Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Reliable manufacturer for replacement components?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mwhit0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Reliable manufacturer for replacement components?

My '02 ES2 EX is rusted to **** near the front and rear wheels (underbody is somehow ok-ish). Tie rod ends look frightening, grease boots are totally cracked--same is the case for the ball joints, & sway bar links. Hell probably the sway bar bushings as well. I'm figuring I ought to replace the tie rods (inner, outer), sway bar links, ball joints, and front control arm bushings (would the sway bar bushings themselves be worthwhile if I'm gonna do all the rest of this?).

Real question here is: where do I get the s**t from? I'm trying to stay within a pretty low price range, but still a product that won't result in an accident due to failure. Ebay has several "sets" of full suspension components for this car, very affordable all things considered, but I've heard horror stories of tie rod ends flying out at highway speeds, and sway bars plowing right through the tires and such--clearly, that's something I want to avoid...without breaking the bank. On RockAuto I've filled a cart with a bunch of Mevotech [Supreme/blue-boot] parts, which a few people on YouTube recommend, but I can find very little information on the brand online, especially in relation to Honda. I can't afford OEM, so anybody got any suggestions as to a practical replacement manufacturer for [rather critical] suspension/steering components? (I'd go MOOG but I work at AutoZone and hear nothing but bad luck with MOOG anymore). Thanks to any who took the time to read!
Old 04-24-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Reliable manufacturer for replacement components?

Mevotech is good, I used beck/arnley balljoints on my other 05 and they were good.
With RockAuto I would never personally buy anything in the "economy" section just for my own peace of mind.
Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

I would use Moog. I’ve always had great luck with Moog. Moog parts are a bit expensive, but worth every penny IMO. Mevotech is okay too, but IMO, not as good as Moog. Stay away from no name parts at all costs. Suspension is something you don’t cheap out on.
Old 04-24-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for counterfeit brand name parts (a huge problem), and brands you ALMOST heard of.

research research research

Google something like 'how to identify counterfeit moog parts', or how to identify counterfeit brembo brake rotors', etc. Pick a brand and go

Bearings (Timken, SKF, etc) are another item that's often counterfeit, or just plain junk.
Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Watch out for counterfeit brand name parts (a huge problem), and brands you ALMOST heard of.

research research research

Google something like 'how to identify counterfeit moog parts', or how to identify counterfeit brembo brake rotors', etc. Pick a brand and go

Bearings (Timken, SKF, etc) are another item that's often counterfeit, or just plain junk.
Great point. Also, regardless of brand, any company, (even reputable companies) can make a flawed part, so research that specific part before buying it if you aren’t sure.