General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

What should I use for an intake tube?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flsurflover is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a stock '02 Civic Coupe EX 5-spd. I recently put in a K&N drop-in filter to the stock airbox. I like the results and the car has a *little* more pep around 5-6kRPMS. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. The old filter was a stock Honda filter that was new and clean.

I want to remove the resonator to see what it sounds like and just to see if it feels any different while driving. Don't worry, I'm not expecting much of a difference in performance, if any. I realize it will probably be just a difference in sound. I do not plan to purchase a CCA or SRI, or upgrade the header or exhaust.

I want to install a DIY tube or hose to go from the stock airbox to the same stock air pickup location by the battery. I'm looking for recommendations on what material to use for the intake tube/hose, as well as the inner diameter.

I know the tube/hose should be as smooth as possible on the inside, with as few bends and turns as possible.

Should I use a metal like aluminum, a rubber hose, or a plastic/pvc tube?

Should I use 2.5" inner diameter or 3"?

Also, does anyone know what size the inlet fitting to the stock airbox is (3"?)
Old 12-13-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
the inlet is 2.5 inches. Just get any stlye of flex hose
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

flsurflover is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the inlet size. I'll probably stick with 2.5" i.d. then.

I'm wondering which would be best at keeping the air coolest through the hot engine compartment: pvc, plastic hose, rubber hose, or aluminum pipe.

K&N makes their cheaper CCA and SRI from aluminum, but makes their most expensive FIPK II from a plastic. But AEM uses just aluminum.

I know this is not crucial or anything. It just seems like since this is almost free, I might as well pick the material that would resist the heat the best or get rid of heat the fastest. Why does AEM use aluminum but K&N use plastic for their top of the line intakes?
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
abs plastics and composite carbon will keep the most heat out/ambient temps in. i think the fipk is a carbon composite. metal will absorb the most heat. i have a sri, but i built a heatshield out of two pieces of stainless steel that i tacked together with air ventalation between to insulate the pipping. it makes about a noticable degree drop from engine to filter. but that takes time, which you don't seem to have....also my first civic i took a coffee can and opened both sides, strapped a 13 inch k&n to it, and hose clamped it to the TB. it was sweet and super loud!!
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

12345678910 is an unknown quantity at this point
with an intake and a strut bar, i have some good rubbing going on..

is there anything without replacing either, that will move my intake an inch forward?
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
Either heat shield or thermal wrap will help keep the temps down. As stated above, plastic seems to have better ability to keep hot air outside and cooler air inside, and metal heats up (and cools down) faster.

And for:
Originally Posted by 12345678910
with an intake and a strut bar, i have some good rubbing going on..

is there anything without replacing either, that will move my intake an inch forward?
Um, no. Neuspeed or DC Sports strut bars will clear an intake.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

lindermant will become famous soon enoughlindermant will become famous soon enough
picked up a shop vac hose from lowes and snaked it down to my fog light inlet. I don't remember the #'s exactly, but my air intake temps dropped quite a bit (using scangauge to read IAT).

Old 12-14-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
a lot of insects can crawl in there and make their houses in your engine..
Old 12-14-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lindermant
picked up a shop vac hose from lowes and snaked it down to my fog light inlet. I don't remember the #'s exactly, but my air intake temps dropped quite a bit (using scangauge to read IAT).

Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slowwhitecivic will become famous soon enough
lol im gona try this just to see how it goes
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

lindermant will become famous soon enoughlindermant will become famous soon enough
hose connects to factory air filter box (only resonator and inlet tube off of resonator removed) - no junk gets into the engine:

Old 12-15-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
WTF?? I feel like Sujak. I'm all pissed off. I don't even know why, but this is the stupidest thing I think I've ever seen on this site. Shop vac hose?? It looks too small. The ribs on the inside are going to make it even harder to draw air through. You will negate that .025 HP increase you got from taking off the resonator by suffocating your engine. And the hose sticking out where the fog light should be looks ghetto as hell. If you're not going to put an actual intake on there, you should have left everything stock, or just removed the resonator and called it a day. 7th gen civics are decent cars. You should not be half assing your car like you would a 1991 Hyundai you're trying to keep running without investing any money. While you're at it, why don't you make yourself a lip for the front out of landscape edging??
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

MYK1013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lindermant

Dude, you better check your filter. Bet you'll find all sorts of pebbles and bugs in there. That thing SUCKS !!
Old 12-15-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
It might work better if you took the shop vac motor unit, duct taped it to your bumper, and then connected your home made cold air intake to the exhaust/blower connection on the shop vac. It would be like an electric supercharger.

/sarcasm
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

BCCentaur3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, that is pretty damn ghetto.
Old 12-15-2006
i love my morreale

eddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of light
this makes me sad
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
I hope you don't drive it like that in the rain, even if it is a hose for a wet/dry vac. It's just a long straw waiting for a puddle...
Old 12-15-2006

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
sujak, lol @ your sig
Old 12-16-2006
Registered!!

Erikwithak86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by flsurflover
Simple, and actual intake.

I really wish people would stop fagging up imports.
Old 12-16-2006

haha