need opinions for tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asian is an unknown quantity at this point
need opinions for tint

I was thinking of getting my windows tinted but I have no experience with how different percentages of tint look. So... I was wondering if you can give me your opinion on what I should do. I know it's personal preference but some ideas would be nice. In Florida the law is 28 front and 15 rear. So I was thinking of either doing 30 all around or 30 front and 20 rear. What do you think? The shop that I think that I'm going to go to quoted me $159 for the job and I think they use Llumar tint. Is Llumar any good? Thanks.

Last edited by asian; 07-29-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2005
Banned

Ramones is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes Llumar tint is good. They have a lifetime warranty against bubbling and turning purple.

If you decide to go with all windows tinted then get the same shade all around. And please don't go ghetto 5% limo tint.
Old 07-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Ramones
Yes Llumar tint is good. They have a lifetime warranty against bubbling and turning purple.

If you decide to go with all windows tinted then get the same shade all around. And please don't go ghetto 5% limo tint.
I'm the type that "try" to abide by the law and I would hate to get pulled over for illegal tint limit and have to pay money to get it redone so most likely if I do the same shade then it would be 30%. Cany anyone that have 30% tint post a pic? I want to see how it looks.
Old 07-29-2005
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
isnt legal 35%?..,.i know in nj thats what it is...but i did 15% in back 3 windows
Old 07-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tuner04civic
isnt legal 35%?..,.i know in nj thats what it is...but i did 15% in back 3 windows
legal in Florida is 28% front and 15% rear.
Old 07-29-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
if you want to stay legal just do 30 all around. if you want something darker do like 25 all around and no cop is gonna know 3 percent difference. if you don't care get 20 and be happy
Old 07-29-2005
Registered!!

jb1004 will become famous soon enoughjb1004 will become famous soon enough
I've got a sedan with 35% on the front two and everything else 20%. I'm very pleased.
Old 07-30-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
this may help you

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=221407
Old 07-30-2005
Registered!!

White05EXSE is an unknown quantity at this point
legal is 35, mine is 20... don't get hassled in east tn. a few under won't make a diff.
Old 07-30-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
you could get away with 15% no prob, only really have trouble with 5-10%, so get 20%, and you will not have to worry. Just make sure you have front license plate, if that is illegal in florida. Tint is on the bottom of cops lists, unless you have something like limo tint you wil prob be fine.
5%-ghetto, yeah right when i get my sti it will have have 5% on top of 5%!!!!
Old 07-30-2005
Registered!!

Bires is an unknown quantity at this point
What colors are your interior cloth and exterior paint?

With a lighter interior, use a darker tint (10-20%)

With a lighter exterior, use a lighter tint (20-30%)

Also, if you want to protect your stereo a little better, get a darker tint.

BTW:
I have a mist/pearl exterior and dark slate (grey) interior and went with 30%. It looks great without looks suspiscious. From the outside, you can just makeout my HU's model. If I were to do it again, I think I would get 25%.
Old 07-30-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
get the same shade all around, and 35% is pretty good without being too dark that you can't see at night.
Old 07-31-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
30% all around in a sedan...

daytime: its like a shade, you can see what is going on inside the car still. not the greatest for daytime mostly when its hot and sun is in your face. but then, its better than nothing. pick you nose, ppl will laugh

night: 30% is perfect for night imo. its not wankster dark, but dark enough to the point where you can barely know whose inside. pick your nose, ppl will laugh but wont know who it is.

and i agree w/ going same percent all around. it looks off when ppl do real dark in rear and light up front (like me )
Old 08-01-2005
Registered!!

pr0vidence is an unknown quantity at this point
I got 35% all the way around. But if you are gonna do it take the rear deck out first so they can get the bit behind the third brake light! I didn't take mine out so they cut that bit out and it looks like ***. The worst part is they don't wanna peel the tint off the re-do it because they are afriad of cutting the defrosters when they scrape the adhesive off with a razor blade
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pr0vidence
I got 35% all the way around. But if you are gonna do it take the rear deck out first so they can get the bit behind the third brake light! I didn't take mine out so they cut that bit out and it looks like ***. The worst part is they don't wanna peel the tint off the re-do it because they are afriad of cutting the defrosters when they scrape the adhesive off with a razor blade
I just went to ask about tinting the area around the third brake light and the guy said he can do it but in a few years when the tint fails and I bring it back to get retinted he isn't going to take the deck out. So I was thinking for convenience sake I might as well get the cut out.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

Well then you are probably going to the wrong place. Tint shouldn't fail, once it's on it should pretty much be on for the life of the car, IF it is done right and they use quality tint. I would ask some other shops if I were you.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pr0vidence
Well then you are probably going to the wrong place. Tint shouldn't fail, once it's on it should pretty much be on for the life of the car, IF it is done right and they use quality tint. I would ask some other shops if I were you.
They use Llumar and it has a lifetime warranty on the tint for not bubbling or fading so he was saying "if" the tint starts doing that then I can go back for the warranty but he won't take off the deck and take out the tint there.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Well you can always take off the rear deck yourself if that should ever happen. It only takes about 20 minutes or so, it seems like more of a pain than it actually is. Personally, I would think it's worth it to get that bit done with the rest. I really wish I did that myself
Old 09-16-2005
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
Good window tinting does not fade or anything like that, you are getting cheap crap that is dyed, so yea when you go in again, ask them if it is dyed, if so say thanks and look elsewhere!! i have 5% on all windows except the front windshield and i am very pleased with it!!! as for the back break light, if they can not cut it out then do it that way...mine is cut out and the sun at high noon shines right in and glares!!!
Old 09-19-2005
ry
darkness
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of light
i have 5% all around for a few months, no hassles
Old 09-20-2005
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
the dealer did mine at 35% all around and some janky tint. i had the shop i work at redid the tint with 5% all around and 20% rear window(i know i know) it's dark enough during the day to not allow people to see me, but i must roll down my windows at night to drive. i have not gotten a ticket for either cars with 5%, i've actually been pulled over 3 times with the mr2, none of them the officer ticketed me with a loud exhaust(loudest among everyone i know) or the window tint(5% all around on the mr2) the 2 really needed it, because everyone here drives trucks and suv and all thier driving lights blind me if i have my windows down. and it definitly saved my interior from the florida heat. both cars have 5% metallic tint that will not discolor or fade