Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

GC Sleeves w/ Blues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarkieMark will become famous soon enough
GC Sleeves w/ Blues

Hey guys! I've been riding on gc sleeves on blown shocks for a while now. Before the summer ends i want to get new shocks. Basically I'm done riding low. My front scrapes on bumps, bpipe scratches everything, etc(you get the pic). While all of you guys want to drop your cars I want to raise mine back up.

My current setup is gc sleeves on stock shocks. No rear camber kit. 195/55/15 tires. No gap in the front tight gap in the back.

What I plan is gc sleeves on tokico shocks. Rear camber kit. 195/65/15 tires. 1 to 2" of gap between tire and fender.

Now my question is since i'm not going low would the tokico blues handle this? Roads in my area are fairly smooth. I mainly just commute. I've seen some people on this forum with this setup and they seem to like it and some just dont. Help me out yall. EDIT: Also, what would you say is better shock overall blues or gr2? Better i mean durability, life, warranty.

Last edited by MarkieMark; 06-06-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2010
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GC Sleeves w/ Blues

That setup would be perfect. My vote would be blues > gr2
Old 06-06-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

ur will blow ur blues out if u drop it more than 1.5inches. tho they have a lifetime warrenty, its a pain in the *** to send em back in and get em back.
Old 06-06-2010
Registered!!

i don't plan on dropping it low. i want it to be close to stock height but with a 1" to 1.5" drop at most. what I'm scared of is if the gc are going to be too stiff(off the shelf spring rates)for the blues? sometimes i wish i had gone with the eibach prokits or h&r sports.
Old 06-07-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

GC are actually not as stiff as u think they are.

u can always get less stiff springs... just call up GC and tell them how stiff u want em.
Old 06-07-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
GC are actually not as stiff as u think they are.

u can always get less stiff springs... just call up GC and tell them how stiff u want em.
that's good to hear.
i guess I'm just going to go with the blues then.
Old 06-07-2010
Registered!!

anyone riding on this setup? can i get some feedback.
Old 06-07-2010
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

If your are worried about the blues go with the Koni/GC setup. Alot of ppl use that with great results.
Old 06-07-2010

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
If your are worried about the blues go with the Koni/GC setup. Alot of ppl use that with great results.
x2

that what i would recomend. the koni yellows are adjustable as far as dampening goes. and if u have it on their softest setting, the ride of ur car is pretty soft and very tolerable for a daily driver.

and when you want to rip it up in the canyons, give it some turn it up to full stiff, and you'll have ur self a car on rails...

as far as durability and longjevity, i have had them for 4 years, and have done about 80k miles on them @ a 4" drop. yes 4 INCH drop.

still good as new from the day i bought them.

(i have GC+yellows btw)
Old 06-07-2010
Registered!!

remmick69 will become famous soon enough

ive got gc on some blues... Ride is great, not bouncy at all.. not to soft but not to stiff either.... I like the setup ALOT! got 1 finger gap in the front with 215/40/18 and 1.5 finger gap in the rear.. levels the car off perfect... Doesnt make the *** look lower then the front.. Get the blues, you wont be dissappointed. O ya and buy new top hat bearings.
Old 06-08-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by remmick69
ive got gc on some blues... Ride is great, not bouncy at all.. not to soft but not to stiff either.... I like the setup ALOT! got 1 finger gap in the front with 215/40/18 and 1.5 finger gap in the rear.. levels the car off perfect... Doesnt make the *** look lower then the front.. Get the blues, you wont be dissappointed. O ya and buy new top hat bearings.
thanks for the heads up!
how long have you been on that setup?
yeah i think i'm going to go with the blues. i really don't want to dish out a lot of cash on shocks. i wish shocks were cheaper for our year cars. plus i drive like a granny(i'm not crazy for turns anymore).
Old 06-08-2010
Registered!!

qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all

if only u were in socal..im sellling my practically new blues for $300.
Old 06-08-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MarkieMark
thanks for the heads up!
how long have you been on that setup?
yeah i think i'm going to go with the blues. i really don't want to dish out a lot of cash on shocks. i wish shocks were cheaper for our year cars. plus i drive like a granny(i'm not crazy for turns anymore).
Been riding on the setup for about 8 months...Im happy with it. Plus you can find really good deals on blues. My cars just a DD.
Old 06-09-2010
Registered!!

does anyone know the shock diameter of the tokico blues made for 01-02 civics?
Old 06-09-2010

^why do u need to know that for? it doesnt matter really.

just make sure u get the one for the 01-02 because they have a 14mm bolt connecting the steering rod...where as the 03+ has a 16mm.
Old 06-09-2010
Registered!!

01-02 are 50mm 03-05 are 55mm.
Old 06-09-2010

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
01-02 are 50mm 03-05 are 55mm.
but that information is only really useful when ur planning to get the knoi yellows because they are insert-tubes. yes?
Old 06-09-2010
Registered!!

They sell different tokico's so its still useful in case he bought the ones for the wrong year.
Old 06-18-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I've done a lot of research and finally decided to go with GC Sleeves w/blues.
I'm a little confused though, and this is prob a total newb question.

I have a Canadian 2002 Si coupe, not an EP3. When I search the part number i got off tokico, the pictures I see of the tokico blues don't have the bracket that connects the tie rod end to the strut. Thats not a separate part is it??
Old 06-18-2010
Registered!!

Don't worry about the picture that's a generic one just get the ones for your year and you'll be set.
Old 06-18-2010
Registered!!

Also dont forget about these! Your gonna need them...Front strut bearing

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SHOCK+ABSORBER

Part# 9 and you need TWO!
Old 06-18-2010
Registered!!

02_d17a1_dx is an unknown quantity at this point

has anyone done the gc/ d spec set up? im wondering how much better it would be for the extra $250 for the adjustability of the d specs, also according to procivic.com's descriptions of the two, the blues are good for 2" drops without affecting ride quality and the d specs are good for 2.5" drops without affecting ride quality. Do they mean that they'll blow lower than that or that they'll just bounce more if you go lower than that? also, does anyone know of a better price for the gc's than $330? thanks.
Old 07-28-2010
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough

don't count on tokico for their lifetime warranty.

i installed brand new blues w/ new tein h-tech springs and the struts blew out in a couple months. tokico claimed they don't do warranty directly w/ customers. you have to deal w/ a tokico vendor but no vendor will do the warranty. all vendors claim the customer has to go back to tokico. it's a runaround game and i wouldn't doubt if tokico intended it to be this way.
Old 07-28-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If a manufacturer provides a lifetime warranty on their product they cant refuse to honor it. I would complain to Tokico that their vendor is refusing to accept your warranty and request an alternative way to claim your warranty.

Did you buy them from a ebay "vendor" or a real store?
Old 07-28-2010
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
If a manufacturer provides a lifetime warranty on their product they cant refuse to honor it. I would complain to Tokico that their vendor is refusing to accept your warranty and request an alternative way to claim your warranty.

Did you buy them from a ebay "vendor" or a real store?
easier said than done...every authorized vendor refused to warranty them for me because tokico hasn't provided them any way to return the defective products to the manufacturer or provide compensation for the time spent doing the warranty work. tokico refused to help because they claim they can't ship directly to customers.

and no, they were not from ebay. they were from a deadbeat civicforum vendor...

anyway, i won't be buying any more tokico products in the future. the quality was poor and the customer service was even worse.

Last edited by turboslug; 07-28-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Miyagi is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm running a dspec+gc setup ride is crazy good. im not sure if the dspecs will blow out quick w/ the gc setup, who knows. Some say they will some say they will last, i guess it depends on road conditions and how you drive. so far so good.