Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Re doing my whole suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlowboyZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re doing my whole suspension

I already have new shocks and struts, ball joint, control arms. I'm trying to figure out how many bushings does each control arm have? I'm going on a road trip and I bought a front suspension kit. Anything else that I'm missing when I'm getting new parts for suspension? I'm just looking for stock performance.
Old 04-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re doing my whole suspension

I'm trying to figure out how many bushings does each control arm have?
Each front lower control arm has 2 bushings.
The bushing at the front of the arm (the larger of the two), called the compliance bushing, is the one that frequently goes bad and causes knocking noises as the LCA comes in contact with the front subframe.

You may need swaybar links, they might get destroyed taking the LCAs off.
Also, wheel alignment after the suspension is done, before the road trip. Don't want to eat up a set of tires.
Old 04-13-2017
Registered!!

SlowboyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Each front lower control arm has 2 bushings.
The bushing at the front of the arm (the larger of the two), called the compliance bushing, is the one that frequently goes bad and causes knocking noises as the LCA comes in contact with the front subframe.

You may need swaybar links, they might get destroyed taking the LCAs off.
Also, wheel alignment after the suspension is done, before the road trip. Don't want to eat up a set of tires.
Thanks for the reply ezone. Did I get it all parts correctly when it comes to the suspension? Struts, shocks, LCA, bushings, ball joints, tie rods. I'm assuming new LCA come with new bushings.
Old 04-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SlowboyZ
Thanks for the reply ezone. Did I get it all parts correctly when it comes to the suspension? Struts, shocks, LCA, bushings, ball joints, tie rods.
Depends.

How many of the suspension parts ACTUALLY have issues/needs replaced? (thinking overkill unless it needs everything LOL)
Of what quality are the replacement parts?
I'm assuming new LCA come with new bushings.
You said you already have the new parts...open the box and look.

==================

A friend gave me a set of ball joints for my truck....along with some other suspension parts (from a parts store that is open on Sunday ).

The ball joints on my truck right now are original, the boots are torn but the ball joints themselves are still good.
I have a little over 150k on my truck.

The new parts are made in China.
Would the new Chinese parts fail sooner than the originals would (made in Japan) if I left them as-is? How much sooner....they might fail in 30k?
I don't trust white-box-made-in-China parts. These were FREE to me and I still don't want to install them.

I might consider swapping out the new rubber boots and keep the original joints though.
Old 04-14-2017
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't have the lower control arm parts.... I would look at rockauto and just buy a whole lower control arm with bushings already.