Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

civic VS tribulon am I in denial

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
Question civic VS tribulon am I in denial

hi,

I am confused and not sure if I am in denial or not.

Again I see on newspaper a 2003 tribulon with MSRP 19500$ C.D, if I am not mistaken this is the price of a civic EX U.S or LX sport Canada. Tribulon has V6 and all kind of performance-like stuff. However, I still believe my Honda LX sport better. Obviously it is not faster, even with VTEC which only works at high RPM.

Am I a too stubburn thinking civic is just somehow better then Tribulon in general? ( let's not simply focus on racing, we are not racing everyday).

After putting on 17" wheels and spoiler on a civic the total price exceed a tribulon which already has 17" wheels and spoiler. This is just confusing! Are we all fooled by Honda?? The reason I think Tribulon not as good is the following statement:" A lot of features with low price means the quality of those features is low." Am I in denial thinking civic is JUST better?

Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: civic VS tribulon am I in denial

Originally posted by orion_squall

A lot of features with low price means the quality of those features is low." Am I in denial thinking civic is JUST better?

that about sums it up.
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
wait, do v6 tiburons go for 19k cdn? thought they went for 19k US?

anyway I tested one and wasn't impressed by the build quality nor was I impressed with the substandard engine and transmission. hyundai's have come a long way, but they aren't what i'd consider "quality" just yet.
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

Civicly02 will become famous soon enoughCivicly02 will become famous soon enough
and no matter what you will drive a Hyundai
Old 05-13-2003
Banned by Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
those cars have 100k mile/10 year warranties for a reason, same reason kias have the same warranty. They aren't gonna last you ten years without something going wrong. Their production quality isn't good at all. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a new V6 tiburon, but still there is a reason for the warranty
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
yes guys,

20000$ C.D go to hyundai canada...

to be honese, if the car was from Honda/toyota/nissan/mitsu I would buy it but the tilted H from Hyundai is just hard to accept.

to be fair, I compare hyundai base model with automatic with civic EX US or LX sport Canada. Fair because civic has no leather.

and please let's forget about KIA, Daewoo and all those. Those are just piece of "gold". Don't even make me start, KIA magentis is same price of civic yet it has V6 with sportronic shift, oh my god! "they are too smart to have all those kind of thing at such price yet euro, jap, and american can't!" (ironically)
Old 05-13-2003
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
Originally posted by orion_squall
yes guys,

20000$ C.D go to hyundai canada...

to be honese, if the car was from Honda/toyota/nissan/mitsu I would buy it but the tilted H from Hyundai is just hard to accept.

to be fair, I compare hyundai base model with automatic with civic EX US or LX sport Canada. Fair because civic has no leather.

and please let's forget about KIA, Daewoo and all those. Those are just piece of "gold". Don't even make me start, KIA magentis is same price of civic yet it has V6 with sportronic shift, oh my god! "they are too smart to have all those kind of thing at such price yet euro, jap, and american can't!" (ironically)

I am not comparing the cars, I am compairing the warranties. There is a reason that these warranties last so long. It doesn't have to do with the sporttronic shift crap. It has to do with the crappy quality of the cars. I will give hyundai some props with their newest cars I am sure they are alot better quality than there past cars, but still something has to be missing to have such a long warranty.
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

yeah I totally agree with you~

that is why I put "ironic" after what I said...
Old 05-13-2003
Banned by Admin

oh ok, my bad. I thought you were trying to prove me wrong.
Old 05-20-2003
Registered!!

and their warranty is just a marketing stretegy.

100k mile/10 years... guarantee ends whichever happen first.

usually within 6 years people drive 100k so no one will actually be guaranteed for 10 years.
Old 05-20-2003
Registered!!

think about it, there are 365 days per year. 100 000 km/365 days means one can only drive 28km per day in order to keep the millage within 100k km in 10 years so that the car engine is guaranteed for 10 years.

come on! that is just a strategy. The car is not guaranteed for 10 years at all. Normal man will just reach 100k km within 6 years. That is why most cars offer 6 years/100 000km.
those korean car company just keep lieing! first their horse power then their guarantee...crap
Old 05-20-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
It's old technology... what you are essentially buying is a car that was advanced in 1996 or 97.... 170 HP out of a V6??? Come on now.... these days thats just rediculous. That's why its so cheap... that and they're buying parts not developing them... it's a Nissan tranny... the same one as in the the SE-R Spec V, but with out the Helical LSD. Bottom line, they make a snappy package with a great sounding warranty and then stuff it full of cheap, outdated equipment, and sell it for cheap.
Old 05-20-2003
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
I agree! The technology is old and I bet its not a computerized direct ignition which most new cars have.

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
It's old technology... what you are essentially buying is a car that was advanced in 1996 or 97.... 170 HP out of a V6??? Come on now.... these days thats just rediculous. That's why its so cheap... that and they're buying parts not developing them... it's a Nissan tranny... the same one as in the the SE-R Spec V, but with out the Helical LSD. Bottom line, they make a snappy package with a great sounding warranty and then stuff it full of cheap, outdated equipment, and sell it for cheap.
Old 05-21-2003
Banned by Admin

I could have sworn that in the car & driver that the car was first showed in they said the tranny was completely re-engineered by VW. But still the engine is old technology yes, and it is still a hyundai. "Whoopty doo Bassel, What does it all meen?" Absolutely jack crap. Just like every other car out of Korea, the new tiburon is a one owner throw away car. Which meens one person owns it and no one else will want the car after that.
Old 06-06-2003
Registered!!

TiburonGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, so many hard-headed Honda owners. I'm sure most of you have never even been inside any Hyundai. With the exception of the Hyundai Accident (listed under "Accent"), Hyundai really isn't as bad as the misconception goes. Perhaps the interior quality isn't as good as it might be, but its not horrible either. I honestly find it to be fine. But for a GT for $20k, loaded...they must sacrifice something somewhere. Personally, I find the new Civic EX to be entirely overpriced. I think I should've never exceeded the 15k pricetag attached to my aunt's '99 Ex coupe when she purchased it new. 19k for any civic is a SHAM! I mean, honestly, the door frame expands and contracts as you roll the window down! How's that for "sublime" Honda interior quality! Just give Hyundai a few years. Let's not all forget how terrible Honda and Toyota were when they debuted here 3 decades ago. Don't get me wrong, I don't think entirely ill of Honda, they are great reliable cars, but Hyundais are as well. Hyundais are simply priced ideally. Besides, come on, EVERYONE AND HIS GOD FORSAKEN FATHER drive a Honda! A large point of having a certain car is so that it is different from the rest of those on the road. Sure you can mod, but that makes it only so much different. On a final note, did you notice how reliable those "crappy" Hyundais are? Why almost as reliable as those Hondas known for their trademark reliability. Wait, did I say "almost" as reliable? Sorry, typo...I meant AS reliable as Honda. Check out an article on www.consumerreports.com rating most main car corporations on overall reliability. Don't buy just for the name, its absurd. Think again the next time you get the urge to bash Hyundai .
Old 06-06-2003
Registered!!

yeah right man,

the name is everything, that is why people get audi, bmw which are overpriced too, dude.

As long as people still have discrimination at Hyundai WE won't get one alright??? who wants to spend $$$$ then get discriminated then try to explain here like you man???

Hyundai will improve in 10 years, yeah ok, our GM and those jap car will too ok?? I don't think Korean car will have ability to finally come to same level as american's like those jap cars did. So go explain yourself other place man.
Old 06-06-2003
Registered!!

MrFresh is an unknown quantity at this point
I would never buy a Hyundai (too many bad memorys of my friends early 90s excel) but i'll say this for them...they win a lot of rally races.
Old 06-06-2003
Registered!!

yeah, they won rally race, but it does not mean their car are fit for rally.

in the race those driver modified almost everything, they usually use "hyundai coupe" (early tibs), and change the whole suspension and engine. technically we can not say it is an hyundai anymore. In those kind of race, it depend on the team which movified the car, not the car company themself!

mitsubishi evo 6 mac serie aleays get first place and WRX second or third....since when thyundai wins anyways????? by winning thy must beat WRX and evo 6. which is no way.
Old 06-06-2003
Registered!!

TiburonGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Actualy, It is way. Hyundai possible to beat WRX or EVO if is enough money and time put in to beat competitor. You no able to say is impossible. Even Toyota Echo with enough modification able to win rally over generally believed faster competitor. Yet with equal amount of modification for each competitor, I see your point.
Old 06-06-2003
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
i actually like the new Tiburon... its not a bad lookin car and has some good potentional.. however i like the looks of my 7thgen better even though its slow as a snail..
Old 06-07-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
My friends bro just bought one it's nice looking but there are some little quirks with it and stuff like that but looks wise its really nice. But for that price I think I would buy something else.
Old 06-24-2003
cal
Registered!!

cal is an unknown quantity at this point
a lil late into discussion but here's my 2c.

i would have bought the tiburon if it weren't for insane insurance quotes i got for the car. i had to 'settle' for civic. i could have gotten a much better equipped tiburon for what i paid for my civic. i don't think it's hyundai cutting corners as much as honda overcharging civic for its reputation and resale value.
as for the warranty, enjoy it while it lasts. i can say for certain that the warranty will be gone before long. hyundai sales are brisk, and they're confident that the sales will keep up even when warranty is scaled back a bit. the rumour of warranty cutback to industry standard level has been talked about for the last couple of years, but i think they're keeping it for now as an incentive for potential buyers in a tough economic climate. once economy picks up (which will have given hyundai ample time to build up reputation even further) they'll drop it for sure. personally, if i were buying a tiburon, i'd buy one now when they give you the generous warranty.
btw, i wish honda gave us those generous warranties... if they're really confident, why couldn't they give us a similar one? the fact that hyundai is offering 100K warranty is a testament to their confidence in their build quality.

i've seen some tibs with widebody-kits and lambo-doors on some site somewhere... they look sweet~
Old 06-24-2003
Registered!!

yeah the hyundai worranty is really attractive.

however, they might be more strict in voiding the warranty if you put any mods on. And there are less hyundai dealer around.
Old 06-24-2003
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
ive got a friend in my club with the new tib. i drove it a little bit, it was rather nice inside. the only probs ive heard about the new tib is thier clutch sucks and burns up pretty quick. hes replaced the clutch 3 times but finally just got a race cluth
Old 06-24-2003
Registered!!

UpNorth2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by cal
a lil late into discussion but here's my 2c.

i would have bought the tiburon if it weren't for insane insurance quotes i got for the car. i had to 'settle' for civic. i could have gotten a much better equipped tiburon for what i paid for my civic. i don't think it's hyundai cutting corners as much as honda overcharging civic for its reputation and resale value.
as for the warranty, enjoy it while it lasts. i can say for certain that the warranty will be gone before long. hyundai sales are brisk, and they're confident that the sales will keep up even when warranty is scaled back a bit. the rumour of warranty cutback to industry standard level has been talked about for the last couple of years, but i think they're keeping it for now as an incentive for potential buyers in a tough economic climate. once economy picks up (which will have given hyundai ample time to build up reputation even further) they'll drop it for sure. personally, if i were buying a tiburon, i'd buy one now when they give you the generous warranty.
btw, i wish honda gave us those generous warranties... if they're really confident, why couldn't they give us a similar one? the fact that hyundai is offering 100K warranty is a testament to their confidence in their build quality.

i've seen some tibs with widebody-kits and lambo-doors on some site somewhere... they look sweet~

I completely agree...
Old 06-25-2003
The Greatest

Fern is an unknown quantity at this point
Wait they put the nissan Spec V tranny in these cars? The same tranny that has had problems in the Sentra's? Hopefully it was after 2001 cause I know of a lot of those trannies being recalled for the Spec V's. Although, the civic has its tranny problems as well.
Old 06-25-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Old or new Tiberon, it dosn't matter. What does matter is the driver. and if he/she can do this.

then again, the guy's been autocrossing for 15+ years. and yes thats a stock Tiberon.
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

Gecko is a jewel in the roughGecko is a jewel in the roughGecko is a jewel in the rough
My second choice was a Tiburon but I agree with cal
Old 06-25-2003
Banned by Admin

Originally posted by Fern
Wait they put the nissan Spec V tranny in these cars? The same tranny that has had problems in the Sentra's? Hopefully it was after 2001 cause I know of a lot of those trannies being recalled for the Spec V's. Although, the civic has its tranny problems as well.

Like I said before. I believe I remember reading in Car and Driver the month before the new tibby came out, engineers from porsche redesigned the whole tranny.

Then what do u people that like the Tiburon have to say about the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. There has got to be a reason the warranty is so long.

Also I am not bias towards the civic because before I had one I was going to wait till the new model tiburon came out and get one. Then I learned about the warranty, then also learned that the quality of Hyundai cars are about the same as Kias. If I am not mistaken, isn't there a car in the Hyundai line up that is also in the Kia but with a different name?