Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Lowering with 17 or 18" rims? Springs or Coilovers? OPINIONS PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xxxcivic03xxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Lowering with 17 or 18" rims? Springs or Coilovers? OPINIONS PLEASE.

I just bought a 2003 Civic Sedan EX (silver) and love it! I have been shopping for rims for months and am ready to buy now. I am torn between Motegi MR7's and Enkei CDR9's (both silver). Any suggestions? I plan on buying springs or coilovers and dropping it 1.5-1.75 inches and am on a budget. I want to put on 18's with 40 series tires but was not sure if I could still drop it with out any problems occuring. What are the benenfits and negatives to both? Would 17 or 18's be better? I intended on going with Neuspeed springs or Skunk2 coilovers and later when my shocks blow getting Koni "yellows", KYB or Tokico shocks. Need advice on what to do and brands to purchase. Any help I can get on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

D
Old 03-20-2003
Registered!!

DizWikedCivic is on a distinguished road
if you want to lower it 1.5-1.75, go with spring i think u wouldnt have any problem with 18 w/ 40 series i have 17" 205/40/17 with a 2.75 drop w/ skunk2 coilover with no rubbing. and the only shock that aviable for our car is koni yellows
Old 03-21-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
why would your shocks blow with a 1.75" drop?? that amount of a drop enables the rest of the factory suspension to still work without problems, as long as you dont get some cheap k-mart springs that you find in the bargin bin.
IMO i personally like the motegi's. i am deceiding between those and Konigs Flatlines.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by 18secQuaterMile
why would your shocks blow with a 1.75" drop?? that amount of a drop enables the rest of the factory suspension to still work without problems, as long as you dont get some cheap k-mart springs that you find in the bargin bin.
IMO i personally like the motegi's. i am deceiding between those and Konigs Flatlines.
stock shock can blow with a 1.75 drop, it the just the matter of time, it can blow tommorow or a year and it depend on the way he drive his car
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

RoadRunner is an unknown quantity at this point
i personally like springs over coilovers, coilovers bounce really badly compared to springs. And around a 1.75 drop is good with 17 in rims. And the only shock available on the market for our car is the koni yellows, i do belive that tokico is makin shocks and soon will release them before summer. I emailed them a while ago to get some info.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

does anyone know if tokico are replacement like koni yellow or they are a full replacement
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by 18secQuaterMile
I dont think its the actual amount of drop, but rather the stiffer spring rate that after market springs have. My understanding is that the stock strut is to weak to handle the stiffness and occilation that an after market spring gives.
Old 03-21-2003
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
stock shocks blow quicker with a 1.75" drop because ya stiffer spring rates AND your reducing the full stroke by 1.75". its as if your shocks are being compressed 1.75" all the time... so ya not sure why that guy was saying 1.75" would be perfectly fine on stock shocks. on stock shocks the ride isnt too great and ya it blows faster...

whether you want 17s or 18s is a matter of preference.. for me nothing smaller then 18s.. ride quality, depends on the tires, 17s you can go with 40-45, 18s you can go with 35-40.

coilovers vs springs, i say go with springs because your on stock shocks and it gives a better ride. neuspeed sports is actually the ONLY spring i recommend on a SEDAN. should look pretty nice with 215-40-18s. for it wasnt low enough... i have the same setup its just mines a coupe, click below for pics..
Old 03-24-2003
Registered!!

xxxcivic03xxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey yall, thanks alot for all the great suggestions. Man this site is great. Being in the military I have little time for anything and I am just getting into the import thing. Getting all this feedback from others quit a bit more knowledgable then I on all this is so helpful. I am buying my rims online this weekend (215/40/18) and think I am gonna wait to see how it looks without a drop. Just don't want huge wheelwell gap. I may still want to drop it 1.75, and from what I'm hearing Neuspeed for a sedan is the way to go. Guess I'll get the Koni's later afer I save some more $$$. Thanks again.

D

D