Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

4 Cylinder even worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jalexhall1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
4 Cylinder even worth the trouble?

Hi, i've got an 03 LX on my hands. It's only a 4 cylinder and i'm wondering if it's even worth getting Cold air intake mods and a new exhaust. My motto is go big or not at all, i'm not getting any cheap parts for this car so i'm going expensive. So my question is, with a new intake and exhaust, would i reallly see a noticable amount of performance? i have a whole list of idea's for this car but not a whole lot of money so i'm trying not to do anything too stupid haha
-Alex
Old 06-17-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Unless you consider 3-5 HP from an intake and full exhaust system big gains, then no
Old 06-17-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
So then don't go at all, because you will be wasting money on cold air and exhaust do nothing but make it louder. Turbo or swap are the only options to make the civic fast, unless you fully build the d17, but IMO not worth it.
Old 06-17-2006
Registered!!

Well, i really do'nt have the money to swap, and i'm probaby not near experienced to install turbo
Old 06-17-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the sound is nice!
Old 06-18-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
looks lie your sol then. unless you go nitrious. its fairly cheap and easy mod.
Old 06-18-2006
"You leave me in the trenches taking Grenades, John"

Stachmo is an unknown quantity at this point
on a d17 bolt ons are not worth it at all, Im so glad that I didnt waste any money on an intake, header, or exhaust. Together if we're lucky you'd pull another 5whp from those.

If you had a 4cyl like the k20a2 from the rsx type s....thats another story
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

Other than horsepower, would there be any sort of gain at all? such as gas mileage?
Old 06-18-2006

I think maybe 1 mpg better with a good intake....I think
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

hahaha.. i'm trying to look on the bright side of things as you can tell.. but 800$ for 3-5 hp and 1 mpg.. not quite worth it. now, 800$ on suspension and speakers! completely woth it
Old 06-18-2006

Originally Posted by jalexhall1989
hahaha.. i'm trying to look on the bright side of things as you can tell.. but 800$ for 3-5 hp and 1 mpg.. not quite worth it. now, 800$ on suspension and speakers! completely woth it
with a 7thgen civic, you are dead on the money. Throw that bolt on money into suspension mods and ice (in car electronics) and you'll be happier
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

take from your profile that's what you did huh?
Old 06-18-2006

take from your profile that's what you did huh?
yeah, from a very mild standpoint though. I dont really have much done to my car. Minor suspension stuff and some visual mods.
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
the other mod you can do is, trade in your car for a faster one...lol.
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

jrb121180 will become famous soon enough
yeah all a CAI an exhaust is make it sound sweet. cant really notice much HP gain. save up and get a turbo. but remember these little 3-5 HP gains add up in the end.
Old 06-18-2006

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
thats the plan ...............sssshhhh!!
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

sean4389 is an unknown quantity at this point
Imo

IMO i got my AEM V2 in yesterday for my 02 LX coupe. Before it was really lacking on the bottom end and in between gears. after installing the intake, its cleared up the lag spots. its easier and smoother from a dead stop ( i have a 5 speed), it pulls much harder in the 4500-5000 rpm range, and when between gears, it stays in the power band a little more. idk if i jus got a good one or if everyone experiences this, but i think it was well worth the $250. Idk bout hp gains but honestly, our cars arent fast anyway. oh yea it sounds freakin sick too, when high in the rpms. jus my opinion so dont flame me
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
I totally agree with sean4389. I have the aem v2 as well on my EX and I have nothing bad to say about it even though its short ram. Before I had a generic ebay CAI and that was cool but after the V2 install wow the grunt that thing makes when you punch it only someone who's experienced this knows what I'm talking about. Everyone knows that bolt-ons don't do much for our d17's but it def makes the car more fun to drive and that has some intrinsic value in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

KINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to all
get your internals if you plan on getting any real gains
Old 06-21-2006
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
lol you're going to get expensive parts for this car but you can't afford a turbo kit? so what is your definition of expensive, then? go big or not at all? don't go at all. do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
maybe he has the stay out of jail card?

yea, your best bet on these cars is to get suspension done first, make it handle around corners really good, then work on power...IMO of course
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

depotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura about
my sig says it all
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

KINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to all
^^^ I disagree, any car can be made fast. I think most of us just cant afford to do what it takes to make the car fast. i.e. ( Swap, Internals, Turbo, Tune)
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

Thwapp is an unknown quantity at this point
is this situation the same one I'm in with my 05 Civic? I'm hurting really bad with 115 hp as rated by Honda.. I have ideas for the car (all of them really expensive) but I'm not sure how to go about it.. it'd be nice to see at least 300 hp out of it...
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

depotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura about
Im wondering if if its even worth the extra $6-$10 thousand to upgrade our engines. Or would it be better to use that money towards a new car?
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

HondaSaurusLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TemjinX2

I say get a CAI, it sho nuff gives you a better view of your engine once you take all that stock intake assembly crud off. Hey you might even save 2lbs of weight.. ha... After I installed my K&N CAI I didn't notice much improvement in performance and no improvement in fuel economy....

Originally Posted by depotcivic
Im wondering if if its even worth the extra $6-$10 thousand to upgrade our engines. Or would it be better to use that money towards a new car?

Depends on how much you like your car.. I don't think it is ever a good financial move to spend thousands of dollars upgradeing a Honda Civic or 99% of cars out there for that matter, unless of course you are making good money racing..

Last edited by HondaSaurusLX; 06-21-2006 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

true.
Old 06-21-2006
Creative Mind Extraodinare

Graphicdude will become famous soon enoughGraphicdude will become famous soon enough
Well, i really do'nt have the money to swap, and i'm probaby not near experienced to install turbo
Your confunsing me, you say go big or not at all and no cheap parts, but then you say you have no money? SO what is your budget then? Even if you don't do an engien swap and mod the enternals to gain big HP, you are still looking at 5Gs or more.
Old 06-21-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
This has been said many times before, and I'll repeat it. The only ways to get any kind of gains out of our engines are boost or new internals, neither of which are cheap, or go with a completely new engine altogether, which is even more expensive. It all boils down to how much you like this car. To be frank, the Civic was, is, and will always be an economy car. Honda did a very good job tuning this little engine to it's maximum performance as it sits in our cars. I'm not saying it can't be built to perform, but there are certain inherant difficulties that arise when you build a car up to do something other than what it was designed for. Say you have X amount of dollars. If you want a racer, then take your X dollars and put them towards a nice, RWD coupe or roadster, i.e. 350Z or S2000. Those are track cars. All cars are built to perform, just in different theaters. Those cars don't produce the mileage or daily-driveability of a 'vic, and a 'vic can't touch either one of those cars on the track.

If you're saying you don't have the experience necessary to install a turbo, then I'd bet it's safe to assume you don't have the expertise to pull the engine and rebuild it with completely new internals, either. And you don't have the money to do a swap, and of course you wouldn't be able to do that yourself. So any way you look at it, if you want performance, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and go to a third party. It will be more expensive, but I think you'll view the results in a favorable light.

If you don't need a fast car, you just want something fun to drive that returns good mileage and you can still work on and play with in the garage, then this is the car for you. In my opinion, Hondas are some of the easiest cars out there to work on. Things are just put together in a logical manner. There are all kinds of aftermarket parts in other areas that can turn your car into a great one, be it suspension, electronics, etc. It's all up to you.
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
basically for sounds

Quick Reply: 4 Cylinder even worth the trouble?