Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Interest in 7thgen tuner guidebook?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Interest in 7thgen tuner guidebook?

I had an idea, and i wanted to see if it would be worth doing. Basically i want to write about my adventures in the modding world and make a newbie guide on how to mod the 7thgen. It will be filled mostly with general info, as well as some diys and pics. it will be BIG, as you will see below. So I was gonna start working on this and maybe sell copies of the pdf file here or on ebay.

this is the index i am working on. this will be a big work in progress and im expecting it to take a month or more if i work on it every day. If you have pics of your car and want me to include them, you can post here and i will try to fit them somewhere along the way.

this is just a rough version, some things may not be included, and other things added.

----------------------------------------------------

A Tuner's guide to the 7thgencivic

Intro (what is car modding, why do you do it, advantages of civic platform, keeping it legal)

BASIC Exterior (rims, hub rings, lugnuts and torque, lowering springs/shocks, lip kits, heads/tails, washer nozzles, wipers, spoilers, cf hoods, painting rotors/drums, plate bolts)

BASIC interior (trim pieces, floor lights, door panel fabrics, seats, steering wheel, gauges, door handles, ashtray, switches)

ADVANCED interior (weight reduction, new carpet, shave sound deadening in trunk, dome light led retrofit, door marker lights, hardwire 12v devices, remote trunk popper)

BASIC performance mods (intakes, header and jethot coating, exhaust systems, vafcII wiring and operation, stiffy, spark plugs, strut bar, bushings, hvs-gt, battery, pulleys, ground wires, mpg effects, hi flow cat, race headers, lx vs ex exhaust vs hx, throttle body and iac valve, pcv valve, vtec solenoid, TB coolant bypass, iat sensor mods, throttle body spacers and other fake tornado/turbonator/eram/magnets/atomizers, hho generators, aerodynamics, gas saving mods, vortex fins, lubecontrol additives vs others, jackstands and jacks)

ADVANCED performance mods (pnp heads, valve jobs, cams, dyno tuning, turbo, engine swaps, nitrous, cry-o2, ported tb and tps adjustments, compression, radiator caps and trans oil coolers, ignition upgrades, oil weights/synthetics, trans fluids)

BASIC ICE mods (cd receiver install and upgrade power/grounds, wiring and fuse ratings, components vs 2-ways, tweeters, amps, subs, install info and dynamat, proper connection quality, proper tuning frequencies, amp wire diagrams, upgrade speaker wires, power antenna wire, satellite radio, hybrid radio reception)

ADVANCED ICE mods (setting a sound stage, advanced tuning amp and deck, proper door panel speaker installs, eliminating common rattles)

BASIC lighting (different halogen bulbs and lumens, coated bulb myths and novelty bulbs, white light vs yellow, fog lamps oem vs projector, signal, brake, and park upgrade bulbs, led bulbs and their proper uses, flasher upgrade, interior light upgrades, being visible, aftermarket drls)

ADVANCED lighting (hid kit vs retrofit, how to retrofit real hid, sidemarkers, catz zeta and higher watt halogens with relay wire harness diagrams, led Xmitter bars, led strobe kits, underglow kits, how to work with/types of led lights, spoiler led array diagram, driving lights vs fog lights, proper headlamp aiming technique)

DETAILING
Old 07-03-2008
skate or die

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all
Re: Interest in 7thgen tuner guidebook?

I think it is a great idea. I can see myself, and others reading this manual in hard copy with pictures while they work on the car.

Sort of like a chilton auto manual, but for 7thgen modding only.
Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

YuckerDisMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill take one if you make it into an actual book...not just a pdf file. How much do you think you would sell it for?
Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like a great idea, that way I can pick your brain without annoying you lol.
Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

CivicFreak03 has a spectacular aura aboutCivicFreak03 has a spectacular aura about

I would be interested...foos would probably pat you on the back so he doesn't get anymore of my annoying turbo questions lol
Old 07-03-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BJanzen
Sounds like a great idea, that way I can pick your brain without annoying you lol.
lol ya with updates annualy!
Old 07-03-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BJanzen
thats funny...

I would buy a copy from you... I am sure i would learn a thing or two from it. Good as a reference material too. I am also willing to help you out with donating info if you need anything.
Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Lol will there be a entire chapter on lubecontrol?
Old 07-03-2008
skate or die

haha no way their web site has enough information to give someone a headache.
Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

Lol very very true.
Old 07-03-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

My only concern would be complete accuracy of all information....
Not to say you don't know what you're talking about but engine theory is extraordinarily complex...
Old 07-03-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Good on you for taking this on gear, it's a helluva big project. If any of the DIYs I wrote or pics I've taken are good enough to be in it, feel free to throw them in, just put me in the credits somewhere!
Old 07-03-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

id love to see such a thing, especially if it covers a lot of the smaller details. a lot of the DIYs on this site get straight to the point but usually fail to address the smaller details
Old 07-03-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

oh and

Originally Posted by gearbox

ADVANCED performance mods (pnp heads, valve jobs, cams, dyno tuning, turbo, engine swaps, nitrous, cry-o2, ported tb and tps adjustments, compression, radiator caps and trans oil coolers, ignition upgrades, oil weights/synthetics, trans fluids)

Last edited by Envy; 07-03-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

i think its a great idea. Kind of like a helms manual with actual pictures, not diagrams.
Old 07-04-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

haha like i said, this will be geared mainly towards noobs. i really got worried today when this guy i know took his infinity to tires plus to get some pnp led bulbs put in for $40, when i ended up having to pull them out in 2 minutes to troubleshoot how they fried his entire parking light circuit. damn. all it required was sticking my hand behind the light lol.

so it will have alot of basic info but there will also be some advanced stuff that i havent posted about at all. andyman is right tho, i have to be very careful about what i put in, my engine knowledge is limited so needless to say that area will not have as much info. I cant possibly know everything there is to know, so this is kinda a book about what i do know. lighting will be huge lol, and so will maint stuff and general info. i will try and put in some diy too, but nothing too complicated. my point is not to rehash everything thats been posted here before but simply to open peoples eyes at some easy things that most people have no idea about. i know when i first got my car, all i knew was where the gas goes. i am thinking that it may be best if some of the more experienced members here read it first before i put it out in the open like andyman, tfnaaf, boiler, etc. but like i said, its not gonna have too much about what i dont have a good grasp on. the last thing i wanna do is steer people down the wrong path.

i was thinking somewhere around $25 for a pdf copy, but thats just a rough estimate based on the huge time commitment it will take. it will be worth it when its done, i plan to throw in a bunch of stuff and add to it along the way as i think of new stuff. there is so much i wanna do and time is scarce with me working so much. but im trying to take pics and do 1 chapter at a time to get every detail. so far i did some of the exterior, there really isnt much in the way of diy yet, i kinda dont wanna repeat stuff you can find in the service book or on here. but idk. prolly the file will be too big to email so it will have to be burned to cd and sent usps.

Last edited by gearbox; 07-04-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

How about collaborating with some of the top gurus of the sections you dont know much about?

This book will be an awesome piece of info for 7thgen tuners, but how many will buy it?
Old 07-04-2008
Premium Member

true i thought about that too. how many of you expert turbo/swap/nitrous/na guys would be willing to contribute a section to it? we could build this into a huge book. how about i write what i can first, pass it to you, and if you like the way its written and dont mind having your own info added as a separate chapter (with full credit ofcourse), then we can make it happen and it will turn into a compilation of every available piece of info. kinda like a big legacy of what this site taught everyone about the 7thgens.
Old 07-04-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be down to help you with the N/A stuff
Old 07-04-2008
Premium Member

thanks yeah, please post in here if you are interested in getting a copy to proofread and then add your own section to it. then i have a way to PM those people and send it.
Old 07-05-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

im willing to assist with kswap info
Old 07-05-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind helping out.
Old 07-05-2008
Diamond Member

there is a book out there about how to modify a 7th gen and it has installing nitrous, springs, shocks, rims, i/h/e, and a few more.
Old 07-05-2008
Registered!!

metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

that would be good. im sure everybody can learn something from it. especially people just getting into the car scene and diy mods and maintenance. plus i think the pdf will be good since you will be able to hotlink to chapters and search for specific content
Old 07-05-2008
Premium Member

mine is gonna be more of a useful information book, not a manual of diys. you can buy a service manual if you wanna know how stuff comes apart. that would take way too much work and pics and writing, just to explain it all. there will be some diy, but it will be simple stuff thats not normally found in manuals. im not gonna go explaining how to install a cd player or how the bumper comes off. thats a waste of time. it is mainly informational, and if there comes a need to post how to do something, i will put it in with pics.
Old 07-06-2008
I'll flip out and kill people.

modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned

7th Generation Civics for Dummies. good stuff
this is a great idea man... hell, if it became worth it, you could expand to other cars... doesn't have to stop at only what you know
Old 07-06-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to help as well. I'm not interested in making any money on this either.
Old 07-13-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

wur's all da suspension folks?
Old 07-13-2008
Registered!!

thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough

Should have specific memebers do sections, the experts, it will take forever having one person writing it.
Old 07-13-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

its a great idea gear, any diy's ive done, if u want em in there, are free too. u need any help hit me up, im down

Quick Reply: Interest in 7thgen tuner guidebook?