Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

beginner mods???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pongo08 is an unknown quantity at this point
beginner mods???

so im planning on buying a '01 ex. the guy im gonna buy it from melted down the springs 3 months ago??? anyway, that doesnt matter cause im gonna replace both springs and shocks the second i get it. my question is which brands for those mods? also, what else can be affected buy what he did? i need this car to last a little while so give me the rundown. also, im not looking to hot rod this thing. if thats what i wanted id get an si. thanks!!
Old 10-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: beginner mods???

Hot rod? I dont think you can make a civic a hot rod but I could be wrong lol
Just put new springs, if he rode with the springs cut long enough you probably need new shocks too. Hopefully there is no undercarrage damage check the wheel wells before you buy it to make sure everything looks ok.
Old 10-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

get full coilovers so you can adjust the height to your liking. Good brands include Tein, Progress, D2, etc
Old 10-10-2009
Registered!!

so i got the car and have decided on tein s-tech's, but now idk which shocks/ struts. i had my mechanic look the car over and he said i definitely need to replace them, but hes not much into the tuning world so he didnt say which brands to look at. if i had the money id just go with tein coilovers, but i dont. so far what ive had recomended are koni blue/ koni yellow, and another brand that i dont really care to remember. ive read mixed oppinions about the blues. any help?
Old 10-10-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Hot rod? I dont think you can make a civic a hot rod but I could be wrong lol
Just put new springs, if he rode with the springs cut long enough you probably need new shocks too. Hopefully there is no undercarrage damage check the wheel wells before you buy it to make sure everything looks ok.
yes you are wrong (no offense)

people have put the corvette's LS engine in their civic before. so that defines it as a hot rod. lol
Old 10-10-2009
Registered!!

Bloody Arro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pongo08
so i got the car and have decided on tein s-tech's, but now idk which shocks/ struts. i had my mechanic look the car over and he said i definitely need to replace them, but hes not much into the tuning world so he didnt say which brands to look at. if i had the money id just go with tein coilovers, but i dont. so far what ive had recomended are koni blue/ koni yellow, and another brand that i dont really care to remember. ive read mixed oppinions about the blues. any help?
I personally like the KYB AGX shocks/struts. Fully adjustable.
I, also, personally don't like coilovers because of the rough ride.
Old 10-11-2009
Registered!!

are bilsteins any good? theyre more pricy, but are they worth it?
Old 10-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah most autox guys use em. good quality.
Old 10-11-2009
Registered!!

how about for a daily driver?
Old 10-12-2009
Registered!!

tknaub is an unknown quantity at this point

i would get neuspeed or megan racing upper tie bar and lower X brace for the front and for the rear an upper tie bar and a lower tie bar
Old 10-13-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^those would be the very last thing i would do to my car. for the most part those are just cosmetic mods, if you ever talk to the suspension gods they will tell you close to the same thing. but if your trying to make the guts of your car look good by all means get those bars. i think you would enjoy other mods more rather some silly little bars. like an intake or something
Old 10-13-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

I will say I love tokico shocks/struts the blues are great as long as the drop is not low enough I think you can run s-techs on it but I can't remember the drop on those. the Tokico d-specs have adjustable dampening a little more priceyier and can handle a lower drop like 1.8 in the front and 2.0 rear possibly 2.0 in the front not sure though can't remember. but mind you with the adjustablity a half turn on a d-spec can literally be night and day.

as for bars for most of the people that have done suspension on their cars on here they are worthless it gives a false feeling of stability. so the car feels faster but it really isn't. If you can adjust the suspension according to the bars it is a different story and you can actually use the bars to stiffen the chassis. I am not going to lie I am bar happy in the back end of my car I have lower progress tie brace, megan upper tower brace, and a d3 designs rear V-brace. But I have adjusted everything to compensate and my car also does not drive like a civic.

If i was going your route I would get a nice set of shocks/struts to go with the springs and then a nice rear sway bar and call it a day
Old 10-13-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

dbl post FTL some times I think this site needs to get Double stuffed lol
Old 10-15-2009
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bloody Arro
I personally like the KYB AGX shocks/struts. Fully adjustable.
I, also, personally don't like coilovers because of the rough ride.
KYB AGX are not fully adjustable. The only true fully adjustable shocks are Tokico D-Specs.
Old 10-15-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bomerman19
I will say I love tokico shocks/struts the blues are great as long as the drop is not low enough I think you can run s-techs on it but I can't remember the drop on those.
the s-techs drop is about 1.4 i think. definitely no more than 1.5. is that good for blues? also, im looking at koni yellows. which one is a better candidate?
Old 10-15-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think blues can handle upto 1.7 inch of drop. they are pretty firm shocks and you will get a good beating in the winter from all the bumps in the road, but they will keep the ride from sagging and looking bad. just dont expect the soft cushy ride the stock shocks offer.
Old 10-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i say full progress coilovers there not very expensive there extremely well built and they will last. at full drop the ride is extremely comfortable there really good coilovers.
Old 10-16-2009
Registered!!

I think gear box is right I think they can handle a 1.7 inch drop. I have ridden in a couple cars that had them and I liked them. But I have d-specs and I love them I am totally sold on tokico the make good products the only time you really hear any one complaining is when they have blown them from going to low. konis I have just never really been impressed especially with that wack a strut install

as far as coilovers I try to persuade people away from getting them too much adjustabilty and the user more than likey will never get them setup as good as they could be. I think they are perfect for the guy that runs the same lap time on the course every time down to the millisecond. cause he can see the difference on the clock if he makes a good or bad adjustment. the butt dyno is nice but just not very reliable.
Old 10-16-2009
Registered!!

alright, thanks alot guys.