Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Ground Control Install Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaryC17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ground Control Install Instructions

Hello everyone, Any of you guys have the installation instructions/ pictures for the ground control coilovers with konis ? From one of the pictures on the Tein SS setup, I noticed that the owner had a set of coilovers before switching over to Tein. The height adjustment seems difficult to access, as the perch for holding the stock springs blocks it. Have yet to see the rear though. Is it adjustable as well ? Anyone with ground controls please enlighten. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Ground Controls are *much* easier to adjust than Tien's. The only full coilover set-up that's easy to adjust is JIC-Magic coilovers which are superior to Tien's... pretty much in every aspect.
Old 10-31-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
why is it harder to adjust true coilovers then sleeved coilovers?

DIY ground control #1 #2

some things to help you out...
koni
DIY detailed spring install(highly recommended you read)

oh and to "The height adjustment seems difficult to access, as the perch for holding the stock springs blocks it. Have yet to see the rear though. Is it adjustable as well ? " thats why you cut the front perch in order to go lower. dont cut it too much tho or else your gc's have nothing to sit on. and yes the rear is adjustable.. dont have to cut anything there.
Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

ASWZero is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: SoNiCcIvIc
Ground Controls are *much* easier to adjust than Tien's. The only full coilover set-up that's easy to adjust is JIC-Magic coilovers which are superior to Tien's... pretty much in every aspect.[hr]

Zell, are you comparing the Tein SS to the JIC FLT-A2s? You should know better than that. You know, the price of all the parts are similiar for similiar products in comparison. you should be comparing the FLT-A2s to the Tein Flex.
Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: VNlilMAN
why is it harder to adjust true coilovers then sleeved coilovers?

[hr]
The spring rates on the Teins are stiffer and that should contribute a lot to the ease of adjustment.
Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: ASWZero
Ground Controls are *much* easier to adjust than Tien's. The only full coilover set-up that's easy to adjust is JIC-Magic coilovers which are superior to Tien's... pretty much in every aspect.[hr]

Zell, are you comparing the Tein SS to the JIC FLT-A2s? You should know better than that. You know, the price of all the parts are similiar for similiar products in comparison. you should be comparing the FLT-A2s to the Tein Flex.[hr]
The irony is that I've never heard of the "Flex" from Tien.
Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

LadyInRed is an unknown quantity at this point
hello all, i'm new here. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] have just installed Ground Control with yellow Koni on my 2002 Civic sedan last week. i must say i love it! height adjustment at the rear is really simple too.

one question tho: my steering tie rod was horizontal and parallel to the body brace when stock. but after it was lowered, the steering tie rod forms a pronounced "V" shape. also, my steering wheel feel a bit "retarded" as it wasn't as responsive as before, and it didn't spring back to centre as naturally as before. can anyone enlighten me on this? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] thanks! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-01-2002
Registered!!

Chapobapo is an unknown quantity at this point
if i were to lower my car 2 inches would i have to cut my perch with skunk 2's?
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: LadyInRed
hello all, i'm new here. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] have just installed Ground Control with yellow Koni on my 2002 Civic sedan last week. i must say i love it! height adjustment at the rear is really simple too.

one question tho: my steering tie rod was horizontal and parallel to the body brace when stock. but after it was lowered, the steering tie rod forms a pronounced "V" shape. also, my steering wheel feel a bit "retarded" as it wasn't as responsive as before, and it didn't spring back to centre as naturally as before. can anyone enlighten me on this? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] thanks! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][hr]
You have to get your car aligned. THe cheaper way to do this(not recommended) is to install the tie rods upside down so you will not have the 'V' you are talking about. That should make up for some of the slop in turning. That is why your buy full coils. The turning response is almost nothing. Jerk the wheel about an 1/8 of a turn and you will in the next lane.

To fix the recentering, you will have to change your caster. The more caster you have the easier it will be for the car to go straight.
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: ASWZero

Zell, are you comparing the Tein SS to the JIC FLT-A2s? You should know better than that. You know, the price of all the parts are similiar for similiar products in comparison. you should be comparing the FLT-A2s to the Tein Flex.[hr]
The irony is that I've never heard of the "Flex" from Tien.[hr]
You would have contact Victor on it. He has a bunch backordered for his peeps. I should get them this week or next. I'll post pics of the install.

Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

LadyInRed is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]You have to get your car aligned. THe cheaper way to do this(not recommended) is to install the tie rods upside down so you will not have the 'V' you are talking about. That should make up for some of the slop in turning. That is why your buy full coils. The turning response is almost nothing. Jerk the wheel about an 1/8 of a turn and you will in the next lane.

To fix the recentering, you will have to change your caster. The more caster you have the easier it will be for the car to go straight.[hr]

hi ASWZero, yes i've actually aligned my car. that's why it still puzzles me. what are the implications like if i install the tie rods upside down, and why isn't it recommended? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

well GC may not be a full coil, but i guess it does serve its purpose well. moreover, its so easy to adjust. pardon me, but i thought the caster is not adjustable? how do i change the caster then, as what you've suggested? thanks. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: LadyInRed
hi ASWZero, yes i've actually aligned my car. that's why it still puzzles me. what are the implications like if i install the tie rods upside down, and why isn't it recommended? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] [hr]
When the tie-rods are up side down, gravity can get to it, that all. And techinquelly the tie-rod ends are pressed in and during full drop the tie-rods will get caught on the frame.

[hr]well GC may not be a full coil, but i guess it does serve its purpose well. moreover, its so easy to adjust. pardon me, but i thought the caster is not adjustable? how do i change the caster then, as what you've suggested? thanks. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
I know they are not adjustable, but you can slide the lower control arm back and forth a little bit to center the wheel in the wheel well. That should change your caster, but I do not how much. My left front it about 2.1 and my right is about 1.7(that was with the NEX coils). I know they are both with in spec but they are not the same. I also noticed that i turn right better than I turn left. Damn the california highways. All the on and off ramps all go right.
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

3rdcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
It is not possible to install the tie-rod ends from below on the strut arm. Reason being the hole in the strut arm is slightly conical (\ /). You would literally have to get the exact same angle bit and drill from below but you'd still have the problem with the tie rods interfering with the frame.

I have thought of doing all this too but with additional thought, I realized it wouldn't work.