Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

Raced a V6 Accord with atleast E

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bgoetz is an unknown quantity at this point
Raced a V6 Accord with atleast E

Well, I was on my way home today when I ended up behind a V6 accord at a light. It was around a 1999--2001 model he had atleast an exhaust from what I could tell then. Light turns he takes off so I follow suite. I slowly begin to pull from my one and half car disadvantage that I had in the begining. I switch lanes into the inside and pull all the way through second. By the time we hit third we are into a sweeping turn and I have the inside so I begin to pull more. Then I see a car turning left infront of me and I can not tell if they are in the center turn lane and there is no way I would have time to stop. Everything sort of slows down and I find my self looking for ways out (I actually thought about going around to the left of the car that was turning left and then relized that was a stupid thought ). Then I realize that they are in the turn lane and I am going to be ok. At that same instant I realize that I am dead even with the accord and I hear this god awful sound. I then realize that that sound is me banging off of the rev-limiter it third repeatedly. By this time we are out of the turn I then shift into fourth and procede to pull about a car before the next light. We stop and with a very suprised face he asks what I have in my car, but I am to shaken by the near miss, that and he has a turn arrow so I don't even get a word out.

So as I am sitting the light smelling by burning brakes, I am wondering what makes me do this stupid ****. Now I am sitting here wondering just how bad I fvcked my car up, I must have been on the rev-limiter for atleast 5-10 seconds. the cost of brakes and a engine to beat a V-6 accord
Old 09-09-2005
Banned

will banging off the rev-limiter like that hurt the car?? If so what parts??
Old 09-09-2005
Registered!!

thegent is an unknown quantity at this point
Not for five seconds, it won't. You're driving a honda, dude
Old 09-09-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Well just watch out with **** like that thats how people get hurt. I don't think it will hurt your car maybe in the long long run but other than that i think you are good to go. Watch out next time and if your gonna race in the streets race where you don't endanger innocent lives.
Old 09-09-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well you would have valve problems if you went past the rev limiter. Its to prevent people from ruining the engine.
Old 09-10-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
as gearbox said, valve problems. I hear ppl on another Honda forum talk about "valve floating" on D16 when boucning off the limiter too often and too much.... but zzyzx and a few others on here are in that situation often.
Old 09-10-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by Michalo187
Well just watch out with **** like that thats how people get hurt. I don't think it will hurt your car maybe in the long long run but other than that i think you are good to go. Watch out next time and if your gonna race in the streets race where you don't endanger innocent lives.
Yeah, It would have been bad had they not been in the turn lane (like they were supose to be). It was hard to tell if they were or not at 80 and coming around the corner. It was a bit scary for a second or two.
Old 09-10-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Floating valves don't really hurt the car unless the slugs hit them. Braking a vavle spring would be bad, but that takes time too. Honda engines are extremely squared motors, they can take a beating. If it make you feel better, I bounced my rev limiter the other day too, except my red line is at 8000 RPMs.

Nice kill anyway, although (not to steal your glory) that generation of Accord is known to be slow. Try a new V6, it's a little different story. Nice kill anyway, any time a 4 banger beats a V6 is a kill.
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
rev limiters are put there for a reason. you should be able to keep that thing bouncing off the rev limiter for a long time with out ruining your motor. the reason they limit the rpm's is to prevent damage so anyhting under the limited rpm should be safe on the motor. i hit my limiter every so often in both of my vehicles. as a matter of fact my 2.2l 4cyl s10 that is a much shyttier design i bounce off the rev limiter when at the track to heat up the tires. the truck only makes about 100whp stock and its moving a 3200lb truck. so i launch hard to keep the revs up and also keep it in 1st in the burn out box because it loses too much power in 2nd to keep the tires going unless im on the brakes. realistically you should be able to hold the rev limiter for minutes not just seconds before anything happens. youll be fine and so will the motor
Old 09-18-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
take it to honda and they'll check yur valves for ya. just gotta pay a little $$$.
Old 09-29-2005
Banned

I have a compression tester. If the compression was off then I could have a leak down done, but it has been running great.
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

ChronicReflux is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by familycar
rev limiters are put there for a reason. you should be able to keep that thing bouncing off the rev limiter for a long time with out ruining your motor. the reason they limit the rpm's is to prevent damage so anyhting under the limited rpm should be safe on the motor. i hit my limiter every so often in both of my vehicles. as a matter of fact my 2.2l 4cyl s10 that is a much shyttier design i bounce off the rev limiter when at the track to heat up the tires. the truck only makes about 100whp stock and its moving a 3200lb truck. so i launch hard to keep the revs up and also keep it in 1st in the burn out box because it loses too much power in 2nd to keep the tires going unless im on the brakes. realistically you should be able to hold the rev limiter for minutes not just seconds before anything happens. youll be fine and so will the motor
exactly right!!! i watched a nissan 300z peg his revs out for 16 minutes before the engine blew....a few seconds is fine im sure LOL...wish i still had the link for that video!!! it was crazy, if i find it i'll post it! nice kill btw!!!