Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Ride Height in Canadian Conditions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flip114 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Ride Height in Canadian Conditions

I reccently put 17" rims with 215/45/17 Potenza tires (pretty happy, but sad cause it feels alot slower now) on my 2k1 civic sedan.

I live in Toronto CANADA where we get 1' of snow at least during winter times, I wanna lower my car about two inches so it looks even better. BUt i don't want it to be too low so that the car touches the salty road. Therefore i am leaning towards coilovers, which i have read to be terrible in salty conditions.

I plan on getting a body kit next summer so I don't want my car to be super low that the salt and slow will eat at it. I just want my ride height be nice and comfortable.

So Should I:
a.) Buy Neuspeed or H&R lowering springs for now, and worry about the snow later.
b.) Save my money and buy Tien SS coilovers. (I also read that coilovers are bad in snow since the salt will corrode the sleeve and among other stuff). Anybody with Tiens using them in CANADA? How are they in the snow?
c.)Or ride on my stock springs and struts and hope that the body kit gives it the lowered kit and still have decent clearence and not plow the snow.
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

papi2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point
you know i was wondering the same thing... i dunno what to get yet couse of snow and salt and stuff.... but i think coilovers are the best....there has to be a way to maintain them so they dont corrode
Old 05-13-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, the only thing you can do is grease the threads on the coilovers. Maybe wash them with WD-40 every now and then and re-grease the threads. That's about it. Maybe encase the threads in some plastic or rubber sleeve after greasing them? Something like that. The rest of the coilover will be fine. It's just the height adjusting threads that you should worry about IMO.
Old 05-14-2003
Registered!!

AznHalfy is an unknown quantity at this point
Firstly, Toronto's winters are hardly winters in Canada ... the snow there is minimal (at least downtown, Markham and Scarbourogh are another story)

But here's the low down for you;

1) if your gonna put a kit, and lower it 2 inches ... you will be for sure slammed like a ****. 2" drop will probably leave you with about a 1 finger gap front and rear. Goldlines is a good quality spring, and cheap for about a 1.7"-2" drop.

Definetely, a drop with coilovers will be the best also the most expensive. And your right about the potential issues with the threads getting all ceased up.

I think your best bet, since it is an all year driven car, would be to maybe do a 1.4" drop with the Eibach Sportlines. This will give you the dropped look without causing many problems being "Mr.Plow" in the winter.

Generally, a kit will make the car look lower so a 1.4" drop (although doesnt sound that low will probably be enough), a 2" drop will probably give you more problems with hitting things or scraping on curbs etc. Especially the roads in TO ... arent the smoothest, unlike here in Ottawa. All the TTC tracks make the road a bumpy mess. If your even asking the question about being too low sounds like your like me and you aren't one of those freaks that goes by the motto "the lower the better"

I like to keep the functionality of my car higher on the list than slamming it to where it isnt driveable. You seem the same. With the Eibach Springs and the kit put in ... if you still think its to high then you can always change the springs to a lower one. Springs will cost yah pennies compared to a full out coilover, even if you have to change them more than once. That is the most cost friendly way to go.

But if you live over on Bridal Path, Rosedale or Yorkville and got the $$$ to burn. A full coilover is truely the best, just be sure to grease it up constantly during the winter and move it every so often.

Oh and putting the kit on and hoping it gonna look lower, nah, you see how your ride looks like an suv right now ... it will be even worse with a kit on and no drop. Best bet for your next step is get the right stance on your car (the drop) and then your kit.

And thats my 2 cents worth ...

L8tr

Last edited by AznHalfy; 05-14-2003 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-14-2003
Registered!!

flip114 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the advice AznHalfy! Really put things into perspective, and yea, i don't wanna lower too much, i still the functionality of driving to school everyday. Its true Downtown Toronto don't get so much snow, but i live just outside of Toronto in the city of Mississauga, here we can still get pretty bad snow fall for a day or two, before they clean it up. I think i'll prolly go for the eibach springs and find a Kiminari Lip Kit.