Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

looking to tune..but how much?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AdamMelcher1 is an unknown quantity at this point
looking to tune..but how much?!?!

Hey guys!!!

So I am new to the tuning scene and am wanting to tune my 99 civic DX rightly. Now everything is just stock with a short-ram intake, but I want to switch it for a cold air and new exhaust system. But I have a couple of questions...

For the CAI:

1.) I have seen some for as cheap as $69 and others for as much as $200+ and it looks like that each one is bent differently so that it would position in a different spot in my car. Which ones (brand) would fit directly in front of my bumper so I wouldn't have to cut a hole and which brand really is the best for a low-budget tuner???

For the Exhaust system:

1.) right now I don't have enough $ to switch out the headers so should i just wait and do the swap all at one time? I would like to keep a cat-converter on it just for emissions sake,and which Exhaust system sounds smooth and at the same time would give me some good gains in HP?? I hear that Magna-flows cat back is a good system...any opinions on that?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Old 01-19-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: looking to tune..but how much?!?!

the more expensive intakes tend to have better filters and fitment on the car. aem v2 is one of the best. and cold air intake usually isnt a good idea unless it never rains where you live. it could suck in water and ruin the engine.
Old 02-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boha is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: looking to tune..but how much?!?!

Please do keep the civic at factory setup and specifications. Do not race the civic son, it is not meant to offer any performance. My civic is a wonderful joy to me in getting groceries and taking me to my bingo sessions. It even beats my grandsons moped in a race when we line them up. Its plenty fast, in fact when I put the gas pedal to the maximum downward full position, the acceleration does not give me a queasy feeling as was the case when I floored the gas pedal of my old Geo Metro. The wonderful gentle civic is so wonderful and the gas mileage is superb. Do not race the wonderful civic,son. It is not a performance car and will provide you many miles for errands, groceries, and trips or bingo. Just about any other car is more suitable for performance, so please save the civic for kinder, gentler tasks and not racing.