is reflective tint legal in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mastercave is an unknown quantity at this point
is reflective tint legal in CA?

Hey fellow west-coasters, I'm trying to get a reflective/mirror tint for my coupe, but I'm not sure what is legal. Can I get the 4" windshield stripe, the back windshield, and the 2 triangular back windows with mirror tint and not be hassled by police? And if anyone has gotten it, what is the price for this kind of job usually?
Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

HShadow is an unknown quantity at this point
Can not be reflective. Big no no.
Old 05-30-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
ya it's illegal, have seen a couple of cars here with it tho. just as long as it isn't like a 2 way mirror and is light i dont think you'll have a big problem with it. might be kind of hard to find a shop that will do it, especially with any type of warranty.
Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

EvilTwin is an unknown quantity at this point
The windshield stripe is illegal since you can't have any tint on the front windshield. The other two places are legal. The only other illegal place for tinting is the front driver/passenger windows. Anything behind that is legal. P.S. I should know as I have the front windows tinted with reflective tint and just recently got a ticket for them.
Old 05-30-2002
The Standard One

ya the driver/passenger cant be tinted at all. but IMO it looks ugly so i got it anyways... not as dark as the back but dark enough to match...(5% back 20% front).

n the windshield, yes you can have a strip... i think 4" from the top is as low as it could go tho...

but ya this is for any kind of tint. i would think you cant even get it in 20% with mirror tint in the rear. i plan on putting a very very light mirror tint on my windsheild tho so that it'll be slightly more reflective
Old 06-02-2002
Registered!!

deathor is an unknown quantity at this point
Reflective tint is not illegal. Not to diss on you guys that say it is, but I am saying that you're wrong in saying that it's illegal. Stuff that comes stock on cars is definitely not illegal, and I know for a fact that there is a car w/reflective legal tint.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

HShadow is an unknown quantity at this point
What car would that be? With the tint being reflictive, when the sun shines on the window, it blinds other drivers in other cars. Also is tends to be much harder to see into the car making it more dangerous for those police officers who pulled the car over. I am not saying your wrong about the car comming stock with that tin but am wondring what car would pass that law.
Old 06-04-2002
The Standard One

i know the rx300 on the lexus suv is legal but to have your car tinted the same like that would be considered illegal since it wasnt from the factory. same as beamers come with the front windows tinted. if you were to tint the front yourself again, that would be illegal since its not from factory. but like i said, MOST cops will not harrass you for a tint job unless if you have the front windsheild limo tinted. 99% of the time people get caught with illegal tint is when they are pulled over for other violations such as speeding and the cop sees the tint. even then its just a fix it ticket.
Old 06-04-2002
The Standard One

US tint law
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

BlackSI is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitely illegal but some people get away with it so if you wanna risk it,go for it
Old 06-06-2002
spoiledsteph

shops will do whatever you want them to do, cuz its your money, and your problems when you get pulled over. i know that mirror tint is legal here in cali cuz i know people that have it. the cops really only harrass ya if your car is really loud and obnoxious or if you are driving like an a**. i like the way that the mirror tint fades into the black tint...that looks tight. just my .02...
Old 06-07-2002
Registered!!

EvilTwin is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]mirror tint is legal here in cali [hr]
I don't think we are all on the same page. When he means mirror tint he is referring to silver metallic tint which is NOT legal on the front windows. Anyone who says it is better research the topic cause the installers told me and both my brother and I have gotten tickets for our tinting.
Old 06-07-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I know if I went to California I would get nailed for tint thats for sure, but yeah I know that the RX300 has the mirror like tint on it and I have seen a few cars with the front windows with mirror but yeah that would be a ticket that is waiting to happen. Back 3 you could probably get away with. But as the window strip I have never seen mirror but as a normal like Limo tint across the top I believe you could get away with.

Nick
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

mastercave is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry if there's any confusions, but I'm referring to a mirror tint on the 2 back windows, the rear windshield, and a 4" strip on the front. Is there maybe some kind of level of tint (%) that is legal for it?
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

ALLcustom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i live in FL, but if you want to see the mirror tint with the strip in the front, i will post pics as soon as i am a member...
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

KazzuM is an unknown quantity at this point
what ive heard id "legal" (you can get away with) is 35% in the front 2 windows, 4" strip of any color except bright mirror like silver on the front windshield. i have solid black 0% and im legal. on the rear passenger windows or triangles for those of you with coupes any % will go and any % on the rear windshield. im going to get 35% on the front windows and either 15% or 10% the rest. ive seen like 10-15 cars with BLACK windows cruising Huntington on main street and thats cop city.
Old 06-12-2002
spoiledsteph

i got 5% rear 3 windows and 20% up front. i haven't gotten pulled over yet....about the mirror tint...i saw a mustang with it on the front windows...might be illegal, but if you aren't driving like a punk then its ok...the cops are cool about it....at least here in oceanside cali....
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

TeamOutrage is an unknown quantity at this point
ANY tint on the front windows is illegal. no matter what shade it is. cops will give you a ticket for it if they feel like being a *****. otherwise its pretty pointless for them to pull EVERY SINGLE car over for tint. just because it is illegal doesnt mean a shop wont do it. they are suppose to inform you of it being illegal but they feel they will lose the sale from doing so. i have cop friends and this is what they have told me. i also got pulled over when i was up in n. cali for speeding but he gave me a ticket for my window tint instead. this was on my old car too and i had a light light shade. and just so you know.....widnow tinting tickets are no longer fix-it tickets....they are straight tickets now. so just dont look suspicious or do anything stupid and you should be fine. and cops in HB are major dicks....make sure you roll those windows down when you go buy.