Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jays2002ex is an unknown quantity at this point
which ones?

I'm going to the strip today and i was wondering if i should run with my 215/35/R18's or my stock tires and rims? I know I get way better traction with the aftermarket tires, but the rims are heavy. The stocks spin to easy! so what should i do
Old 06-17-2003
Banned by Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
stock
Old 06-17-2003
Registered!!

doublins is an unknown quantity at this point
Run with your stocks, DEFINITELY. Keep your rears inflated high, to like 45psi or so, and drop your fronts to as low as you can safely go- make sure they are at the same pressure though so you don't get wheelhop. I'd say start with 23psi or so and do some trial and error to see how it feels.

When you stage, drive AROUND the waterbox- do not do a water burnout- when you then pull up to the staging lights, simply give your tires a quick spin to get off any loose gravel- street tires shouldn't be heated up too much, or they loose traction- ambient temperature, or even a LITTLE above, maybe 90F should be cool.

To avoid wheelspin don't drop the clutch at like 6000rpm- that won't help you that much- launch at around 4500 and feather the clutch- Don't just immediately floor it- you have to modulate the throttle a little to control too much wheel spin. A little is ok, but you don't want to spin all the way through first- you will have a shitty 60' and a poor 1/4 time.

It all is a matter of practice, but I will tell you this, losing the rotational mass of the heavy rims will net you a lot more time then the added traction of the 215s on the launch.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

-Chris