Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

possible boost build..questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007
Technical Assistant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute
possible boost build..questions

I wana do this in about a year but I wana know stuff so I can snag good deals if they come along in the meantime...want to run 6psi and shooting for 160-175whp...can it be done? here we go

manifold-t25 HKS cast iron
turbo-t25 duno what kind to get though...DSM? or from another source, i was thinking a 14g
injectors-what are the cheapest ones i can get that will flow enough
engine management- e-manage blue?? anything cheaper i can get? someone mentioned something about chrome
intercooler-need size suggestions...can i use an ebay one...what about a side mount maybe?
IC piping-custom made
exhaust-will 2.25 do?
bov-someone told me to use a 1g DSM BOV
clutch-stage 1 exedy?
gauge-any specific brands?

any other suggestions..dont need big power, just want a nice responsive snappy car
Old 12-02-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
Re: possible boost build..questions

There are a ton of threads about this...you need to search around.
Old 12-03-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

manifold-t25 HKS cast iron
-not a bad choice, functional and reliable..
turbo-t25 duno what kind to get though...DSM? or from another source, i was thinking a 14g
-dont get a used turbo
injectors-what are the cheapest ones i can get that will flow enough
-RSX-S injectors will flow perfectly for 6psi, and they're starting to go pretty cheap, usually under $90 a set.
engine management- e-manage blue?? anything cheaper i can get? someone mentioned something about chrome
-crome works on EPROM OBD1 cars, so good luck with that. everyone on this forum knows that the emanage at least works..
intercooler-need size suggestions...can i use an ebay one...what about a side mount maybe?
-FMIC is always best, but ive seen sidemounts work, but youd have to move your battery to the trunk (more $$) I suggest trying to find a setup in the sale forum.
IC piping-custom made
-not too hard to do, just about anyone that can weld can fab up some pipes for you.
exhaust-will 2.25 do?
-more or less, 2.5" would be ideal, but a 1/4" wont kill you.
bov-someone told me to use a 1g DSM BOV
-for low boost, sure. id rather get a recirculation valve if i were boosting on a low budget.
clutch-stage 1 exedy?
-some people may not like what im about to say...but the stock clutch is FINE. i beat the living **** out of my clutch at 8 psi, daily driving it for well over a year AND taught my gf stick. When I pulled it out to install my stage 1...it looked freaking new, yes, the original 2002 clutch was only a few hundreths of an inch thinner than my brand new clutch. It held 180 whp like a champ, never slipped and put side to side with the exedy stage 1, you cant even tell a difference, same logos, very similar compounds. honda put a good clutch in these cars. however, thats been my experience, if you know your clutch is going, or will be going soon, the stage 1 is nice. firms up the pedal a little bit and engages really smoothly. i like it.
gauge-any specific brands?
-DEFI, dont know if they still make mechanical gauges, but i have one, and it was cheaper than most others and it's very accurate. dont forget to get atleast a wideband and id also suggest an oil pressure gauge. boosted cars are good at losing oil, and i killed my first motor as a result. just a good thing to keep an eye on.

other suggestions:
-use an oil filter housing sandwich plate to source your oil feed instead of trying to tee into the factory oil pressure sender. I have a goldeneagle version, but i know there are plenty on the market.
-the goldeneagle vacuum manifold makes it easy to route all your vacuum hoses.
-get a good tune. get a good tune, get a good tune, get it? a good tune will save your motor.
-FREAKIN' SEARCH MAN, THESE AND MANY OTHER QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED MANY TIMES BEFORE.
-im sure im forgetting something, i'll add it if it comes to me.

good luck and dont become an addict to boost, you'll want to crank it up and your wallet will be lighter, alot lighter.

Last edited by skipbarber; 12-03-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with everything Edwin said except his last sentence. I can take my turbo kit off anytime I want to, I don't need more boost. There's nothing addictive about it....

My recommendation for the EMS on a budget build is the AEM F/IC. You can get the whole thing for about $600 with the harness and it comes with an onboard MAP sensor so you don't have to spend another $75 (like with the PCS or Greddy) on an external one. I have no personal experience with it, but folks are having good luck with it on mild builds.

Don't forget new plugs, vac line, clamps, couplers, gaskets, and all the other nitnoid stuff that adds up in a real hurry.
Old 12-03-2007
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice

go AEM F/IC...I got it with 7lbs...its great man...never used e-manage but I heard it can be a biaaatch at times
Old 12-03-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know I need a good tune, we have good guys around here, I can always get it done at a shop that uses Evan's. Also, will I be able to reach my target power with a bare 6psi? And, ive never heard of the AEM F/IC, I thought that e-manage blue would work, and its cheaper at only 300 bux
Old 12-03-2007
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice

Emanage with no addons or plug and play harness is 300 bux. The AEM F/IC with all the bells and whistles is just under 600 with the plug and play harness. You can hardwire it and save the extra couple hundred bucks for the plug and play if you want. Its kind of a pain in the *** though. Emanage will never stack up to the AEM F/IC even if you do spend the money and get all its addons which in the end will cost more than the AEM setup.
Old 12-03-2007
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough

Read Paul's write up on emanage vs f/ic.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...-e-manage.html

FYI if you do end up using a DSM turbo it's not going to bolt up to the HKS manifold.
Old 12-03-2007
Technical Assistant

Originally Posted by MisterFrankieJ
Read Paul's write up on emanage vs f/ic.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...-e-manage.html

FYI if you do end up using a DSM turbo it's not going to bolt up to the HKS manifold.
What about a saab turbo? sr20 turbo?? I heard that the DSM one doesnt bolt up but noone told me why
Old 12-03-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ultimatetuner10
What about a saab turbo? sr20 turbo?? I heard that the DSM one doesnt bolt up but noone told me why
the footprint for the exhaust housing doesnt match up to the manifold flange
Old 12-03-2007
Technical Assistant

Originally Posted by familycar
the footprint for the exhaust housing doesnt match up to the manifold flange
for the DSM one or all of them...would a DSM manifold fit our cars??
Old 12-03-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

you cant seriously be asking that question.
Old 12-03-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all

your making this harder than it has to be. the manifold from HKS fits a t25, a DSM manifold is for a DSM not a civic, so you answered your own question. if you want to run the HKS manifold you NEED a t25 turbo, but you should not choose your turbo based on the manifold, it should be the other way around.
Old 12-03-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

everyone has already answered your questions. and this topic has been covered before. please search.