Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Lowering

Old 04-17-2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
Lowering

i have a stock sedan with 15 stealies.
i am thinking of lowering my car, but i have a couple of questions first
-my dealer told me something about lowering messes up something, does lowering mess up my car in anyway?
-i am thinking if 1.75" on goldlines, what will be the wheel gap? will i need a camber kit
-what is a camber kit
-i get tons and tons of snow in winter here, will that really matter
-what will change in the feel of my ride?
-will my wheels be hitting anything if i go over bumps and whatnot?
-is it easy to put back my stock springs?

i have no plans of changed my wheels
thanks

Last edited by player; 04-17-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
-yes the struts
-the wheel gap will be eh...I have 2.25' drop and it's DANG! (hella nice)
-to adjust your tires so it won't f' it up...any better ways to describe?
-more stiff
-no
-eh...you could DIY (installing and uninstalling)

Search
Old 04-18-2003
Support your local 81

bhaz413 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lowering

Originally posted by player
i have a stock sedan with 15 stealies.
i am thinking of lowering my car, but i have a couple of questions first
-my dealer told me something about lowering messes up something, does lowering mess up my car in anyway?
-i am thinking if 1.75" on goldlines, what will be the wheel gap? will i need a camber kit
-what is a camber kit
-i get tons and tons of snow in winter here, will that really matter
-what will change in the feel of my ride?
-will my wheels be hitting anything if i go over bumps and whatnot?
-is it easy to put back my stock springs?

i have no plans of changed my wheels
thanks
1.75 is a good drop, you will have plenty of room, and if you got 17's it would be a issue.
it wont mess up the car, just make sure you get your camber kit install and calibrated correctly, and a 4 wheel allignment.
snow wont be a issue, i live in the NE, and my old 6th gen was lowered at the same hight and it was cool
the ride will be so-so for about a week, before you blow the stock struts. and once you blow it, it will be very bouncy, and even dangerous. Get some new performence sturts. and as for installing them and reinstalling them. If you dont have the proper tools, you COULD screw somthing up. Do it with someone who has done it before, or take it to the shop, cause suspension is VERY important, and if it is installed wrong, something could happen, and it wouldnt be pretty

For example, my friend and his SI. He installed shocks and coil overs for the first time. He left out a washer that was on top of the shock mount, and while he was going down the highway, it blew out, and his shocks nearly busted out the hood. wasnt a good sight
Old 04-21-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i have goldlines, had them for 2 months or so. the ride is good. 9 out of 10 when compared to stock. the stance is nice and clean 100 times better than stock, about a finger gap all around on my coupe. i'm sure you will need new struts but how soon is up to how you drive and what kind of roads you drive on. i've heard of people blowing shocks within 2 weeks (how the hell they accomplished that feat is beyond me!) and i heard of people that have gone thousands of miles on them on factory struts.
i do suggest that you have them pro installed, suspension is a tricky thing if you arent 100% sure of what your doing.
Old 04-22-2003
Registered!!

Hazard5 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey people...i want to lower my car but im lagging because i wanna make sure i get the right springs and right price..i have a 03' civic LX and im not sure which springs are good..my friends said to get progress..and others say to get tein or eibach..which one should i get and what are good prices for these?..also if im going for only looks do i really need a camber kit and strut bar..etc.
Old 04-23-2003
Registered!!

AznHalfy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hazard ... when you wanna get the right pring I'd focus on the major companies Neuspeed, Eibach, Goldline, H&R.
If you wanna go about a 1.4 inch drop the H&R Sportilines and the Eibach Sportlines are good (1.5'). For a 1.7" drop your looking more into the Neuspeed Sports or Goldlines. 2.25' - 2.5' is more like a Neuspeed Race spring.
1) you must decide how low you want to go. A 1.7' drop will get you about 1 finger space between tire and wheel wells. You can use your imagination to see what the other drops would look like.

As for prices I am in Canada so ... for the Neuspeeds $330CDN for the Eibach's $360. Basically, your looking around $300-$400. Goldlines however, I think are the cheapest in price.

Camber kit all depends on how low you go ... if you get a Eibach prokit (1' drop) then you wouldnt need a camber kit. If you go more then most likely you will need one. But then again its all relative, some people just dont get them but will have to buy tires after 5 months instead of getting 1-2 years outta them.

The camber kit corrects the tilt of the wheel so that the tread of the tire hits the ground evenly, rather than ridin' on one side, hence wearing that side out much quicker. Camber kits only cost about $300 CDN for the whole kit ... so I think it'd be worth it. And for most drops, as long as its not hella slammed, won't need the front one's, due to the MacPherson Strut assembly in the front. So you will only need the rear and that means it will be cheaper.

Strut bars ... for looks only ... nah you wont need them but ... they will improve the stiffness of the car.

l8tr

Last edited by AznHalfy; 04-23-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2003
Registered!!

Hazard5 is an unknown quantity at this point
thnx aznhalfy..i wanna drop mine bout 2 inches...which one should i get ? progress or neuspeed?