Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Alarms Do Not Work!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thekuai will become famous soon enoughthekuai will become famous soon enough
Alarms Do Not Work!

I was originally contemplating the purchase of a vipe 791Ix or whatever its called or comustar 2fm900-as or whatever its called when i stumbled upon this:

http://www.transalt.org/info/caralarms/report.pdf

So now im thinking of getting a passive honda factory alarm since most false alarms are due to motion or shock sensors. A passive alarm triggers when a door is opened and has no shock sensors. Also insurance companies offer higher discounts for passive vs active alarms.

Interesting: In a survey only 1% of people who hear car alarms say they would call the police. When was the last you actually paid attention to an alarm?

Another question: Does honda have a factory remote start accessory for 7th gen civics? My dealer said they have it.
Old 03-08-2005
One Slow Civic.... But I can take turns pretty well :-)

Blahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trusted
you can buy an aftermarket remote start, and keyless entry. It should work with honda's oem alarm.
Old 03-08-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by thekuai
I was originally contemplating the purchase of a vipe 791Ix or whatever its called or comustar 2fm900-as or whatever its called when i stumbled upon this:

http://www.transalt.org/info/caralarms/report.pdf

So now im thinking of getting a passive honda factory alarm since most false alarms are due to motion or shock sensors. A passive alarm triggers when a door is opened and has no shock sensors. Also insurance companies offer higher discounts for passive vs active alarms.

Interesting: In a survey only 1% of people who hear car alarms say they would call the police. When was the last you actually paid attention to an alarm?

Another question: Does honda have a factory remote start accessory for 7th gen civics? My dealer said they have it.
um, those alarms you mentioned have the ability to be passive or active. I keep mine on active only because I like the siren and its not like other annoyin sirens. The 2-way alarms you were thinking of also tells u when the doors are being opened. You can program it to use the siren only when doors unlock. They also can be armed when trunk is being opened and hood being opened, but thats optional. So I dont know what this thread is about. Those alarms you were thinking about can be set to passive mode or active. When you dont want it siren to work, it also can do that.
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

if you read the article the point is that an audible alarm is nothing more than a piece of mind. an alarm will not deter a theft only delay him a minute. no one pays attention to alarms. and noone answered my question if they have honda oem remote starters for 7th gen civics.
Old 03-08-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
insurance likes OEM cause OEM was meant for the car, works better, and works with 0 risk of cheap and unreliable hardware. thats why insurance favors oem in this and most cases.
Old 03-09-2005
Victory is Mine!

justplainbad is on a distinguished road
if you read the article the point is that an audible alarm is nothing more than a piece of mind. an alarm will not deter a theft only delay him a minute. no one pays attention to alarms. and noone answered my question if they have honda oem remote starters for 7th gen civics.
I've installed the system you were questioning buying, and it is true, no one pays attention to alarm sirens. The 791XV has the option to customize the siren so that you can discern your alarm from all the others, also the 2 way pager lets you know whats going on with your car. Other people don't care if your alarm is going off, but if YOU know your alarm is going off...thats different isnt it?
Old 03-09-2005
Registered!!

can anyone find out if honda has oem remote start?
Old 03-09-2005
Superior Evolutionary Element Destined-factor

Xenin is an unknown quantity at this point
why dont you go to the website and see if its an accessory or call your local dealer and find out.
Old 03-09-2005
Stage7 VP

Fiji-Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
can anyone find out if honda has oem remote start?
no sir, i dont think so....

but yeah, i think you would prolly spend more integrating a bunch of crap into your factory setup than you would just buyin a good alarm system...

I have the viper 791, love it, and yeah bro, you can set it to passive mode, or just disarm certain zones...lol when i first got mine i used to hit the arm button twice cause it made a funny chirp, then i realized that funny chirp was telling me that i had just disarmed one of the zones....
Old 03-09-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
i have the compustar and it's great. the 2way is great because you'll know if your cars being tampered with. only thing sucks is it's like a cell phone the signal can get lost. all options have the ability to be turned off as well as valet mode.
Old 03-09-2005
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
ye... 2way paging alarms are ur best bet. Most people wont even look twice when a siren is going off in a parking lot. Atleast with a pager, you know something is happening with your car.
Old 03-09-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
yep, the 2-way is definately better than oem. are you not listening? you can turn the siren off, or if you dont like the siren, just dont mount it. All you do is turn ignition to number II then press couple of buttons and the same if you want to turn on the siren. Either way, the 2-way will stick work.
Old 03-09-2005
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
That article is extremely biased. And it uses facts that are dubious at best.

It is nice that not once did it address the real issue, err CRIME!

I hope his car gets vandalized while sitting in its high priced security garage.
Old 03-09-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Honda DOES NOT offer a remote start for any of their cars. period. any remote start the dealer will install is aftermarket. I personally have a 790xv, why? because i like that i can unlock my doors, remote start my car, pop open my trunk and roll down my windows. Honda doesnt even offer half of those things. I don't care if anyone hears my alarm, i already know that people aren't gonna care, but I do. I don't have a closed garage, but my pager will most definately wake me up in the middle of the night if someone were to set off my car, and with the amount of money I've spent on my car, it is most definately PEACE of mind.
Old 03-09-2005
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
hmm, i have an aftermarket alarm......dont really pay attention to when others go off and never really thought about getting a honda one.
Old 03-09-2005
One Slow Civic.... But I can take turns pretty well :-)

Blahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trusted
alarms are ment to make noise, and bring attention to a car, they arn't ment to actually stop the theif. If some one is stealing your wheels and you have a passive alarm, There goes your wheels without noise and a thief just got your ****.
Old 03-09-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the honda alarm and a aftermarket =-)
Old 03-09-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
i think every aftermarket alarm has a passive mode. OEM alarm does nothing but beep the horn when the car door is open without a key or remote. aka someone smashes your window and opens the door from the inside.

With an aftermarket alarm, the alarm will sound and YOU will be notified as soon as the glass was broken. Im saying YOU becuase i think most car thefts occur outside of your house or somewhere when you are CLOSE enough to hear it.

If your alarm goes off in a public place of course ppl are going to atleast look over to see whats going on. The part where most ppl dont bother to look or call the police is when the car is outside of their house while they are sleeping. In this case you should be able to hear it too living in the same area.

Alarms like any other security device are just deterrants anyway. The more deterrants the better.