to do this kinda retrofit next month so I need to know as much as possible, thanks guys!
1. no, tsx wont easly fit like the valeos...tycs will require extensive modification because it is soo fatty wide...

2. ALL oem projector (tsx,valeo, e46, etc...) use d2s bulb. only oem are philips or orasm

3. you will probably want to make a wiring harness....and if you have an 01-03 you will need to intergrate a diode that will allow you to TURN UR HIGH BEAMS ON WHILE LOWBEAMS ARE ON...

meaning when u turn/flicker ur high beams on, it wont shut off ur low beams (hid ballast)

....because flickering ballast on and off are bad for them...
Old 02-21-2007
Premium Member

some oem projector also uses D1S bulb. only oem are philips, GE, and osram that are being sold on the market. a wire harness is mandatory. If you already have an upgrade harness, you dont need diodes, just a few wire changes. i didnt need diodes for mine, just ground the ballast and run the hid power to the harness trigger. then rewire the hibeam using the stock harness.
Old 02-22-2007
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
3. you will probably want to make a wiring harness....and if you have an 01-03 you will need to intergrate a diode that will allow you to TURN UR HIGH BEAMS ON WHILE LOWBEAMS ARE ON...

meaning when u turn/flicker ur high beams on, it wont shut off ur low beams (hid ballast)

....because flickering ballast on and off are bad for them...
don't use a diode unless you can find one with very high amp rating. the common one people use for this is the 1N4007. that only has a 1A rating. the way people install these diodes, you'll be running close to 5A through it which is dangerous. it's much easier and safer to build a harness and use the wire connections to do the switching for you. you can connect the relays in a manner that will keep the lows on with the highs without using a diode. as for the "flickering", it's really not that bad. if you think about it, cars with OEM bi-xenons will be flashing their HID's during the day if they flash to pass. so if the auto manufacturers think this is fine, then who are we to say it's not?
Old 02-22-2007
Premium Member

well some newer ballast have builtin circuitry to account for warm strikes. older ones do not so if you flash them them will stay red for a while and this is really bad. arent oem cars bixenon anyway? idk youre right tho some cars with separate hi beam will flash off the lo beam. still doesnt make it okay tho.
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

TurismoDreamin is a jewel in the roughTurismoDreamin is a jewel in the roughTurismoDreamin is a jewel in the rough
Woah, okay okay, this is the first i've heard about this diode business...and ive been researching HIDs for a couple months now, lol. The more I think about it, I trust myself less and less to do the DIY for HID retrofitting. So I think I might have to stick with a plain PnP HID kit for my OEM headlights. Maybe if I can find a shop to do it affordably for me, then i'll reconsider it but in the meantime, I need HIDs.

Now about this diode. You'll need it in order to shut off your lows and turn on your highs so that they will not be on at the same time, correct? Also, does anyone have a picture of this diode....and better yet, a wiring diagram?? I have a few wiring diagrams but now that this diode popped up, I think im gonna need another, lol...
Old 02-22-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Woah, okay okay, this is the first i've heard about this diode business...and ive been researching HIDs for a couple months now, lol. The more I think about it, I trust myself less and less to do the DIY for HID retrofitting. So I think I might have to stick with a plain PnP HID kit for my OEM headlights. Maybe if I can find a shop to do it affordably for me, then i'll reconsider it but in the meantime, I need HIDs.
don't get a pnp kit. you'll blind other drivers with the glare. plus, more than 24 different manufacturer's kits have been made illegal by the NHTSA. should tell you right there that pnp kits are junk. and you don't NEED HID's. no one NEEDS them. we all just want them. i know i do, that's why i'm doing a retro. i'm not willing to resort to blinding other people and causing a dangerous situation just for my impatient satisfaction. i've been working on my retro and had HID parts laying around for a couple weeks. imagine my anticipation. i can fire them up and look how cool they look shining on the walls, but they're not in my car!

Now about this diode. You'll need it in order to shut off your lows and turn on your highs so that they will not be on at the same time, correct? Also, does anyone have a picture of this diode....and better yet, a wiring diagram?? I have a few wiring diagrams but now that this diode popped up, I think im gonna need another, lol...
no, complete oposite. if you have H4 headlights, the low beam goes off when you turn on the high beam. people use a diode to trick the low beams into staying on. if you do this the way most people do, it's very dangerous and you risk burning up your stock wiring and causing an electrical fire in your engine compartment. see my post above about the diode. on top of that, if you're trying to run both high and low beam at the same time without a properly designed wire harness, you're going to be pulling double the amount of current through tiny factory wires that weren't meant to do that. again, risking a fire. you either need to install a properly designed wire harness, or don't do this at all.

Quick Reply: diy for HID projectors in tyc projector headlights?????