Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Can an Automatic backfire???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White0nGold has a spectacular aura aboutWhite0nGold has a spectacular aura about
Can an Automatic backfire???

ok so last nite i was on the 101 heading to hollywood, i just installed a new muffler (thanks 2 yourinmyw0rld) anyways, it was a used muffler by the way, i've had it installed since sunday, and i've brought my car up to 60mph already, but last nite i was on the freeway right? i was doing about 80, and i doubled peddeled the gas so my rpms would go down, and i heard a POP! at first i was thinking it was my tire, but my car didnt shake or nothing, and it kinda came out from the exhaust, or so it sounded like? so was that a backfire???? call me a noob if i think this*, and how does a backfire actually happen???
Old 10-27-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
backfire.. no I think you may have leaned out possibly and it was detonation
Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

05civicexse is an unknown quantity at this point
nooo, that happend to turbo cars. my 05 ex does it now and then. when i downshift or free rev it will backfire once in a while. sounds like a thump on the floor. i know the noise youre talkin about. my cars pretty heavily modded besides what it says in my profile. its not turbo or nething tho. what makes it make this noise??
Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

isuzu5000 will become famous soon enoughisuzu5000 will become famous soon enough
It doesn't just happen to turboed cars. There are two main things that can cause this condition. First is a low fuel pressure condition. Full fuel pressure is needed under load, check fuel pressure under load it should stay between 35-45 pounds if not replace the fuel pump. Second is the ignition system. If the ignition system is worn it can misfire causing the backfire you describe. Check your spark plugs and ignition coils, replace as needed.
Old 10-28-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
my car makes poppin noises from the exhaust mainly when i let off the gas and let the revs fall itll go pop pop pop pop pop pop pop it sounds cool and everynow and then i can get a loud pop when i let off the gas inbetween shifts
Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

White0nGold has a spectacular aura aboutWhite0nGold has a spectacular aura about
haha, mugenman, i like doing that too, when it goes pop pop pop pop pop
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

mine doesnt go pop pop pop pop pop... wtf i have it modded??! i want pop pop pop
Old 10-29-2005
Ill punch you in the face before you visit Myspace

SinaloaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ same here!!!
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

if ur using a MT car, i think it would happen when u downshift, and lift the clutch a bit so that it slows u down, and i guess it also depends on ur exhaust, i have a tanabe style exhaust, real deep tone
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by White0nGold
if ur using a MT car, i think it would happen when u downshift, and lift the clutch a bit so that it slows u down, and i guess it also depends on ur exhaust, i have a tanabe style exhaust, real deep tone
i have 5 spd. race header, no cat, cat back magnaflow. low tone also
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

so does urs go pop pop pop pop pop pop?
Old 10-29-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
my auto never does that. I have I/H/E pnp head and i've never heard any pop.
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe a backfire is caused when excess fuel enters the exhaust system and ignites, thus causing the bang. A misfire in a cylinder could cause the unburnt fuel/air mixture to be expelled from the cylinder and once it reaches the exhaust system, the heat causes it to ignite. Often when cars are very poorly tuned and are running excessivly rich you get a lot of backfires because not all of the fuel is burning in the cylinder. I've also heard that for some racing applications backfires are purposely induced to keep turbos spooled up. I could be wrong though....
Old 10-29-2005
You gotta be as blind as Anne Frank not to see that

ddevil0013 is on a distinguished road
on my bike, r6, it always goes pop pop pop when i downshift at higher speeds and use the engine to slow the bike down..i have a slip on so i think it def depends on the exhaust
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by White0nGold
so does urs go pop pop pop pop pop pop?
no mine doesnt go pop pop pop pop pop pop... and i have aem cai, ported and polished throttle body, throttle body spacer. race header, no cat, and a 2.5 inch magnaflow cat-back.... i think mine should go pop pop pop pop pop.
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

stupid question. is there any reason to tune my car?? its an 05, but its modded a bit. i really do not know how its running, its pretty quick. think my local shop with a dyno will tune it?? i really dont know that much about tuning?? any suggestions?
Old 10-30-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
first you need something to tune with. I had a vafc to adjust air/fuel, but took it out. It didn't really help at all.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

still have it? want to sell?
Old 10-30-2005
Premium Member

ya i do actually. someone was gonna buy it last week but I haven't heard back. It works and all, but with my mods they all cancelled the stock richness and the a/f is pretty good by itself. Comes with everything even box and instructions. (Will include correct instructions from an old post on 7thgen). How about $250 shipped?
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

so what does the vafc do? what does it stand for? i was thinking it was only for "boosted" people, i know call me a noob, but yea
Old 10-30-2005
Premium Member

no its mostly for na actually. boost you want something better like aem ems or emanage. it stands for vtec control air flow converter. It lets you adjust at what rpm the vtec shifts to hi cam and also lets you add or subtract fuel at 100rpm increments. So if you're running lean with your mods, you add fuel and make more power. everything is best done on the dyno so you can see what settings give more hp. It also monitors alot of engine functions, like voltage, rpm, throttle position, correction, and more. and it has a vtec light that goes from green to red when vtec kicks in.
Old 10-30-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 05civicexse
nooo, that happend to turbo cars. my 05 ex does it now and then. when i downshift or free rev it will backfire once in a while. sounds like a thump on the floor. i know the noise youre talkin about. my cars pretty heavily modded besides what it says in my profile. its not turbo or nething tho. what makes it make this noise??
lol.... this is from your profile...

AEM CAI, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Megan racing downpipe, Vortex Throttle body spacer, Ported and polished throttle body, race header.

You can that heavily modded?!?! LOL! You need to step away from 7th gen civics my friend.
Old 10-30-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
blahman read his post, it says heavily modded besides what is in his profile.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

i got a n0n-vtec, so the vafc is no good for me?
Old 10-30-2005
Premium Member

apexi makes the SAFCII for you, which is exactly the same thing except without vtec control, just air/fuel.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

and is having safcII REally really worth it??, what changes would i notice? (sorry for the questions) but im a noob at this vafc, and safc, thang
Old 10-30-2005
Premium Member

its just an add-on computer. it changes the air/fuel ratio. Normally most cars run rich (too much gas and too little air). This is better for emissions I think but not for power or engine operation. You want an ideal ratio of 14.7:1 and thats what you tune on the dyno by adding or removing fuel. Most members who tune IHE mods with a manual civic get around 10whp.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone whose exhaust makes the pop pop pop pop noise when the engine revs down is in my new crew callled the rice krispies (snap, crackle, pop)
Old 10-30-2005
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Rice krispies? ROFL that was a good one.

with an emphasis on "Rice" I guess?

Old 10-30-2005
I'll flip out and kill people.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned
pretty sure most cars do backfire a little, or at least pop. ever hear a car that's straight headers? used to have an old 88 or 89 prelude in auto shop, took the exhaust off one day and it sounded meaner than a harley, with lots of pops and such. just about any car without mufflers/cat will pop and backfire. the muffler does just that, and muffles the loud pops and of course the exhaust noise. that may, at least, play a small part.

Quick Reply: Can an Automatic backfire???