Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

D17 is dead for now..

Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
D17 is dead for now..

Whats going on people? Yep you read correctly, originally my motor got flooded in a flash flood back in April. The car bent a rod and blew the valves. My mechanic (which is now under my he sucks category) swapped my motor with one from an 02 with 60k miles and "rebuilt" the engine, so he says.

Any who, everything was good, no check engine lights or anything, just 4days ago I started hearing a tick, (not a knock) at about 3500 rpm sounded like a valve so I took it back and he tells me he can fix it over the weekend, (which would be this weekend) so I was on my way. I figured I wouldn't push the car too hard. Oil is always checked and no burning or leaking was going on.

Well on Wednesday I was driving to work no prob and then started hearing the noise a little louder. I figured it wasn't good as it got worse, temp started going up so I started to pull over and YUP, I believe it blew, since it sounded like it seized and started smoking, left my *** out on the highway. Popped the hood and there was oil in the bay and on the bottom frame of the car. Not looking good man. I towed it to the shop and the dude that worked on it isnt there, so I don't want anyone working on the car, until he gets back. I have to go back tomorrow to see what he has to say.

This really sucks, I didnt put any funds on the side since I didnt really think this was going to happen. My money situation is tight so can't blow it on the car at the moment. If the mechanic insist on charging me again, I really don't want to deal with him. So wanted an opinion. Do you think selling the car as is would be a good idea? Or should I just put it away in a garage til I get the funds up?

Thanks for reading and your opinions.

Last edited by Colombian4Lyf; 10-05-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
Re: D17 is dead for now..

i say if worse comes to worse, put it away til you have the funds to fix it. since our motors are so cheap, it wouldnt be worth it to sell the car. thats just my opinion.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

miami_em2 will become famous soon enough

How would you get around with no car? IMO...get the car fixed. No point in selling it.
Old 10-05-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

"Rebuilt" engines tend to have warranties. Sounds like the motor spun a bearing.
If this was done reciently, then I'd make them fix it. You didn't source the motor, they did, and who ever sold it as "rebuilt" should cover the replacement.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it in the garage until you get the funds. D17 engines are not crazy money if you need to buy a new one. You're mechanic seems sketchy though but perhaps that motor you swapped in was not a healthy one to begin with. I'm sorry to hear about your problems though. We have all had some catastrophe at one point or another.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

skoot is an unknown quantity at this point

New engine about 700 bucks
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

You all made valid points.
Da1lyDr1ver, Boilermaker1 and ronaldo9 I think I'm going to go with what you said. Garage it and get the funds together.

miami_em2, no other car at this moment. So guess I'll be hitching a ride or public transportation for now, yea I know, sucks.
Old 10-05-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

i vote for keeping the car until you can scrap up the money for a new low milage used D.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Keep it and fix it. There are always D's for sale on here.
May even be time for a swap. Just a suggestion.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

I'll start searching for a used one. If the mechanic wants to be a dick, I'll do my best to get part of the money back. I'll have someone else do the build for me.
Thanks guys, hope I get it going before winter hits.
Old 10-05-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

tell them to fix it, then sell the car and get something else.
Old 10-05-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

have them fix it
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

Yea. I say make them fix it. They got the motor. I man it should have some type of warranty or something. I've seen D's on ebay for $250-$700 w/out shipping. Just gotta search. Good luck with it
Old 10-05-2007
Banned

7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about

i say make em fix it. how long has it been since they did the install, im sure theres at least a few thousand mile warranty on it at the LEAST. to cover work anyway.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

Thats true, it was done in May, so it ran good for 4 months. I'm headed to the shop tomorrow. I just called and they said he'll be in. Wish me luck, hopefully he won't be a ***** about it. If so, he'll be losing a lot of business, cuz I'll make a big deal about it.
Old 10-05-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Colombian4Lyf
You all made valid points.
Da1lyDr1ver, Boilermaker1 and ronaldo9 I think I'm going to go with what you said. Garage it and get the funds together.

miami_em2, no other car at this moment. So guess I'll be hitching a ride or public transportation for now, yea I know, sucks.
Figure out what happened first. If you have the ability to get the car home and into a garage, drop the oil pan, see whats in it. If there's metallic stuff in it, take the pump pickup and main girdle off and take a look at the crank and bearings. If you spun one and it damaged the crank badly, junk the motor. If it spun a bearing and didnt do too much damage, you might be able to rebuild it.

You can find D17s in the $300 range, they're cheap as hell.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

Thanks for the info Boilermaker1, my neighbor does a lot of engine work, currently doing a custom turbo install on an accord. He said, if the mechanic doesn't do it, he'll take a look at it, and if needed he'll help me locate a used motor between $275-$500, and put it together for me. Talk about luck..lol, I'll let you guys know what happens. Lets say I need to get another motor, I have an LX, can I drop in an EX? If so, would I just need the EX ecu?
Thanks for the info. Im starting to feel better already.

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Figure out what happened first. If you have the ability to get the car home and into a garage, drop the oil pan, see whats in it. If there's metallic stuff in it, take the pump pickup and main girdle off and take a look at the crank and bearings. If you spun one and it damaged the crank badly, junk the motor. If it spun a bearing and didnt do too much damage, you might be able to rebuild it.

You can find D17s in the $300 range, they're cheap as hell.
Old 10-05-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah just need ex ecu and make sure the new motor has the vtec solenoid and you have to run a wire from the solenoid to the ecu for vtec to work since lx does not have the harness wire. also you need the key that goes with the new ecu, or else honda needs to reprogram your old one (meaning car must be towed to dealer).
Old 10-05-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Thanks for the info Boilermaker1, my neighbor does a lot of engine work, currently doing a custom turbo install on an accord. He said, if the mechanic doesn't do it, he'll take a look at it, and if needed he'll help me locate a used motor between $275-$500, and put it together for me. Talk about luck..lol, I'll let you guys know what happens. Lets say I need to get another motor, I have an LX, can I drop in an EX? If so, would I just need the EX ecu?
Thanks for the info. Im starting to feel better already.

You'd just need the ECU and preferrably a full harness for it. If not, then you can just pin VTEC in.
I have an 01-03 EX ECU if you need it.
If it just turns out that you trashed a rod or something, I've got a set of pistons and rods too.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

you've got everything boiler....lol
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

ok I'll be sure to let you know if those parts are needed I'll get back to you about them. Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
You'd just need the ECU and preferrably a full harness for it. If not, then you can just pin VTEC in.
I have an 01-03 EX ECU if you need it.
If it just turns out that you trashed a rod or something, I've got a set of pistons and rods too.
Old 10-05-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by miami_em2
you've got everything boiler....lol
I only have about half of a car in extra parts. I'm trying to get rid of it so I can buy another whole car.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

Like what parts........
Old 10-05-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Click sig link
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice

Whats going on people? Yep you read correctly, originally my motor got flooded in a flash flood back in April. The car bent a rod and blew the valves. My mechanic (which is now under my he sucks category) swapped my motor with one from an 02 with 60k miles and "rebuilt" the engine, so he says.

Any who, everything was good, no check engine lights or anything, just 4days ago I started hearing a tick, (not a knock) at about 3500 rpm sounded like a valve so I took it back and he tells me he can fix it over the weekend, (which would be this weekend) so I was on my way. I figured I wouldn't push the car too hard. Oil is always checked and no burning or leaking was going on.

Well on Wednesday I was driving to work no prob and then started hearing the noise a little louder. I figured it wasn't good as it got worse, temp started going up so I started to pull over and YUP, I believe it blew, since it sounded like it seized and started smoking, left my *** out on the highway. Popped the hood and there was oil in the bay and on the bottom frame of the car. Not looking good man. I towed it to the shop and the dude that worked on it isnt there, so I don't want anyone working on the car, until he gets back. I have to go back tomorrow to see what he has to say.

This really sucks, I didnt put any funds on the side since I didnt really think this was going to happen. My money situation is tight so can't blow it on the car at the moment. If the mechanic insist on charging me again, I really don't want to deal with him. So wanted an opinion. Do you think selling the car as is would be a good idea? Or should I just put it away in a garage til I get the funds up?

Thanks for reading and your opinions.

That happened the same way to me. =(
that sucks mang I'd beat his *** lol
Old 10-07-2007
Registered!!

I got an update yesterday. The rod is bent and piston needs to be changed. He will start working on it on Monday. Said he will check everything else and get it fixed. So far he didnt mention anything about charging me, I reminded him that he did the rebuild, so don't see why I would need to pay again. If he did it right the first time, I would not be having this problem.
If I had extra cash I'd build it up in hopes to boost later. But thats not top priority for me right now. Wish me luck..
Old 10-09-2007
Registered!!

I got the results today. Mechanic said motor is gone, he said it cant be rebuilt. He asked if I wanted him to order another motor. I said fukc no, I'll find one myself and work with my neighbor on dropping it in. I'll finally get a chance to work along side and become more familiar.
How much I wish I had k20 funds, I'd do it in a heart beat. Since I'll be swapping the motor, I think I'll be looking for an ex motor. Wish me luck, I'll post some updates when I get started.
Old 10-09-2007
Premium Member

good luck try and find a cheap ex motor on ebay, they cant be more than $600 max.
Old 10-10-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
good luck try and find a cheap ex motor on ebay, they cant be more than $600 max.
Thanks, I'm still in the process and I think I found one source which is 2hrs away. I'll be calling them later today. I'll keep searching.
Old 10-10-2007
Registered!!

Derwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of sheer curiousity- why aren't you asking for your money back or for him to cover the cost of your rebuild?

Every mechanic I've ever gone to that has done a rebuild has been pretty good with saying that if anything goes wrong within x miles or x months, they'd fix it for free. I'd at least make him cover the cost of the replacement motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D17 is dead for now..