Anyone in Nor Cal performed a k20 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
logikbmb is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone in Nor Cal performed a k20 swap?

To all I was wondering if anyone in Nor Cal has done the K20 swap with their 7th Gens. I was was debating on either the K20a or K20a2 for potential swaps. My main concern is that I want to have a daily driven street car and be able to pass bar. With passing smog with the K20a2 with USDM ECU and motor should I pass with it being legit.
Old 08-29-2006
Registered!!

I'm also looking in the possibly swaping with a K24a2 + k20a2 head & tranny. I should be to be bared but the other thing is making it a daily ride smog legal (heh). Anyways if you have input it would help out. Thanks
Old 08-29-2006
Registered!!

pmau is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.blacktrax.net/
Old 08-29-2006
Boost is so good make you wanna slap ya mamma
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

red_sun is on a distinguished road
Some of the cali engine swap guidelines are

1.) Engine must be from a car that is same year or newer.

2.) Engine can be larger than stock motor but can not be from a heavy-duty vehicle.

3.) Engine and chassis must have all their original emissions equipment.

4.)If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

After you have engine installed you have to go to the state ref to get them to go over everything to make sure everything was done right and that you have all of the proper emission equipment installed. Then they will smog test you car to the specs of the engine swapped in. If they pass you then you get some paper work that says you car has been certified by a state ref and its ok. Then if you ever get pulled over by a cop or need to get your car smogged it will be ok.

There might be more but thats pretty much all I can think of for now.
Old 08-29-2006
Registered!!

Nice ride you got there Red Sun. I really would like to do the K20a2 or K20a swap but is so damn expensive. I think there's more potential with the K24a2 swap. then again I'm use to driving wiht Em2 with the D17. Anyone done a swap with their EM2 and wouldn't mid taking me for a test drive to give me the final push for the swap.
Old 08-30-2006
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
No one in NorCal on the forums has a swap, TMK. Couple of boosted ones though. Ton of SoCal people have swaps though
Old 08-30-2006
Registered!!

Yeah thats what i looks like it. So Cal is a different story. I'm comapring the costs between the K20a2 / k20a3 + boast / k24a2 + k20a2 head + k20a2 tranny and rsx type components. If I'm goign to do all this i wish i really know how to work on motors. I can do all teh research but when it comes downt to messing with the mechanics I can't hang. This would really make for a create project car to document. I live an apt. and dont have a garage to work on the car. I have no where to house the parts while trying to build us this project car.
Old 08-31-2006
Boost is so good make you wanna slap ya mamma

red_sun is on a distinguished road
Well if your not going to do the work yourself I would not do the hydrid swap (K24+k20a2 head) cause a shop will already charge you an arm and leg to do the engine swap and they will charge you even more to do the head swap.

Have you thought about a k20a2 with jackson racing or
Comptech supercharger kit? If you get an authorized dealer to install it you get warrenty and some of the kits are carb legal.
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

Nope never really heard of that. Yeah big dreams with the k24 swap but DIY seems impossible for me. Looks like the K20a2 would be the way to go with less complications. Just a direct swap with RSX type S components. Though the JDM spec K20a is nice with the LSD. If I with the swap with the K20 would I use the RSX type s ECU or use the Hondata on top of my current ECU? Anyone care to help plan and knowledable on K20 swaps. I'm damn well sold on this now.
Old 08-31-2006
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
http://www.xproductionz.com/k20swap/k20swap.html

As for the ECU, you'd need the Type S ECU. You can have Hondata reflash it for you. Depending on your mods, you can pick what reflash you want. www.hondata.com
Old 08-31-2006
Show and Go. N/A is BEST.

TeamSF_em2 will become famous soon enoughTeamSF_em2 will become famous soon enough
save yourself the money and forget the hondata, find a k-swap dealer that uses donor cars and supply the original ecu and ignition key. there out there just gotta do a good amount of searching.
Old 09-01-2006
Registered!!

Ghost thanks for the link for the K20 swap. That swap seems workable if I have a mechanically inclined person or two helping me out. Going all motor will be pricey but the reliablity is there compared to a boasted ride. I'm sold on a motor swap. It's going to take some time to work on the car. If I want to go boasted I know i could have it done in weekend. Anyone have a boasted EM2 or K swap they wouldnt't mind me test driving?