Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

I got HIT!..so pissed, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obsidian is an unknown quantity at this point
I got HIT!..so pissed, need help

So last night I'm out to pick up my Uncle. He's elderly with diabetes so he can't see very well either. (Important Later) I pull up behind this Lincoln town car that's double parked. I yell to my Uncle but he can't hear me. So I pull around the town car and in front of it. Just as I'm about to move in front of him, the a**hole moves forward. I hear crunch and then a loud creak. I look and he's sideswiped me on the back. I pull away from him and hear it creak some more. So I get out of the car and he get's out.

I tell him that he scratched my car and he runs over to it. There's a huge gash about 1inch running along the entire side of the bumper. Luckily he missed the rear door, by 1 centimeter. He tells me there is nothing wrong with it.

He says he didn't even move and that I hit him when I crossed in front of him. However, my uncle who although he can't see well, clearly saw the guy move.

So I say to the guy, fork over $200 bucks or I call the cops and we get this settled with insurance.

He's like okay. I call the cops and copy down his insurance info. While we wait for the cops he starts chatting it up with my uncle. Turns out they are both from the same province in china or something and they both go to the same mechanic and body shop.

This guy then starts lecturing me about how I'm young and inexperienced and that he can get my car fixed for $100 bucks. He offers to give my $50 then and another $50 on friday. He then says he's doing me a favor only cause him and my uncle are from the same town.

So I'm like, FU, you're going to either going to give me $200 or wait for the cops to come. At this point my uncle starts to not feel well, and we've already been waiting for the cops for 30mins. My uncle asks me to just take the $100 and if it costs more, he will cover it. So we leave.

Here are my concerns:

1) I don't want my uncle to have to pay extra, how much does it costs to do a complete paint job on a bumper? It's NBP.

2) I've heard that you can never really color match NBP. It's just the nature of the pearl paint. It will always look different. Anybody hear anything about that?

3) I still have the guys insurance info. If it costs a lot more and he refuses to pay, can I still get his insurance to pay for it without a police report?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
1) I don't want my uncle to have to pay extra, how much does it costs to do a complete paint job on a bumper? It's NBP.

2) I've heard that you can never really color match NBP. It's just the nature of the pearl paint. It will always look different. Anybody hear anything about that?

3) I still have the guys insurance info. If it costs a lot more and he refuses to pay, can I still get his insurance to pay for it without a police report?
1. Repainting my front bumper after some *** pulled out in front of me cost him $704, not including the rental car for a week.

2. Thats true, but my car is SSM which is just as bad, if not worse, and they did a pretty damn good job matching mine. Only place I can tell its a little off is around the grill and only in direct sunlight.

3. It would be very hard since theres no real "offical" account that this ever occured, and now that it's happened and is done with, you'll have a tough time proving fault in a court.
Old 06-23-2003
Premium Member

civicdude will become famous soon enough
It should cost you around $200 to repaint and fix the bumper. I do not think you will be able to get any money from his insurance company without a police report.
Old 06-23-2003

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
I think you just got hosed.
Old 06-23-2003
Premium Member

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Gotti said it right lol.....sorry to say
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
honda and another shop both told me that it would cost around 700 anytime paint has to be mixed. i also have SSM tho, so i dont know about your color.

gashes arent good either, thy might have to fill that up or something which might add to the cost.

since you technically left the scene of the crime, chances are insurance wont pay. plus the police dept. can give you a ticket for leaving the scene.

gotti and civicdude said it, you got hosed. but the old man said it right..."young and inexperienced" hehe...sorry, but the irony in that is too amusing.
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

Obsidian is an unknown quantity at this point
$700 seems like a lot. Considering a new bumper painted from honda only costs $400, I don't see how repainting would cost that much.

Not so much young and inexperienced..more like a victim of asian mentality. I would have gladly stuck around for the police and do things right. However, I didn't really have a choice as here was my uncle with diabetes and water filled organs, wanted to go home cause he's not feeling well. For all I know if I insisted on staying there, he might have died.

By victim of Asian mentality, I mean the buddy buddy trust system that my uncle immediately developed with this guy just because they happen to come from the same province and know the same people. It's stupid.

Has anyone actually had to get their bumper painted NBP and knows a good place with a good price in NY?

PS: I called my insurance company to asked if I am hosed. They said that a police report wasn't important as long as the other guy was willing to admit its his fault. I just have to push a bit further. I know where he lives. Worse comes to worse, I'll go knocking on his door with the police (my cousin) hehe and scare his ***.

Last edited by Obsidian; 06-23-2003 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
i have a NBP vic, it is true that the color is very tough to match, it will cost a pretty penny to have it fixed, then painted, and blended so you can't tell that there is damage, and as far as buying a new bumper coevr from honda, it will be a close match, but you will be able to tell the difference in color because it is not from the same set of paint, and there will be subtile differences... sorry to say it but you should have waited on the boys in blue to show up to file a report and have documentation of fault and so on, being as you have one witness, whom is also a relative, you will have a very tough time settling with his insurance company should the repair be more than the aforementioned $100, which in all likely hood it will be, i hate to say it but gotti is correct, you got burned
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
i dont blame you for deciding to get your uncle home. i mean, its only a car.

as far as price, i dont know why its that much, but i just relayed the info i was told. that was in 2001 tho, so who knows...it might be less now.