Modified exhaust is illegal

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
etrnlderek is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Modified exhaust is illegal

Ok last saturday i was dropping off a car afterprom and picked up my car. Right as i was about to hop onto the freeway i get pulled over by 2 cop cars thinking i was getting pulled over for tint or something. Then i see news cameras and what not start filming. Well they come up to me and say they got me for my exhaust being modified and he also said it was to loud! I was going 30 mph in 4th gear! You cant even hear it. Its a thermal cat back and compared to alot of exhausts its pretty quiet. Well anyhow he asked me to step out and talk to him. As he writes me the ticket the damn news lady comes up to me with the camera in my face asking me if i knew why i got pulled over and why i was at the street races. I was explaining to them i was just dropping a car off after prom. While i was standing there in my tux. I kept saying i was just t trying to get home. So after i got the ticket they then filmed me drive away from them. Soooo annoying! They only pulled me over cus of the cameras...........So i thought.Untill this morning on the way to work i get pulled over by the damn CHP for the same damn thing! First this *** comes tail gaiting me then he blares his sirens and what not. I try to pull over as hes yelling instructions to get off the freeway. Well he pulls me over and says the same ish. Only this time he asks me to pop my hood. Arrghh. I only have a damn Injen SRI without the CARB legal sticker. He then proceeds to lecture me about not having the sticker and what not telling me its a huge fine blaa blaa. So since i still had my ticket from last time i showed him that so he wouldnt give me the same damn ticket and he let me go! Why cant i have modified exhaust like the rest of damn domestic cars and trucks! They dont need to pick on a import. We use less gas and dont put nearly as much emissions as thoses domestics! Damn *******
Old 05-22-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
I believe they have to conduct a test.

It cannot be louder than X dB @ 50ft during full throttle.

The Thermal R&D is pretty quiet. I am so sure that it would not be considered illegal after testing...
Old 05-22-2003
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
damn sorry to hear that... ya i think its illegal. they pulled over my friend in a tahoe for his. he didnt get ticketed tho, they let him go...
is it still a fix-it ticket? it should be right, thats why i got an axle back could bolt it on/off at times like this. but ya sorry to hear about that. stoopid how cops have time to pull over people for modified exhaust and yet they take 45mins to get to the scene of an accident.
Old 05-22-2003
ak
Retired Mod

Thermal R&D CARB approved?
Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

Well ill find out soon,but in the mean time i have to get the carb sticker from injen and hope it comes in time for my testing. Anyone understand this exhaust law
Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

No the Injen SRI CARB approved sticker.
Old 05-22-2003
ak
Retired Mod

2) clearly emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, or
Thermal R&D sounds so quiet and sweet..those cops definetely have bad taste!

Q2 Aren't all exhaust system modifications prohibited?

No. Section 27151 VC prohibits the modification of the exhaust system to amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle, making the vehicle not in compliance with Section 27150 VC or exceeding the noise limits established in Sections 27201-27206 VC. Section 27151 VC does not prohibit all modifications to an exhaust system. It also does not prohibit all modifications that increase the noise level of the exhaust system over that of the original, factory-installed exhaust system (as it did until 1980). It only prohibits modifications that result in a noise level higher than those specified in Sections 27201-27206 VC. Accurately determining compliance with Sections 27201-27206 VC for enforcement purposes is generally impractical. Enforcement personnel must make an informed professional evaluation to detem-iine if excessive noise statutes are being violated.
That's the x dB level that i'm talking about.

Section 27200 VC prohibits the sale of new motor vehicles that exceed the noise limits specified in these Sections. The specified noise limits (80 dB(A) (decibels) for all new cars, pickup trucks, vans and motorcycles apply only to new motor vehicles, under full throttle acceleration tests, measured 50 feet from the test vehicle, as specified in Sections 1040-1044, 1046 and 1047, Title 13, California Code of Regulations (13 CCR). These noise levels and the specified test methods apply to manufacturers and new car dealers only, for new vehicle certification purposes, and may not be used for enforcement purposes against vehicles being operated on public roadways. The CHP is not aware of any significant violation of Section 27200 VC by vehicle manufacturers or dealers.
Bingo! 80db @ 50ft under Full Throttle

Go get it tested...I am 100% sure that Thermal R&D is noise legal.
Old 05-22-2003
ak
Retired Mod

oh btw, GREAT LINK. Book marking it when i get home..
Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

I just called thermal and they said the test is done form 18 inches from the exhuast tip and must not exceed 95 decibles?? whos right???
Old 05-22-2003
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
alex.. "Section 27200 VC prohibits the [b]sale[/a] of new motor vehicles that exceed the noise limits specified in these Sections"
Old 05-22-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
accually if go down it says

"They specify testing procedures for motor vehicle exhaust noise alone (as opposed to total vehicle noise). This procedure specifies a limit of 95 dB(A) measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe outlet with the engine operating in neutral, typically at a speed of 3000-5000 rpm. (For comparison, a modem rotary lawn mower with a 5-horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine typically emits approximately 93 dB(A) at the same distance at full speed under no load.) It applies only to passenger vehicles. It does not apply to motorcycles or to vehicles over 6000 pounds gross weight."
Old 05-22-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
go to a CHP and ask them for the 2003 version of the book and show them how the test is suppost to be made, but the thing is that in 1979 they discontinured this and there are no qualified people to do this test and are not certified...

even if you have paperwork for exhaust such as DC sports, that is the only way other than buying a dB meter and recording camera to record the exaust noise if you take it to court and show the judge that you followed all the procedures and that your car isn't above the level.

If you read on

Q10 Can this test be used in enforcement?

Not readily. Although much simpler than the test methods specified in Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC, this test method still requires some technical expertise and a means to determine both the speed (rpm) of the engine under test (tachometer) and the rpm at which maximum horsepower of the engine is developed (information which may not always be readily available), as well as a sound level meter. It is not intended for roadside noise testing. The CHP does not currently provide either the instrumentation or training necessary to conduct exhaust noise testing. This test is useful, however, for determining if an aftermarket or performance exhaust system complies with VC requirements. It should be noted that the 95 dB(A) level, because it is intended as a simple "go-no-go" type of test, may permit exhaust noise somewhat higher dm those permitted under Sections 27201-27206 VC. An exhaust system that complies with the requirements of Section 1036(d)(1), 13 CCR, is deemed to comply with Sections 27150 and 27151VC.

Q11 What happened to the Muffler Certification and the Licensed Muffler Certification Station Programs?

Funding for both programs was terminated in 1979. There are currently no Official Muffler Certification Stations, no listing of certified mufflers and no formal mechanism in place to conduct objective vehicle or exhaust noise testing.

Q12 Can local authorities enact or enforce more strict ordinances regarding vehicle noise?

No. Section 21 VC makes the VC applicable and uniform throughout the state, and prohibits local authorities from enacting or enforcing any ordinance on the matters covered by the VC unless expressly authorized to do so. In-use vehicle noise is addressed in Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC. There is no provision in the VC that permits local authorities to adopt additional noise limitations. Consequently, citations issued under such ordinances are invalid.

Q13 Some aftermarket exhaust systems include documentation that the system has been tested and found to meet the requirements of section 1036(d)(1), 13 CCR. Are those legal?

Tle CHP does not have the resources to independently verify manufacturer's claims, but is aware that some aftermarket exhaust systems do meet the noise levels specified in Section 1036(d)(1), 13 CCR. An officer may consider such documentation in evaluating an exhaust system for excessive noise, both during the issuance of a citation and when clearing a citation pursuant to Section 40610(b) VC.
Old 05-22-2003
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
you can only get a ticket for your exhaust if it's too loud... it it says above... 80db @ 50ft... unless they have some kind of device that specifically said your exhaust was 80 db from 50 ft away, they have nothing in court... have thermal put something in writing for you and fight the ticket.... i think it's one of those more expensive fixit tickets... oh well... good luck..
Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

I called thermal and they are sending me paperwork
Old 05-22-2003
Better Then God

dirtEsanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
I would find a friend with a video camera and put the car in neutral and slam the gas until the rev limiter kicks in, then do it again while showing the tach all the while having the db meter in front of the camera.
Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

HRocket2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think i saw a quick clip of your car on the channel 4 news at 11 the other night.. i saw a black 7thgen.. could it have been you? it was a story about street racing!
Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

Ya it was the channel 4 news on sunday. My car was in it but not me personaly thanks god.
Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

HRocket2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
ha ha!! see i knew it was probally a fellow 7thgen member!! ha ha just so happend it was you!!
Old 05-22-2003
ak
Retired Mod

Well worse comes worse, you can go get it tested at the CHP testing station.
Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

xSMILESx is an unknown quantity at this point
My bf has had tickets for both intake and exhaust. For the Intake the only way you can clear that ticket is through the state referee cuz it’s a “non fixable” ticket, the cop should have told you that and wrote the number for the state referee on the back of the ticket. Before you go to the state referee just make sure you have the carb sticker on the intake and its for your exact car model & year they don’t care if it’s the same engine as 2001, the product has to be specifically made for your car, you also have to pay like $30.00 for the smog run and $8.00 for the certification if you fail though they retake it for free. The dbA for the exhaust can't be more than 95, and most exhausts with the silencer on are not over 95. I was told by APEX (my bf has a N1 Turbo Muffler on his Galant) that when a smog is done they have to check the dbA, so I called a smog shop to ask them how much to just run the exhaust and they asked me if the cop had a meter when he gave me the ticket. He said technically that’s an unlawful ticket cuz he has no actual idea what the dbA reading is. He said go to your local CHP and ask them to test your exhaust and if they don’t have the machine ask the officer to write a note saying that and take it to court. So I called CHP on Wed and after talking to 10 people I go an officer on the phone and told him that we had already been to the state in feb for the intake and we had the exhaust on when we went and we passed smog and nothing was mentioned about the exhaust. He said just take in my referee papers to court with me and that should take care of everything. If you end up going to the state referee ask them to put on your documents they type of exhaust you have I wish we had done that my boy has to go to court by 6/6 so I’ll let you know what happens. Oh yea you can get ur court date pushed back by 6 weeks, u call close to the court date and ask for an extension and they give u 30 days then when that new date is close you call again and say you are just waiting for some paperwork that should come any day now then they will give you another two weeks. his original date was 4/23

here is the most recent dmv vc 27151 code it was modified in Jan 2002vc 27151
Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

Thanks for all the useful information. Now i feel like i can go in and say here shove this up your a**. I think ill just keep my mouth shut and take in what ever papers i can.
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

Em2Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a ticket for exhuast too. but the funny thing is that ive never had one and still dont for that damn reason. The car next to me had an exhuast and the cop pulled me over. i showed him that i had a stock exhuast and told him it was the other car but he still gave me a F*^*&^*% ticket
Old 05-24-2003
Premium Member

bluelight is an unknown quantity at this point
what the hell, what was the ticket for?
Old 05-24-2003
ak
Retired Mod

Originally posted by Em2Guy
I got a ticket for exhuast too. but the funny thing is that ive never had one and still dont for that damn reason. The car next to me had an exhuast and the cop pulled me over. i showed him that i had a stock exhuast and told him it was the other car but he still gave me a F*^*&^*% ticket
that cop was an idiot