Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

springs dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phlipsidez is an unknown quantity at this point
springs dilemma

OK, first off i want to say that i've searched through dozens of threads, the FAQ, and member's rides.

Next I want to say that I have 2001 4dr. EX, which (from what i've read) has differnent suspension from a 4dr LX, 4dr DX, etc.

Now my question is this, and i know it's been asked a million times before, but which springs?
I know vnilman recommends the neuspeeds because of the pics in the FAQ, but those are not EX models. I want to go as low as possible for my stock struts to last as long as possible and I really don't want to buy a camber kit (cause I am another poor *** college student). I've read that around 1.8-2" I'll be needing those things. So if neuspeed is a 1.7 drop then I should be ok? But then what happens when it settles a little? Doesn't it go over that 2" limit? My instincts say to buy the Eibach Prokit over any other like Sportlines or Neuspeeds. But will it be a noticable drop? Opinions please. And if you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say it. Thanks guys.

(btw, i have stock ex tires for now. probably be gonig to 215/45/17 when i get money)
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

2001CivicEx2dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Springs are made for either the 2 door or 4 door, those are the only differences in buying springs for the 7th gen civic. A 2 door EX would be the same as the 2 door DX, etc.. I have the neuspeed sports and it is noticable that it's dropped. I'll let someone else handle the rest of your q's because I don't want to risk giving incorrect advice.
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

02CiViCbOi is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i would go with the eibach..i have a 4 dr. EX and unfortunatly i bought the progress springs and my kar was DROPPED!! it was lowered bout 2 inches and sorta sags a lil in the back..but i put spring spacers in between the springs so it's not so low in the rear anymore..but with wut i have seen, most civics are lower or sag more in the rear.
Old 06-24-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
good you been doing some reading...
i'm thinking you got the idea that the 4 door ex suspension was different cause the h&r springs aren't made for that specific model... well from my understanding, the suspension is the same, only thing is something gets in the way and hits the springs or something.. but ya these are only with h&rs
IMO best springs for you are the neuspeed sports for 4 door. prokit, i dont think its low enough to even tell the car is dropped. even sports are kinda too high, but since your worried about blown struts and camber kit i reccomend those... as for sportlines, havn't seen them on a 4 door yet but i'm thinking the back might be slightly lower then the front(cause on coupes its an even drop i believe).
as for the sports settling past 2", dont think so... i wish it did tho cause i think that would be a nice drop.
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

Civey is an unknown quantity at this point

But will it be a noticable drop? Opinions please.

Noticable, you want handeling over the look. go with the eibachs the are the best bang for the buck. they dont slam your car but you certainly notice the differance in control. if you just want the look of a dropped car then get some coil overs and shocks. i just put on some 17's and i have about one inch of tire gap. im dropping it an inch this weekend, just to close it up. but really if you want looks then go get rims first, they completly change your look of the car.
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I just put the eibach prokit springs on my ex sedan. You can most certainly tell that it has been dropped. It's not sitting in the weeds but it looks a lot better. However, she has a big time saggy butt now. There is almost no room between the top of the tire and the outside of the fender well. I may post a before and after pic later. Oh, I had an alignment done and my front wheels all came within spec. The rear camber is sitting at -2.5 degrees. I am going to have to buy the rear camber kit to keep the wheels from wearing excessively on the insides. A one inch drop shouldn't have thrown the rear camber out that much. I had an accord in the past that was dropped 2" and the rear was only -2.5 degrees out. I don't know what happened.

Old 06-25-2002
The Standard One

i think it looks dropped cause its your car n you could notice small things like that, but ask any stranger and they'll say it looks stock... thats what most people said when i had the neuspeed sports for sedan on my coupe... it looks better with the right springs now but still not low enough to break peoples necks
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

Here is a pic of the car with the prokit springs.

Old 06-25-2002
The Standard One

front looks stock but back looks dropped..
i think this is how sportlines would look on a 4 door too, sagging rear
thats why i recommend neuspeeds for 4 door.. the pictures speak for themselves... kinda..
Old 06-26-2002
Registered!!

mbow, how does it ride?
btw, i think you're right vnilman, i think i'm going to go with the neuspeeds. thanks for the advice.
Old 06-26-2002
Registered!!

It rides pretty good actually. It gets harsh if you hit bad areas in the road on go over an elavation change. The rear is a little too low and is a bit harsher than the front. Otherwise, it handles and rides better. The ride is much firmer and more controlled than the stock setup. However, the saggy *** is bothering me and I have already ordered the neuspeed sports and front and rear spc camber kits.
Old 06-26-2002
Registered!!

cool, man... where did you order everything and how much?
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

HeRbaLuS is an unknown quantity at this point
i think the neuspeeds for the 4door is gonna be the only spring out there that will do the job without that horrible sag
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: phlipsidez
cool, man... where did you order everything and how much?[hr]

I ordered everything off the group buy center. The neuspeed sport springs were 144.95 shipped. The spc camber kits were $164 shipped. I was just going to get the rear kit to correct the camber problem with the eibachs but I am thinking the front may need them with the neuspeeds.
Old 06-27-2002

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
What about for a 2 door? I don't want a slammed car. I want sporty handling and a little bit more of an aggressive stance.

I can't afford Konis, so it's going to be springs only. I also don't want to be replacing struts every 2 months. Is that wishful thinking?

Which springs would you reccommend for less than a 2" drop, minimal saggy-butt and strut-friendly?

Right now the Eibach Sportlines are sounding good at a 1.4" drop.
Old 06-27-2002
The Standard One

sportlines are good too but they cost too much for me, thats why i'm a fan of neuspeeds and recommend them. its just as good as sportlines but cheaper
Old 06-30-2002
Registered!!

Decamo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Get neuspeed sports for your coupe. Juast make sure you get the 2dr model or you'll have to do what i did and cut a coil off the 4dr model springs.

members ride