Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Types of Drop Options: Overview (noobies)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AznHalfy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Types of Drop Options: Overview (noobies)

Ok I will attempt to discuss the differences between a true coilover, a sleeved coilover, and spring/strut combo.

A Sleeved Coilover
Basically when someone is talking about a sleeved coilover they are referring to GC's (ground controls) or Skunk2's. In simple terms what they consist of is the spring and the metal cylinder that is threaded "Sleeve" that can be adjusted to different heights.
For the Sleeved Coilovers, you still need struts. You can just use your OEM ones until they blow (depending on how low you drop it) or can pair them up with struts from KYB and Koni. Other companies do make replacement struts however these 2 seem to be good names, also because the KYB AGX's and the Koni Yellows are also adjustable. Unlike the Tokico's.
If you were gonna go with the GC's then I suggest pairing them with the Koni Yellow's (I think they are both made for each other ... or I heard something like that)

Potential Problems with Sleeved Coilover's
1) Some have reported that they hear a metal on metal type noise when turning or going over large bumps, creaking etc however most of the time it has been concluded that the problems were due to bad installations. Therefore, just like any car parts pick a reputable place to get your components installed, it will save you in the end.

2)Also, due to the sleeves being threaded, living in place with winter, salt can cause the threads to become seized or corroded during the winter. A solution to this problem would be to heavily grease up the threads before and maybe repeat applications throughout the winter. Also, adjusting them every once and a while will keep them from seizing aswell.

A True Coilover
A true coilover basically is the whole "shinnizzlle". It is the spring the threaded section paired with a strut. Although the most expensive, they are pure racing type components, like many said overkill for road use. Due to the fact that the whole unit is assembled to fit together perfectly, there is less occurances of problems (noises etc...) Companys to look for are Tein's.

Potential Problems with True Coilovers
Refer to Problem #2 above under the "Potential Problems with Sleeved Coilover's" section.

A Spring/Strut Combo
Basically this combo is simply changing your springs to give you a drop and adding in a set of aftermarket struts to complement the ride.
For springs you can choose from many different company's
Neuspeed, H&R, Eibach, Goldlines ... tonnes of them. Each one of the companys have different spring drops for each car so you should do you research on what ones you want, depending on how low you want to go.
Now for this combo you can just ride on your OEM struts, but depending on how low you go your struts will eventually blow out and you will have to get new one's. Basically, people notice that if you lower the spring but ride on factory struts the ride tends to be a little bit bouncy. Changing to aftermarket struts will definetely improve the ride and lessen the bounciness. Again good companys to look at are Koni's, KYB or Tokico (from most expensive to least expensive). However, as of right now only the Koni's are available for our cars.

Potential Problems with the Spring/Strut Combo
1) Basically, the spring drop will be constant ... so be careful when picking what type of spring you want because you won't be able to raise or lower it like the other to options above. Also, keep in mind if your getting rims to remember to leave enough space for an upsized tire, to prevent rubbing etc.

2) Some springs I have heard tend to make squeeking noises ... due to them not coming with isolators. Basically from what I understand the isolator is a rubber hose type covering that isolates the bottom few coils and prevents them from making the noise. This is due to the fact that the coils of the spring are not a consistent space apart from the top of the spring to the bottom. Often one side is "wound" closer together.

I hope this clears up some questions about potential drop options for their cars. If I have written any incorrect info please respond and let me know.

L8tr

Last edited by AznHalfy; 03-30-2003 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eddie5spdx is an unknown quantity at this point
Isn't Tokico more expensive than both KYB and Koni