Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

How not to fishtail in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shmeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry How not to fishtail in the snow...

I'm a very sporty driver and I like to play around a lot, so I was pretty happy to see a layer of snow dropped in Boston this morning. There's a parking lot near my house that I played in a bit before work. During lunch I went out to run some errands and pulled the e-brake in a snowy parking lot to spin aruond and park. Well, seeing there were obstacles around (not cars or people), I took it too easy and didn't have enough speed when I pulled the brake to spin teh car, instead I just slid sideways and hit a damn pole in the parking lot.

I mashed up my passenger side fender and split part of my bumper (luckily didn't break it - anyone know if a slightly cracked bumper can be fixed?) and got a bunch of yellow paint on my car. Luckily it wasn't too bad. Gonna get an estimate later this week.

Waht kind of stupid stuff did you do to mess up your cars?
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Nothing that stupid
Old 12-02-2003
Mr. Negative
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by JDog2001CivicEX
Nothing that stupid
Exactly. You deserve that. lease:
Old 12-02-2003
The dog told me to do it

Explosivo is an unknown quantity at this point
**speechless**

drive much?
Old 12-02-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
well... if you woulda read my post in the track/street/strip forum, you woulda found this...linky
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Are the majority of the posters here ******? Look, I never suggested I didn't deserve it and I said it was stupid - I don't need you to point that out. I've been fishtailing in the snow for many, many years and this is the first time I've ever hit anything. I'm not a 16-yr old kid that was ignorant... I'm a bit older and ignorant.

How about some useful posts (aside from WannaBWRC)?
Old 12-02-2003
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
pole owned u...

edit: Usefull info... Go to a shop and ask questions
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

IRT WannaBWRC
I would have been alright if I wasn't too cautious and went into the slide too slowly. I did also make the mistake of hitting the brakes hard and hot hitting the gas. I think it was too early in the winter for me to play around poles.

And it wasn't a tragic accident. I think it'll only be aronud $400 to fix.
Old 12-02-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
well, learn from experience, if you read later on im my post, it says something about KNOWING what your car is capable of doing, and try to use a beater
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
Damn...that sucks!

But nonetheless you deserved that. I'll say it'll cost you a couple bills. Or just replace the whole bumper with a kit or something.
Old 12-02-2003
Premium Member

civicdude will become famous soon enough
moving to members rides
Old 12-02-2003
www.AbsouluteDriven.com

obtix is an unknown quantity at this point
Ha Ha

You, my friend are todays "special person!"
Old 12-02-2003
where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on deals...

muzhik will become famous soon enoughmuzhik will become famous soon enough
here's my story:

my sister was learning how to drive a car; so we went out on off road first on like 2 acre's of land and there was 1 tree in the middle of it and guess what - she hit the tree -

j/k

sorry to hear that bro, I've has some stupid accidents of myself that I had to spit out few bills
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

showoner is an unknown quantity at this point
well did you even see the pole? if so why did you continue? what was going thru your head at the precise moment of impact?di you wanna kick yourself in the nads for even think'n you have control over the macpherson strut suspension taking on snow? god your an idiot !-----
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by showoner
well did you even see the pole?
Yes but it far enough away and shouldn't have been a problem if I had more speed like I mentioned.

if so why did you continue?
I was sliding into it when I realized it'd be a problem and beleive me I was trying to stop.

what was going thru your head at the precise moment of impact?
"That sucks." It's nothing catastrophic, just some minor damage.

di you wanna kick yourself in the nads for even think'n you have control over the macpherson strut suspension taking on snow?
Nope because as I said, I've done it a million times before.

god your an idiot !-----
Looks like I'll fit in here!

[added]

Damn the quotes are huge here...
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

showoner is an unknown quantity at this point
"Looks like I'll fit in here! "-
but of course .........................
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

keffin will become famous soon enoughkeffin will become famous soon enough
friken noob, glad you didnt hit anything that was ALIVE
Old 12-02-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
And it wasn't a tragic accident. I think it'll only be aronud $400 to fix.
YOU WISH. What fantasy body shop do you live near?

You cracked the bumper. That means you need a new one. $500-600
You smashed the fender. Its usually easier to replace them then fix a severely mangled one. $400-500
Brackets, fasteners, dissassembly and reassembly - $300
LCA inspection, front end realignment - $100
LCA Broken - $300-$400

So there's my fairly accurate estimate on your "minor" act of stupidity.
Now that you learned your lesson, just don't do stupid stuff like ebrake donuts in a parking lot anymore.
Old 12-02-2003
Pimp Juice Distributor

Location: Dallas, Tx but now Virginia Beach, VA 'cause of job...
SeCosCiV is an unknown quantity at this point

Mayn, dont feel bad I f'd my car up too. Chalk it up to a learning experience.
Old 12-02-2003
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
wow, that was stupid. last winter, when i was coming around a turn and my car slid on some ice and i dented my fender when the car slid into a mailbox, the cost for repair was $800. there was a big dent in the fender that they could not pull out, so they had to buy a new one and paint it. the fender was the cheap part, the expensive part was the painting of the fender, brackets, fitting, labor, and most expensive was the blending to get the fender to match the color of the rest of the car.
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by keffin
friken noob, glad you didnt hit anything that was ALIVE
A lot of you guys are morons. Like I said, there were no cars or people around. You guys should have a DIY for reading comprehension.

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
So there's my fairly accurate estimate on your "minor" act of stupidity.
Now that you learned your lesson, just don't do stupid stuff like ebrake donuts in a parking lot anymore.
Whatever mom. lease:

And the bumper has a SMALL crack on it on the upper passenger side corner near the end, so I don't think I'll need a new bumper at all. It's plastic so there's no concern of corrosion. Believe me, if the crack can't be smoothed over, it won't be worth a $500-$600 bumper to fix it.

I also know a body shop that does excellent work and charges me very reasonable rates. When my car had 750 miles on it, someone keyed my passenger quarterpanel and when it had 1500 miles, some moron hit it while it was parked in a parking garage on the other side. In order to fix both sections, including fixing the key mark, fixing the dents where the car hit mine around my driver's side rear wheel well, paint and match, he was going to charge me $250.

It may not be $400, it could be $1200. Whatever. I know what I was doing had risks, I messed up and hit something and I'll pay to fix it. I don't need any ********* trying to tell me how dumb it was or tell me that "I've learned my lesson." Shut up. I already said it was stupid in the first post and was just sharing a stupid story - how brilliant for you to tell me it was stupid. lease:
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

keffin will become famous soon enoughkeffin will become famous soon enough
A lot of you guys are morons. Like I said, there were no cars or people around. You guys should have a DIY for reading comprehension.
I don't need any ********* trying to tell me how dumb it was or tell me that "I've learned my lesson." Shut up. I already said it was stupid in the first post and was just sharing a stupid story - how brilliant for you to tell me it was stupid.

THEN DON'T BE A SH.ITHEAD YOURSELF!!!!

see, i made a post the other day about some ricer, and you came on and wrote back in a friken sarcastic manner....

SEE! now you know how it feels to post something, and have people bash on you, and make stupid remarks to you!!!!!

"what goes around comes around"
"do to others, like you would want others to do to you"

so yea! just some helpful advise!

so.... good luck with fixing your car, hope it dosnt cost much,
glad you are okay, and DRIVE SAFE!
Old 12-02-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

hey dont grill the guy, the first snowfall is like the first 10 min of rain, the traction is VERY unpredictable, with experience you can somewhat anticipate what the handling is like, you gotta fall down before u learn to ride a bike, same deal
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
One of these days I'm going to do searches on every person that makes fun of someone. And find the post in which they themselves did something stupid. I'm willing to bet most people who have snow in their area have done a doughnut or two. I mean it's not like he was out in traffic endangering anyone. The guy was in a pretty controlled area and misjudged. At least he can admit that he messed up. Unless you have never done anything stupid in your car...I think you need to reevaluate your flames.

Edit: Typos
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shmeb....althogh we do seem to have a large amount of young di(kweeds who can barely drive themselves but like to flame...we do have quite a few knowledgable mature members as well. Welcome to the site...don't let the kids bug you.

As for the people calling people noobs...just because you have post whored your way to an higher ranking doesn't make you any more intelligent than the person with 5 posts.
Old 12-02-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You know... if you don't want to get made fun of for doing something so blatantly stupid, then just keep your damn mouth shut to begin with. If you're gonna post it, then just put your flame suit on and take it. Its your own damn fault for putting yourself in the gauntlet.
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
You know... if you don't want to get made fun of for doing something so blatantly stupid, then just keep your damn mouth shut to begin with.
I wouldn't have minded if any of the comments were more interesting than, "that was stupid."

IRT Drnknmnky
I know there are a lot of decent members here. I've seen enough to keep checking this place out. It's the other ones that amaze me.
Old 12-03-2003
Registered!!

Well, it looks like we were all wrong...

I went to see the autobody guy today to get a quote. He had previously quoted me $250 for the key mark and the scuff from the parking lot incident. He looked at the front damage and said he'd most likely be able to repair the crack in the bumper (even if he can't, it's so small I'll just leave it as-is) and he might be able to save the fender. For the front he quoted $300 and to repair all of the damage he quoted me $500. He said that if he can't save the fender, he'd just charge me for the fender.

Soo... that little stunt really only cost me $250 (since I was paying $250 to fix the otehr stuff). Was messing around in the snow for the past 4-5 years worth $250? You bet your *** it was!

For those with no imagination, feel free to use the standard, "You're an idiot", "n00b", "moron", etc comments.
Old 12-03-2003
Registered!!

AdamYYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Every day I see people taking a crap on somebody in the forum. People dont need to rub his face in it. I for one am sorry the guy hit the pole. He was just having a little fun and had an accident and now he has to pay for it. Atleast he wasnt doing it on residential streets. He did it in a much more open, controlled and vacant environment. So, good luck fixing your car. Hope it doesnt set you back too much.

I hate to be "that guy" trying to preach to everyone. But it needs to be said. And while I'm on the topic, taking a crap on somebody for a "repost" or not searching first is also not needed. Some people arent very internet savvy and people need to show more understanding. If its a repost, dont reply. It only keeps the topic at the top of the pile. If somebody asks "Whats with the service engine light" either find a link, keep quiet or kindly ask them to use the search button.

This place would be a little bit more pleasnt if people didnt try and make eachother feel stupid.
Old 12-03-2003
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
I did this last winter

Quick Reply: How not to fishtail in the snow...