Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

New member+first civic(with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94civichatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation New member+first civic(with pics)

New to the site, new to civics. just got my first car and she happens to be a 94 civic hatchback. i am from canada(eh) and im growing a strong interest in these cars. first car i ever drove was a 2003SIR, from there i was hooked. heres some pics of how i bought her.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	c1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	78886   Click image for larger version

Name:	c2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	78887   Click image for larger version

Name:	c3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	78888   Click image for larger version

Name:	c4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	78889   Click image for larger version

Name:	c5.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	78890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	c6.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	78891   Click image for larger version

Name:	c7.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	78892   Click image for larger version

Name:	c8.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	78893   Click image for larger version

Name:	c9.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	78894  
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough
Re: New member+first civic(with pics)

Clean ride man!

Welcome!
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

hindude will become famous soon enough

Welcome to civic forums!

def looking clean from the outside. I'd clean that engine bay up a little and put a lip of something on the rear bumper so the bottom line of the civic matches up. you can see it in the 5th pic. are you planing on doing anything else to it?
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

thank you sir. any tips/pointers anyone has, feel free to give me your input cuz im not too sure what im doing. i know i want an si/sir gauge cluster for sure.(anyone whos got one for cheap, lemme know!)
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

would a rear lip interfere with my exhaust though?? and the interior is clean. ill put up some pics in a minute of the interior. no back seats. id also like to find some color for my vents/trims. any ideas on where i can find those for the interior?
Old 08-04-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Welcome and its hard to find clean Eg/Eh's these days that have not been beat up and molested bad. And got hooked with a ep3 huh lol. I have a 2002 si which is the Canadian sir.
Old 08-04-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice ride, nasty subs :P
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

what is ep3? lol sorry im new to all this, so i gotta take some time to get used to all the abr's. thanks, i had never heard of "THUMP" subs before, but ill tell you this much.. they ~ThUmP~
Old 08-04-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by 94civichatch
what is ep3? lol sorry im new to all this, so i gotta take some time to get used to all the abr's. thanks, i had never heard of "THUMP" subs before, but ill tell you this much.. they ~ThUmP~
The ep3 stands for the chassis code for the 02-05 civic si, civic sir and civic type r. The chassis code of a car is the 4th to 6th number on your vin number.
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

ahh i get it now. thanks alot see slowly but surely ill get the hang of this stuff. any pointers on what to do with my ride? keep in mind, budget is low right now :P
Old 08-04-2010
Banned

Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Looks like your head gasket is letting a little oil out...maybe its old residue.
Old 08-04-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by 94civichatch
ahh i get it now. thanks alot see slowly but surely ill get the hang of this stuff. any pointers on what to do with my ride? keep in mind, budget is low right now :P
For real the ride looks good to me. Just need to get a real exhuast instead of that little fart can, and get that engine bay looking good. Wash her out and then paint some of it like valve cover and stuff.
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

if it does happen to be leaking any, which im not sure if it is or not.. how would i fix that? and what kind of problems may arise?
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
For real the ride looks good to me. Just need to get a real exhuast instead of that little fart can, and get that engine bay looking good. Wash her out and then paint some of it like valve cover and stuff.
the exhaust actually sounds good lol. it goes straight to the manifold.. idk what kind it is but it doesnt sound like that loud annoying civic sound
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

If budget is low, I'd invest it in maintenance then work your way to aftermarket parts.

What's the history behind the car?
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

by maintenance u mean? oil change, trans oil change, new battery.. what else am i missing? and the history behind the car.. well it was bought in 94 by an old lady, she had up until 7 years ago. a guy bought it off of her and basically babied it. he did all the mods (short shifter, cold air, rims, exhaust, suspension, sound system, etc). he didnt winter drive it, ever. kept it in a garage. im guessing the discoloration around the quarters are from when he got the car.. he probably bondoed it and then repainted the area. car has 185xxxkm on it at the moment.
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

Crusader69 is an unknown quantity at this point

looks great man!

you should get your headlights and taillights tinted a bit, i think that would make it look awesome!
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

yeah id like to do that. how would i tint them? you mean like just buy new headlights and taillights(smoked) or smoke them myself? i also just bought a pair of 10000k HID's
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

Well unless you know what you are doing with tinting then dont do it yourself. bring it to a shop to do it. and for the taillights/headlights they should be able to do it at the tint shop as well. just dont paint them, that is too much
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

yeah, sounds good. any idea on how much that might cost?
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

im not 100 percent sure, you would have to do a bit or research and see how much your local shops charges.
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

hindude will become famous soon enough

you should be able to find a lip that has a gap for the exhaust.
Old 08-05-2010
jmg
Registered!!

jmg is an unknown quantity at this point

Lookin good!
Old 08-05-2010
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

Looking good.Can't find a lot go EG's these days that aren't riced out.Your engine bay could use a clean though.Paint is pretty decent considering how old EG's are.
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

Black Magic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey! It's another Canadian who joined the same day as me
Old 08-06-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nosepicker
If budget is low, I'd invest it in maintenance then work your way to aftermarket parts.
Fo' sho. Looks like a gasket is leaking from that engine bay pic. Maybe it's just dirty? My girlfriend's Corolla was leaking oil because the valve cover gasket was old. If that's the case with yours, it's a pretty easy and cheap fix. Clean hatch btw
Old 08-06-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MelJ
Fo' sho. Looks like a gasket is leaking from that engine bay pic. Maybe it's just dirty? My girlfriend's Corolla was leaking oil because the valve cover gasket was old. If that's the case with yours, it's a pretty easy and cheap fix. Clean hatch btw
Thanks, if that is the case.. could you walk me through how to take the valve cover off lol and replace the gasket. cuz last night i was trying to take the valve cover off and i had everything unhooked except the distributer cap. but see i wasnt sure where i was supposed to take off the distributer or if i was even supposed to take it off! lol i know... im a noob. but im trying to learn all this because i really do enjoy working on cars.. just gotta learn some more haha. if you could just give me a quick breif walk through on how to take off the valve cover it would be greatly appreciated. THANKs!
Old 08-06-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I'll try to explain it. I've never been really good with walkthroughs. Lol. Im basing this on what my friend and I did with the Corolla. It should be pretty much the same. Other folks, please feel free to correct me.
1. Disconnect the ground(negative) battery cable.
2. I'd suggest getting some degreaser and cleaning everything off the engine. You'll have to hose it down with a mist setting or something. Trust me, it'll make it easier. Just remove the spark plug wires and cover all your electrical stuff with plastic bags. ALSO. ALSO. Tape off the spark plug holes with some duct tape before proceeding. Don't want any water in there. Or you can just leave the plugs in and cover them with bags as well.
3. There should be 4 bolts on the valve cover. One on each corner. My car( 2000 Civic) has a bolt which is grounded as well on one corner. Don't know if it is the same for your car, but if it is, I'd disconnect that one first. Although I'm not sure if it makes a difference. There may also be old grommets underneath those bolts. Take those off as well.
4. Remove the spark plug wires. Now on the Corolla, we didn't need to touch the distributor cap. Looking at my Si, seems to be the same way. Just get the wires out of the way. Just make sure you mark them so you don't mess up putting them back in.
5. Remove the cover. You may need to use a hammer and a block of wood to knock the cover loose. Don't pry at it though.
6. Once it's off, you'll need to take the old gasket off. You may need a gasket scraper. I picked one up at Harbor Freight for like 3 dollars. You're also gonna need to clean off the head and the mating surface of the valve cover where you just took that gasket off. Get some acetone or lacquer thinner. Get a rag and put a little on there. Be as thorough as you can. Dirty surface is no bueno. Could cause leaks.
7. Get some RTV or Hondabond. I had the red RTV sealant. Some folks don't use it, but better safe than sorry. I don't know exactly where to place the sealant though, so hopefully someone else will chime in there.
8. The kit may have new spark plug tube seals too. I don't know how to remove them from the Civic though.
9. Put the valve cover back on. Some VCG kits come with new grommets as well. You should use the new ones, then put the bolts back on(don't overtighten them! They don't take much torque)
10. Install the wires again and don't forget to remove those bags!
11. Reconnect the battery.
Then start the car and check for any leaks.

If that was a little on the blah side, I apologize. I just wanted to share some info. If I'm off on anything, please correct me.
You can also visit AutoZone.com and make an account for your car. Go to parts and select valve cover gasket. It should list the steps in a bit more detail. Lol. I hope I helped. I probably could've just gave you the AutoZone info.
Old 08-06-2010
Registered!!

WOW . awesome man! i think that will help alot. thank you very much. but when i disconnect the wires to the distributer and the power cables, what do i do after? like do i just leave the distributer or do i need to unscrew anything on there? if anyone knows, please let me know! thanks guys
Old 08-06-2010
Trance Addict

Not really sure. Just pull the spark plug wires from the holes. You shouldn't need to touch the cap. The valve cover should be just held in by those 4 bolts. Im using my phone as of now, so I have limited web access. The cover should have 2 humps in it, one goes over the cap and the other is on the opposite side. So basically, the cover sits on top of the cap. It shouldn't actually be attached. But like I said, I'm not 100% sure. If you want, go out there and just take a little time under the hood and look at some stuff. I'm still pretty new to DIYs, but I find stuff is much easier once you see where stuff goes and is attached to.

Quick Reply: New member+first civic(with pics)