Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Tire wear and camber kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MadDem13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tire wear and camber kits

Last year I bought 17 inch rims for my ride with 205/40/17 tires. About two months weeks ago, I added Neuspeed Sports to my coupe. I did not puchase rear camber kits... Apparently this was a big mistake. I started noticing noise coming from what appeared to be the rear tires. I put the stock wheels on and the noise disappeared. While I had the rims off, I decided to rotate them. Once I got the wheels back on, I noticed that the sound seemed to be coming from the front. Obviously, there had to be a problem with the tires/wheels. To my naked eye, I did not notice any uneven wear. I took the car to a shop and they said that the tires were indeed shot due to uneven wear. How could this be with such a small drop and in a short period of time?

Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and buy camber kits for the rear. I will most likey DIY b/c it appears simple enough. My next problem is that I do not see the SPC kits listed in the parts section. I see the Eibach and Ingalls kits... Am I missing something? I just want to get a good price on the kits...

1) Does anyone have any idea how the tires could have worn down so quickly?
2) Would someone point me in the right direction for the SPC kit?

Old 02-01-2003
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
well of course the tire is going to wear out unevenly.. the question just is, is it a big difference. what kind of tires do you have? my friend had tires that wore out in 10k miles. my tires have like a 50k mile warranty so the tire wear shouldnt be too badd after even 10k miles.
if you cant notice it with the naked eye, then its probably not a big enough difference..

but ya 1) cheap tires maybe
2) not sure about SPC but i know hondawerx.com has the ingalls for 138 shipped(both front and rear tho). groupbuy.com also should have the rear for $125 shipped.
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

zzzzzzzzzv is an unknown quantity at this point
you can get the SPC camber kit from Rob at tornactive what was the condition of your front tires btw?
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

MadDem13 is an unknown quantity at this point
The tires are Kumho 711 that I got in a package with the rims from Wheelmax.com. Upon further inspection, there is some visible wear on the tires. The strange thing is that each tread line (for lack of a better term) is worn differently... meaning that each line of tread in succession is worn to a different degree. This is what is so strange. There is a groove that runs along the circumference of the tire on the inside of the tread. In some places the groove looks new and in others it is not even visible. This change goes from one line of tread to the next. The tires themseleves only have 10,000 miles on them. The springs have only been on for two months. The extremely uneven wear (from one inch to the next) is what is creating the sound. It has the effect of the mud tires that rednecks use on their trucks... thus making them loud.

I would have expected the wear to be uneven in the sense that the inside would be more worn than the outside (due to the camber being off and the tires slanting outward). The shocking thing is that the outside is fine, the inside is worn, but the inside itself is not worn evenly. I don't understand how this happened...

Would the fact that I have lowering springs void a warranty? If not, how would I go about pursuing the warranty? I am guessing that I would have to bring the tires to a certified Kumho dealer?
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: MadDem13
The tires are Kumho 711 that I got in a package with the rims from Wheelmax.com.[hr]
Kumho's are soft, they wear quick.....I decided to buy some brand i did not know. Nankang, but they have 340 treadwear and i was later todl they are good tires. I bought 4 of them for about 250 i think.
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

well.. there are other factors besides camber that affects tire wear.

1) feathering - frayed outside edges caused by incorrect toe in or toe out
2) cupping - irregular wear caused by unbalanced tire, shock or suspension problems
3) incorrect camber - causes one side to wear out sooner

btw, tires need to be rotated every 5000 miles to prevent them from being cupped. how is the wear on your front tires?

here's some more info (sorry.. i don't have a scanner)

Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: cdmx
[hr]Originally posted by: MadDem13
The tires are Kumho 711 that I got in a package with the rims from Wheelmax.com.[hr]
Kumho's are soft, they wear quick.....I decided to buy some brand i did not know. Nankang, but they have 340 treadwear and i was later todl they are good tires. I bought 4 of them for about 250 i think.[hr]
THE UTQG RATING SYSTEM
The Federal Government established the UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) system to attempt to better inform consumers about the tires they are purchasing. It can be a useful tool in comparing tires from the same manufacturer. The UTQG is not a warranty or guarantee that a tire will last for a certain number of miles. It is simply a way to compare tires in three ways: Treadwear, traction, and temperature. The reason the UTQG is not good for comparing tires from different manufacturers is that the numbers and letters that make up the grading system are all relative to other tires by that manufacturer. Example: The first number represents the tread wear of the tire. If a certain manufacturer ranks their lowest mileage tire at 150 they would rank a tire that lasts twice as long at 300. If another manufacturer ranked their lowest tire at 250 they would rank a tire that lasted twice as long at 500. This does not mean that the 500 tire is going to last any longer than the 300 tire. The next letter(s) in the UTQG are for measuring the tires ability to stop in a straight line on wet pavement. This is not a measurement of the cornering ability of a tire. The rankings for traction from best to worst are AA,A,B,C. The last letter in the UTQG is used to measure the tires ability to dissipate heat. A tire that quickly dissipates heat will generally last longer than a tire that dissipates heat more slowly. The rankings for temperature from best to worst are A,B,C.
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

666 is an unknown quantity at this point
An alignment is very important after you lower any car. I just noticed today that my right front tire is wearing more on the inside and all the other tires are fine. This was probably due to a half *** alignment. In your situation your toe-in or toe-out may also be wrong causing uneven tire wear. Of course any tire will wear down quickly with incorrect settings, mine have only about 8,000 miles on them since I lowered it and that one tire on the right front has about 25% of the tread left on the inside half, and I have a tread wear rating of 300, traction A, and temperature of A (Nitto NT-450).