Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

Zetec focus fun

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003
I Am Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CGodwin3103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Zetec focus fun

Well, I decided to go home around 12 or 12:30 last saturday, didn't want to race, and didn't really wanna run the streets (my girl has been a little more colorful about my car lately).
Well, so I was on the forum for a few hours... and right before I was gonna go to bed I decide, well I'm not ready just yet, it's only 3:30, lets go out.

So I'm cruising the streets, just driving, it's now about 4:30 a.m... I'm seeing whats out there, which aparently wasn't much aside from the mastif beams of light that the darkness of 4 a.m. provides when I notice something in passenger side mirror, its a focus, oh well, so I don't think much of it and continue along, next thing I know he pulls up on me..

It's a white, moderatly dirty focus, very average looking with a 50 dollar or so muffler.
He revs at me, and at first I ignore him, and decide to continue along with my cruise.
Well, after about a mile of hearing his engine and seeing his excesive taunting we hit a light... (having just come back from the area I saw a cop chilling in the mall parking lot, just waiting for someone to give into a run), I decide not to run it.

The light greens, and he peels out, it seems at this point I think he is getting a bit testy.. I look and see no cop at his previous position, so I decide, well I'll see what this focus has going for him..

So I look over at him and he is still giving me a stare and a good rev.. sounds ok, I'm expecting a decent run from him, it's a focus, I dont know what type at this point, maybe Ill be stupidly raped by an svt, oh well.

I exchange a glance, and rev my powerhouse d17, showing him the sound of an engine bred for high performance... And he responds, seemingly lovingly excepting the challenge he's been awaiting.

We are at around 50 mph... He rev, and looks over, I rev, hold, and he responds, so I drop the pedal and lay out a decent start, about 60 I shift to 3rd gear, press on, now I'm at around 70 mph, I can hear his intake kicking like theres no tomorrow, I just smile as I realize what a shame it is that I hear it from about 1/2 of a car length behind me, 80 , then 90, I shut it down, look back, and he is about a length behind.. not to bad, must be a normal focus..

They decide to pull into a lot... blah blah blah, yada yada... "so" I said, "wanna get a clean run in?"

After his friend translates it in spanish to him (i would but soy aprendiendo at this point), I smile, kinda funny... I'm not out here to talk I think to myself.. lets run so I can see... "what kind of focus is this?", Zetec.. with an intake, and of course the almighty 50 dollar muffler with no piping..

They decide to run again.. Stand still, after he messes up the timing for the start twice, his friend beeps, and on 3 we go... I take him to my trunk right off the bat and shift a bit early, i guess maybe his 160 stock can catch up after the launch, so I toy with him... let off, press, let off press.. punch again.. shift to 3rd, he is and he is at least a full car behind.. up.. and up.. I hit 80 and he is 1 1/2, then touch 92 and he is 2 cars.. so at about 96 or 97 I shut it down.. (this is a half a second or so longer than a normal 1/4 mph speed).

2 7thgen dx coupe - 0 new Zetec focus hatch

I humor him with another 2 or 3 runs... and toy with him.. honestly I expected more.. I was sad.. but I was smiling.. he kept trying more, more.. finally after the second wave off, I droped it and gave a peace sign at about 50...

7th gen dx coupe 5 or 6 - Zetec focus hatch 0

I hit the interstate to head back home.. it's now 5 or 5:15 am.. Im at about 90, just cruisin. I see a 6th gen vic coupe.. green, nice, looks almost stock save for the exhaust and a clean set of conservative rims. I pull up, still thinking highly of myself after laying it down on a 160 hp stock car. I rev, so he receprocates, and we drop it, I'm undercompensating in the gears due to my prior victory, and he is pulling...100... he gets a few feet, 105 he has half a length.. 110 hes got a length, 120 he has a length and a half... we both shut down... "****!" I think to myself.. but lets run again, im far enough into fourth that I decide not to downshift .. again, even though we drop down to about 90.. "damn, he must be an si" I say to myself... we run again and he pulls again, a good length this time, but only to 105 or 110..

I back off, and I kick back... he gets over, I get over, he is about 4 cars ahead oh me.. he signals at my exit, i get over and exit.. 'hmm.. a start maybe? I get to the far lane to take my right, he moves to take the left.. and he bids me adiou by nearly hitting a van in the left lane, swerving over and turning left... I take my right, drive home.. and now I'm ready to sleep.

These non-svt focus' really sadden me, I expected much, much more...
However having a well modded ex, or an si serve me a nice portion of ownage, I was ready to settle in for the night with a 1-1 overall.

Last edited by CGodwin3103; 05-27-2003 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

derty is an unknown quantity at this point
if that civic was stock green it wasn't a si =] so it could of been dx, hx, lx, ex should of followed and asked. As the focus hatch yea those are pretty easy for us 7gen civics =] my friend has one and i kill him everytime the non svt focus that is.
Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

Jhonda has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The ztech focus does not have a 160hp they have 130 hp....just to let you know. But the svt has 170bhp. Good kill though
Old 05-27-2003
I Am Legend

Good, ok.. I was hoping... I didn't think I was that fast yet... I mean decent but, damn..

As far as the gren, it was hard to tell really, it may have been black, or a darker green, or even a blueish color.. but I'd swear it had a green tint at least to it (maybe what lights there were on the freeway)..

Thanks.. I might be able to get a stock svt once my ex exhuast conversion is done around the weekend of my b-day June 7th, which also happens to be h-towns HIN show!

I thought about following, but he didn't look like the most friendly guy.. I figured I just go on about my business..
Old 05-28-2003
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
That Focus is 130 HP, but it's also a 2.0 liter, and the HP is at 5300 RPM, so I'd say it was a pretty good race, especially with multiple runs.
Old 05-28-2003
I Am Legend

I would have thought so, maybe he couldn't shift, but I took him by at leasst 1 0 1.5 lengths on every "clean" 0-1/4 or so run.
Old 05-28-2003
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Superior driving wins out.
Old 05-29-2003
I Am Legend

lol, thanks.... haha
Old 05-29-2003
I Am Legend

I like to think I drive at least relatively well...
Once my ex exhuast conversion is done, I will head to a track to get some times up for you guys, and maybe give some hope to us dx's out there, and all us em's on a budget!