I got tickets last night...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003
Just Be

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MangoEX should not be trusted
Angry I got tickets last night...

Last night, I was going down Reseda blvd with 3 other cars/friends, minding my own business, we're crusing around 40-45 MPH, when all of a sudden an LAPD cruiser gets behind me and turns on his lights. I'm thinking... okaaaaaaaaaaaaay I didn't do anything wrong, i didn't give my car excess gas to make my exhaust loud, so I pull over...

Him: Shut the car off!

Me: Okay.

Him: For one thing, I don't like your grossly modified exhaust.

Me: I usually have a silencer attached to it, but I just came back from a car show today.

Him: Do you got anything under the hood?

Me: Just an intake.

Him: Pop the hood.

(He then continues to put his grubby fingers all over my engine bay and takes pictures of the whole car)

Him: I see you have a cold air Intake (its a short ram... geez)

Me: Yeah

He goes back to his car and writes me the tickets...

Him: First off, I don't like your attrocious behavior, you were going 55 MPH (Which I wasn't at all) and I wish your little group of friends would of stopped and I would of gave them all tickets
Also, your cold air intake is an emissions violations,a nd you will have to see a referee (dunno wtf that is) to correct this violation, and third i'm giving you a ticket for your grossly modified exhaust, and fourth, for having no front license plate.

I have to say that your cooperation and attitude has been excellent. (Then asks me to sign the tickets)

Do you guys know what exactly I do with this Intake -- referee thing... do I put back to stock and take it, or do I leave the intake on and take it... And emissions violation? How does having a short ram intake effect emissions at all? What happens to the air after its combusted by the engine is what matters when it comes to emissions.

This is my third point, though, I will fight this in court w/ my witnesses.

I have been scared to drive fast or do anything on the street that would get me in trouble with cops, I would never go above 40-45 on a surface street. NEVER... but 55? C'mon! I wasn't on radar either.
Old 08-31-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
in houston everytime i get pulled over cops never even say one word to me!!! they just write a ticket and bam your on your way!!! hahaha the dun be like i dun like your grossly modified exhaust and "oh i see you got a CAI" but i guess "street racing " isn't as bad down here as it is in Cali even though they did have a 400 car bust a couple months back and every one went to jail but that was all a mistake anyways!!! But damm that's alotta tickets in one night!!!
Old 08-31-2003
. . . The Master Debater . . .

amhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura about
with ur intake, just replace it with another one with a carb sticker or just put back ur stock box and take it to the ref. they check and see if u have corrected the "violation" and they write you off and u're free to go.
Old 08-31-2003
--< GripSpeed Member >--

iceman is an unknown quantity at this point
if u have a carb sticker for ur intake then u should be fine...for ur exhaust..if u know for sure its under 95db (i believe thas the limit...correct me if im wrong) then u should be fine
Old 08-31-2003
Just Be

Iceman, you sure about that??? They will dismiss my exhaust violation if Its under 95 db?? Cause if thats the case, I should be fine
Old 08-31-2003
Initial D!!!!

nightkids1 is an unknown quantity at this point
damn you guys need to know some cops. i know 4 so im always cool.
Old 08-31-2003
Just Be

what do they do for you since they know you???
Old 08-31-2003
Just Be

Should i leave on my muffler, and weld on my OEM honda resonator or shouldi just put the whole muffler back to stock? 95 db?
Old 08-31-2003
b y r o n : t i b u r o n

b y r o n is an unknown quantity at this point
i thought intakes were legal? it's not harming anyone
Old 08-31-2003
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
there's a site that has all the vehicle codes. i have it on my comp at work. i know AK knows it.
exhaust has to pass emmisions and sound. not sure about intake.

your guy was an ***. i got pulled over a few days ago. he was like "everything is nice except you dont have a front plate".
wrote that i was doing 40 in a 35 but didnt ticket me for it.
Old 08-31-2003
Just Be

all a muffler does is speed up or slow down the air exiting the exhaust piping.. i dont see how it could possibly effect emissions... doh
Old 08-31-2003
Registered!!

greatcasa is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by MangoEX
Should i leave on my muffler, and weld on my OEM honda resonator or shouldi just put the whole muffler back to stock? 95 db?
Are you running without a reso right now, or have an aftermarket one? Even if you have a silencer on your muffler, running without a reso, I can almost guarantee that you won't pass the decible reading limit. Plus I'm pretty sure, especially there in Cali (that's where I'm from originally), that you have to have a resonator regardless of sound. It's part of the whole exhaust emissions process, and therefore believe it needs to be on there for legality purposes: But don't quote me on that.
Old 08-31-2003
Just Be

Right now i have on muffler with no resonator. my oem one is sitting in my closet
Old 08-31-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
no radar, no ticket
Old 08-31-2003
Just Be

... what do you mean? ^
Old 08-31-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
typically it's the case that if they didn't catch u on radar doing 55 (especially if you have a witness) ... means u get off

as far as I know anyway ...
Old 08-31-2003
Just Be

Do you know anyone with this experience or is it just something you heard? I really hope this is true.
Old 08-31-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
Black and White= Ghey lords

I got a ticket for exhaust...they extended the court date or whatevers. What was ghey was that he pulled me over in the first place to tell me that I cant have any type of modified exhaust since 2k1, and when he leaves he tells me to just slap on a silencer. WTF? So can I or cant I have an exhaust? So yea...still on my car. Think it's like a 100 something for the refferee to check it correct? I dunno...anyone with experience, can you explain the process plz?

Last edited by 7thGenerasianCivic; 08-31-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

well ... it's logic, really ...

the cop has no proof whatsoever that you were speeding and you have a witness ... you're probably off the hook with that
Old 08-31-2003
No Title

maxsin is an unknown quantity at this point
Eversince those stupid Fast and Ghey movies came out, every child out there with mommies honda screws up any fun. I had a simular case but it was CHP, bogus tickets. In any case i lost in the court due to lack of proof. Do yourself a favor and take pictures. If you want to go to court dont bother arguing the professionalism of the officer, judges dont like that. Just state facts.
oh, i once got out of a 107mph ticket on the 14fwy because the officer didnt show up, miracles do happen. good luck.
Old 09-01-2003
Just Be

Wow. Sigh of relief.. good tips man,t hanks.. i hope the bacon strip doesnt show up
Old 09-01-2003
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
ok....I posted this link in the cali forum but it's as if nobody ever reads that; they just go directly to the socal or norcal forums.
Here it is http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

Near the bottom it says
Illegal:
-Excessively noisy exhaust systems and mufflers (27150, 27151 VC). Many aftermarket exhaust systems and parts are illegal. Look for parts that meet California law. If it doesn't say it meets the law, it probably doesn't.

-Exhaust systems which meet smog requirements but are still too loud. Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) Excessively noisy exhaust systems and mufflers (27150, 27151 VC). Many aftermarket exhaust systems and parts are illegal. Look for parts that meet California law. If it doesn't say it meets the law, it probably doesn't.

Exhaust systems which meet smog requirements but are still too loud. Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.
Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.
^That's just rediculous.

And around the middle, it talks about intakes and how they must be C.A.R.B. exempt.

What's funny is that list pretty much describes a show car...
Old 09-01-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enoughCivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enough
Remember - FTBC (failure to be cool) is not a crime!
Well I feel better...
Old 09-02-2003
--< GripSpeed Member >--

iceman is an unknown quantity at this point
well u can do wut my friend does all the time...keep on delayin the court date...(re-schedule the court day 3-4 times) and finally show up and pray to god the officer didnt show up
Old 09-02-2003
Registered!!

Erichyung is an unknown quantity at this point
what a **** cop...
Old 09-02-2003

GreenNVicious can only hope to improve
the stupid pig needs to carry a meter to measure your gross exhaust. anyway, Cali cops are gay, gay, GAY! I'm tired of being harassed. Good luck to you man, dont pay it, if your SRI is legal, just get the CARB sticker and you're fine.
Old 09-02-2003
Registered!!

FURY is an unknown quantity at this point
seriously, i ****ing hate cops.
Old 09-02-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
dude get a lawyer, it will be worth it, do it asap, it will be betttter because by paying him his 100 bucks or what ever will get you off of all that stuff and not get you any points and will be cheaper, and yea, cops do suck *** hole
Old 09-02-2003
Registered!!

tdog is an unknown quantity at this point
"Iam Gay"!! say's an officer

Good luck with getting it all taken care of.. Get your C.A.R.B sticker for your intake, and for your exhaust I would recommend putting the silencer and rez back on, if possible.
Old 09-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
well sorry it took so long to find your post mangoEX.

It sounds like you got an A S S H O L E officer IMO. As far as your exhaust. He is supposed to have a decible meter in his cruiser before he cites you for that offense and i think it is 92db in cali.

What kind of intake do you have??? If its an injen then it might not yet be Carb aprroved. You front license plate is a gimme just like VnlilMan stated in his encounter with officers. What you need to do is go get your exhaust decibles measured and find a carb sticker for your intake then you take those slips to court showing they arent exceeding the limits of emissions etc. and get the tickets dismissed EXCEPT for the front license plate.

I hope that helps if you need anything else just pm me or email and i will be glad to help you as much as i can.

Oh ya L.A. officers think they are the best and i would complain on him for insulting your exhaust in that manner. You need to contact their Internal Affairs Unit and file a complaint because i am sure they have in car cameras with microphones and if he doesnt have that equipment on during the stop then he will get in trouble.

Injen

Quick Reply: I got tickets last night...